Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been talked about a lot but I have a 4000mile old 2017 SLT Diesel. LOVE it. LOVE it! BUT... there is a rattle turning left coming from the area it seems close to the speaker by the corner of the window and A Pillar. I hate to take this back to the dealer and start that potential back and forth. No real time either. I am very proficient at working on things and I have been driving myself MAD trying to stop this noise. I have gone thru the whole front driver fender bolts, door, mirror, popped the dash back and put soft weather stripping on anything that seems like it could make a noise. I have even gone to the extend to pack insulation behind the gauge cluster. ANYPLACE I can figure it might be coming from. I have looked all over the firewall inside and in the engine compartment, adjusted the hood stops... on and on.

I cant be the only one with this problem. I wouldnt think anyway... I am about to take my canyon on a 2 week trip around the Utah desert and I am worried this will drive my totally insane every mile and every left turn I take

Can anyone offer me any advice or new places to look?? I feel like this is one of those things that could be so obvious the answer is staring me right in the face and I am looking so hard I cant see it

thanks All

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
take it to the dealer if you have the time, and tell them to holdit until it's fixed. after 30 days you can lemon-law it.

they have been unable to fix my rattle and it drives me insane.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
An easy to fix possible source to look at is the ECM. It is on the passenger side firewall and is a heavy piece of aluminum held in place by plastic clips. It can be removed with no tools.

Put some self stick closed cell weather striping behind it and reinstall. My truck had a low frequency rattle that was hard to directionally place. Problem solved when I did this to my truck's ECM. The diesel puts out a low thumping vibe that rattled the ECM.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
84 Posts
I will second the vote for the ECU. It may even be loose like mine was. The vibration transmitting though the firewall sounded like it was coming from the left-center of the dash in my case. I secured it (with a strategically placed c-clamp and have been noise free since.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The ECU can rattle in it's mount. The result is a dull buzz that tends to occur in a very narrow RPM band just above idle.

There is a plastic spacer between the fender and unibody structure just behind and above the center of the wheel well arch. Thump your fender gently with your fist between the bottom of the windshield pillar and center of wheel well arch. The inside of the spacer rattles against the unibody structure and makes an obnoxious sheet metal noise. This rattle occurs over a wider RPM range and gets worse with age/mileage. Both sides have these spacers and I wouldn't be surprised if they all eventually rattle. The fix is to pull the tire and wheel well liner, then squirt some RTV between the spacer and unibody. Hit the area around the two inner attach points. I have posts elsewhere on this board with pictures that you can search for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.