Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Front Locker Benefits?

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  2019RedZR2 
#1 ·
One of the appeals of the ZR2 is having a front locker. A lot of people don't use it and only use it when needed, which makes sense. However, I noticed that when people do use the front locker, it allows them to slowly get through things in a more controlled manner, putting less stress on the rest of the truck.

For example take two trucks the Taco and ZR2. In certain situations the Taco will be relying on crawl control where as the ZR2 will just full lock the front. What I've noticed in videos watching the ZR2 with the front locker on is if you're going about it smart, it seems to put less overall stress on the truck when using it. Has anyone else noticed that?

In situations where you don't have a front locker, I see a lot of people using speed/momentum, where as the ZR2 can climb things in a more slow, controlled manner.

With that said, is one of the benefits having a front locker less overall wear and tear on the structure of the truck?

#4 ·
The main benefit I can see over a front locker or both lockers for that matter is you can make tight turns with no risk. You definitely do NOT want to cut a hard turn with your front locker engaged. And in some very rare cases, you might need to, and hope it doesn't blow a CV. BTW, Taco guys still opt to install a front locker when they do a regear. Sometimes you just need a fully locked rig that you can hammer down with to get through loose/muddy conditions. Crawl can only help so much in those situations.

I came from a raw, no traction control, no crawl control, TRD Sport with a blown out LSD, so yes, you need to "bump" things to get up obstacles. It is definitely hard on the suspension and steering, but it makes you think about line choice. I was also supercharged, so I had to factor in how not to blow CV's all the time. Never did blow one, so that was a plus. Now with the ZR2, I just make sure the line looks like I won't get hung up and inch my way through. The 35's help too, but I used this same methodology when it was bone stock. Point and go.

#5 ·
I see a lot of good points in this post.

I think a guy should start off road with a bare bones truck without lockers or any traction control. This type of learning will pay great dividends later when a more capable truck is thrown into the mix.

I use the same mentality as you @5678ta. I treat my truck like it’s a bare bones truck and it goes wherever it needs to. I’ll probably regret saying this but it’s actually kinda boring at times having a point and shoot 4x4.

Lockers (F/R) combined with a better low range transfer case ratio and large tires is not good for a guy just starting out imho.

#8 ·
I live in the mountains, so I almost never see mud like they have in the southeast. So the locked up, slow, and mostly worried about not getting hung up on things strategy is almost universally the way to go.

The big thing that I deal with frequently that hasn't been mentioned is snow. I will typically step my way up through the traction ladder. 2wd is usually fine, but if the roads get dicey (which is always an intermittent thing here due to shadows from canyon walls, temperature changes with altitude, and so on), I'll put it in 4auto. If conditions are uniformly snowy, I'll do 4hi. If from there I get stuck, I'll lock the rear. If I'm STILL stuck, I'll lock the front. I've never had to go beyond that, and I've never been stuck for longer than it takes to step through the traction aids. Studded snows are an always during the winter months.

In terms of comparing the computer controlled brake based systems and user controlled lockers, I'll take the lockers every time. Unless I have access to the code base and can know how it'll respond in response to what, it's unpredictable and a liability at best. If I have complete control, there are no surprises other than what the world throws at me. My ability to handle those externally imposed surprises is what makes it fun for me. If I'm dealing with self-imposed surprises, that means I rectify that surprising facet (get rid of the computer controlled brake based traction aids, and get user controlled lockers).

#10 ·
My ZR2 does not have a front locker (older model) and I have a 45 degree decomposed granite hill (hill is a bit of an understatement) to conquer 4-6 times a week. I have to rely on speed, which places an enormous strain on shocks, and I have blown out a few. My intent is to install an ELocker on the front ASAP after the new Colorado is delivered.

#12 ·
Yes, lockers are something you normally don't need but worth their weight in gold when you need them.

But they are certainly not the end all. When I had my Power Wagon, lockers still didn't work on 2 occasions. 1 was deep snow that had a couple inches of ice in it. Truck broke through and was sitting on the frame, tires not even touching the ground. Found out the charging system wasn't up to the task that night too. Took me a couple hours but the winch paid for itself that night.
The other was on a muddy hill that 12 other rigs went up, just barely & was real tore up by my turn, I was last. I made it about 3/4 of the way up but had to winch the rest. Had my dual battery set up then & it made a huge difference when winching. Motor never even changed pitch or sounded labored.

The torque of the diesel and the lockers have allowed me to idle over/up things in MOAB that others have had to use momentum to get up & were not in control at all. Much harder on the vehicle.

The ultimate midsize truck, Imho, is that taco that Marlin Crawler has. 580:1 gear ratio. It has lockers but hardly ever uses them because with 40" tires & 580:1 gears, it literally crawls up stuff by itself !!! Look it up on YouTube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.