Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree with Iamscotticus replace original oil early. I use AMSOIL. I replaced engine oil at about 2K with European Car Formula 5W-30 Improved ESP Synthetic Motor Oil (DEXOS 2 approved) and just changed front and rear differential oil with AMSOIL Severe Gear® 75W-90 at 4K. I just had to have Torque converter replaced because of Shudder issue (they put in Mobile 1 Synthetic LV ATF Dextron HP).
Also AMSOIL Severe Gear® 75W-90 now comes in new squeezable container so just insert and squeeze at any angle (works great).

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
589FAB is working on a rear diff cover, that's what I'm waiting on for my fluid change.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm either blind or I need to drop the transfer case skid in order to see it, but I could not find the transfer case fill hole on my Bison. Transfer case drain and differential plugs look just like the pictures.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
sorry for the rotation. the website. fix the website please.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yep, I stuck my phone up in there and got a pic. Definitely would have to drop the skid plate to do anything with it.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
fill

Attachments

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I didn't drop my plate. Yes, it was messy, but my pan is large.
I used an adjustable crescent wrench to fit between the pan and plate. it took some tricky fingering to hold the plug in place for tightening, but doable.
you can remove the plate if things get tricky.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I started this thread when I decided to change the Front and Rear Differential, Transfer Case fluid on my 2015 Canyon. That truck had about 59,000 miles on it when I purchased it. Last year I got a new 2018 Canyon and it now has 15,000 miles on it. I decided to change the Rear Differential Fluid today and took a photo of the drain plug and paper towel after I cleaned off the magnetic plug. There was a sizable amount of crud on the plug. I think I will change the fluid again next year so I can try to compare the amount of crud from break-in to normal wear. The differential fluid is easy enough to change, so why not?

Bill

unnamed.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did mine at around 15000 km and was glad I did. Rear diff drain plug (magnetic for those who are unaware) had about 3/16" later of fine shavings. The fluid itself had some decent sized shavings going out of it as it was draining. Front diff and transfer case were much better. Added larger tires and did a lot more off roading since then so we'll see what it looks like next change.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
I changed the front differential fluid too. The fluid coming out appeared pretty clear, but there was more crud on the magnetic drain plug than I expected. See attached photos.

Bill

Image1.jpeg Image3.jpeg .

·
Registered
200 Posts
Found some videos done on a 2017 z71.
  • Transfer case:
  • Rear diff:
  • Front diff:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Found some videos done on a 2017 z71.
I have used his YouTube videos on several occasions. The Pop-N-Lock installation made it very straight forward.

Bill

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I haven't read all of this thread, but I think I'll get some oil for the rear differential so I have it around when I do my next tire rotation. That would make the job a piece of cake, and also you could let it drain the entire time you take to rotate the tires.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts