Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was somewhere -3 to -7 overnight here, and still somewhere 0 to -3 this morning. I filled up with diesel from Pilot yesterday on my drive home, and am around probably 4/5ths full still. I started it up this AM, and heard a constant whine from the time it was started up. It starts and idles fine, but after finally getting it a bit warm and heading out, I got maybe 1/2 mile before the truck sputtered and lost power and the engine shut off entirely. I was able to start it back up, and again - idled fine, but as soon as I put load on it to get going, I could go for maybe 300 feet before it would sputter again and the engine would shut off.

Anyone had issues with their diesel gelling? I'd expect that Pilot in this month and area would have decent stabilizer in the diesel. I don't recall seeing any suggestions of specific anti-gel additives in the manual, but need to check again. Any tips or suggestions that this might not be a fuel gelling issue?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't count on a truck stop to put in Diesel anti-gel supplements. Most big chain truck stops do not. Always ask at the counter if they have blended fuel. And if you are not sure Power-service and Howe's are your friends. By the way, where are from.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd bet it's the Pilot fuel. That whine is likely the fuel pump pushing that cold fuel up front. It's been pretty cold here too and no problems so far. -18 the other morning, and started and ran fine.. of course the block heater was plugged in all night so at least the oil was warm.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't count on a truck stop to put in Diesel anti-gel supplements. Most big chain truck stops do not. Always ask at the counter if they have blended fuel. And if you are not sure Power-service and Howe's are your friends. By the way, where are from.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I've only got a couple options for diesel - in the case of the truck stop, I wasn't fueling from the truck pumps, but rather the regular auto diesel pumps. They should always have winterized blends there. I've asked before when I had my Touareg and got a "Yeah sure" kind of answer - clearly had no idea/didn't care.

I normally get it from the BP nearby - though 2 years ago I had the diesel from BP freeze up in my Touareg and murder the fuel pump also.

While the truck is under warranty, does anyone know if there is a GM-approved additive? It has about 2000 miles on it, and I don't want to put any diesel additives in and have GM/Chevy tell me that my warranty isn't going to be honored on it if I have an injector or a high pressure pump fail, etc.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Power Service makes a product called Diesel 911 just for what you are describing. Google it. It's available everywhere including Walmart. You may want to also get some white bottle Power Service for this brutal cold we are experiencing.

I looked at weather.com and the high/low for Minneapolis this weekend is -5/-16 :surprise:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are we generally sure that GM/Chevy is OK with using Powerservice/etc?

I recall in the past doing this for a friend's older truck, and the instructions involved pulling the fuel filter and pouring the de-gel into it as well. Is that going to also be necessary on the Colorado's diesel? Haven't actually looked into the fuel filter at all on it yet - to even know where it is.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I would not think it would be an issue with our trucks. If it will idle it may be where the fuel is somewhat still making it to the engine and the filters are not totally gelled. I'd try a bottle in the tank and see if that will make it through the system and work it's magic.

It is suppose to contain lubrication additives so I don't think it will have any adverse effects.

I use the white or silver bottles in the recommended dosage at each fill up. Never any issues.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Sounds like you got some water. Change filter's asap. They are really easy to change. 1 1/16" socket and a bucket. Use a demulsifier additive only ,so water will drop out into filter and not mix with fuel and go thru injectors. Stanadyne is an excellent diesel additive and is a demulsifier. Whatever you decide to throw in the tank, change filters soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is my first winter with a diesel and was (am?) a bit concerned about freezing fuel. However yesterday truck was parked outside for about 9 hours in 10F with only about a quarter tank full. Went out after work and it fired right up, though it did run a bit rougher than normal for a minute or two. Think the last time I bought diesel it was from Meijer. Filled up again yesterday at a different station and again was parked outside all day at around 10F and still fired right up. I park in a garage at home so if it gets brutally cold overnight, that doesn't really concern me.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Sounds like you got some water. Change filter's asap. They are really easy to change. 1 1/16" socket and a bucket. Use a demulsifier additive only ,so water will drop out into filter and not mix with fuel and go thru injectors. Stanadyne is an excellent diesel additive and is a demulsifier. Whatever you decide to throw in the tank, change filters soon.

We do have a WIF sensor so if some water did get into the fuel then it will indicate that on the dash. I wouldn’t pull or replace the filters yet, give Diesel 911 a chance first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
We do have a WIF sensor so if some water did get into the fuel then it will indicate that on the dash. I wouldn’t pull or replace the filters yet, give Diesel 911 a chance first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope the sensor would indicate water, but i had picked up some water on my 6.6L LML and the sensor decided to not set WIF message, i suspect it wasn't enough water to get the float high enough to trigger message. But i agree, additive first then get rid of the filters, any water in the seperator and filters will just freeze if left out in sub zero.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I seriously doubt that it is water. Diesel will gel at various temperatures based on what additive and type of diesels fuel was purchased. The gelling is usually at the filter as it captures the smallest parts of the fuel there. As additives are added tot he fuel it's mileage goes down and the expense goes up. Since my source of diesel is from a local farm tank I do not have a choice on the type of fuel I get. The tank is filled with summer mix only. With the little I use in the winter for snow removal I mix 5% gasoline to thin it out. The couple of time I forgot to do cause me a problem below about 15 or 20 degrees. The engine never stopped but I had to limp back home to get some gasoline to add. There are several diesel fuel additives on the market that will do the same thing. I did install an electric heater on the filter of a Case tractor one time. It only ran when the alternator was running. It heated the summer blend fuel enough to eliminate the gelling problem down to about -10 F. On my John Deere tractor there is an engine coolant heat transfer device (heat exchanger) that preheats the fuel prior to it going through the filter and fuel pump.

Most retail outlets for diesel, other than truck stops, sell winterized diesel direct at the pump. Stay away from truck stops as a source for auto diesel in the winter. If you do run into problems with paraffin gelling in your fuel, throw 1/2 to 1 gallon of gas in the diesel tank to get you going again.

Here is the supplement I usually use:
Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost | Power Service
Available here:
Where to Buy | Power Service
and also Walmart:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Diesel-Fuel-Supplement-Plus-Cetane-Boost-32-oz/16644698

·
Registered
459 Posts
The stanadyne performance formula is the only diesel fuel additve approved by many OEMs, and the only one approved by GM (That I know of). http://www.dieselmanor.com/docs/stanadyne/MB-2046-OEM-Approvals-June-2000-2.pdf

It is a strong additive. That has anti-gel properties and also contains 2-EHN to boost cetane 3-5 points. Treatment rate is ~400:1, 0.256 oz or 7.57 mL per gallon of fuel.

Get yourself a cheap, small mouth polypropylene beaker on Amazon so you can measure out the additive accurately. [ame]https://www.amazon.com/100mL-Graduated-Cylinder-Polypropylene-Autoclavable/dp/B00AITZUMQ/ref=sr_1_18_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1514532622&sr=8-18-spons&keywords=100ml+beaker&psc=1[/ame]

Do not overdose as it is very strong. If you have excessive blowby or idle for long periods, stanadyne can also thin out your oil. This shouldn't be an issue though as your truck is new.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! It was towed into the dealer last night since I'm under warranty - GM roadside took it in. Going to see what they have to say as it threw numerous lights on top of the CEL. I got an email from Onstar telling me I was required to take it in for service within 1 day. Interesting.

Hopefully this is all it was, but I suppose there is some chance that the fuel pump actually failed or similar. If it is, I'll check with them on their stance on additives and which they consider OK. Will grab a couple de-gel bottles to keep in the truck once I find out. Then grab some normal additive.

For those of you who use it - I've used it before on larger/older diesels where I have like 2x 30gal tanks. It's pretty easy at that point, you aren't filling them often, or you're on commercial mileage where it's being paid for. For this little 20 gal tank, how are you guys purchasing this stuff?

Also, do we need to use a funnel to get past any evap emissions type equipment on the fuel filler for it? Obviously older diesels you practically just have a cap to the tank itself. I know modern vehicles tend to have over-fill protections, vapor purge equipment, etc in their fuel fillers which prevent you from easily pouring additives in. I'd hate to pour a $5 bottle of additive into an overflow canister.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'll stick with my gasser.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just had almost the same issue with mine. Sounded like the fuel pump was screaming and would die within about 30 seconds. Towed to a dealer. They thought at first it was gelled fuel but after talking with GM they think it's the fuel pump and have one on order.

·
Banned
280 Posts
Last night: Yup me too. I have a battery tender and a core heater. Temp -8 F . It would crank, then start...run for 10 seconds and die. The fuel pump made a scream when I first turned key.
Today (now -2) ...core heater on and tender. drained the fuel filter(removed and wiped off as only half thru mileage) reinstalled filters.
Primed the pump. It did not scream ... just that quiet humming sound for 30 seconds. Now the engine cranks but won't catch.
I have put in 8 oz. of 911 Diesel additive. I have a full tank of fuel.
I have heard a blow dryer on the intake manifold? but haven't tried it yet.... just inside warming up.

any ideas? I live 40 miles in hills away from dealer. I called and he said "ya sounds like something ain't working" ....thanks.

BTW where is the fuel pump located...can I get a hair dryer heat on it?

·
Registered
754 Posts
I live 40 miles in hills away from dealer. I called and he said "ya sounds like something ain't working" ....thanks.
At least he didn't say "ya they all do that":wink2:

·
Banned
280 Posts
Last night: Yup me too. I have a battery tender and a core heater. Temp -8 F . It would crank, then start...run for 10 seconds and die. The fuel pump made a scream when I first turned key.
Today (now -2) ...core heater on and tender. drained the fuel filter(removed and wiped off as only half thru mileage) reinstalled filters.
Primed the pump. It did not scream ... just that quiet humming sound for 30 seconds. Now the engine cranks but won't catch.
I have put in 8 oz. of 911 Diesel additive. I have a full tank of fuel.
I have heard a blow dryer on the intake manifold? but haven't tried it yet.... just inside warming up.

BTW where is the fuel pump located...can I get a hair dryer heat on it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in North Dakota. This past week it has been dipping below -20 at night. I haven't had a problem but I watch the weather. I topped off with straight #1 before the snap started so was running at about a 30% #1 mix. When I filled next I used the station's 50/50 mix. I do put stanadyne in my fuel as well. I usually fill at a quarter tank so it only takes 4oz to treat that fuel. Above 0 i run straight #2. I would avoid using gasoline.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts