*EDIT: While looking into having my automatic transmission fluid changed, I
discovered that the recommended fluid for the trans and transfer case
should be a DEXRON VI fluid. Mobil 1 LV ATF HP fluid is DEXRON VI and has
GM part number 19353429. I am going to change it to the proper fluid.*

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just changed mine a few hours before you posted this. Would've been nice to see this! Definitely not a hard job though. I will definitely use that picture to do my transfer case though.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice pictures. This will be a good reference! Thanks for posting.
Just changed mine a few hours before you posted this. Would've been nice to see this! Definitely not a hard job though. I will definitely use that picture to do my transfer case though.

Thanks - After I did this, I went to this I went to the dealership for one of my free oil changes that came with the truck. This would have cost me $350 for them to do this. I'm trying to decide if I want to attempt a transmission drain and fill.

Bill

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks for posting. This is next weekend's project for me.

How much did the front and rear take, total?

I picked up 4 quarts of Redline 75W-90 last night, along with 2 quarts of Castrol Dexron VI for the TC. Am I good to go?

·
Registered
59 Posts

I picked up 4 quarts of Redline 75W-90 last night, along with 2 quarts of Castrol Dexron VI for the TC. Am I good to go?
You should only need between 2-2.5 quarts total for the front and rear diff.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

You should only need between 2-2.5 quarts total for the front and rear diff.

That should be about right - I used about 4 quarts of 75W-90 (spilled some) and a little less than 2 quarts of the ATF for the transfer case. I based the amount I bought on Amzoil's website:

Differential
  • FRONT - CAPACITIES: Front 2.7 pints (1.35 quarts)
  • REAR - CAPACITIES: With 8.00 RG Rear 3 pints (1.5 quarts)
  • REAR - CAPACITIES: With 8.60 RG Rear 3.2 pints (1.6 quarts)
I assume the 8.60 RG Rear is the 4WD version - maybe some here can verify.

Transfer Case
  • CAPACITIES: MP1622G-NQ7 4 pints (2 quarts)
  • CAPACITIES: MP3025G-NQ6 4 pints (2 quarts)
I''m not sure of the differences between the two transfer cases but the volume is the same for both.

Bill

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
UPDATE: While looking into having my automatic transmission fluid changed, I discovered that the recommended fluid for the trans and transfer case should be a DEXRON VI fluid. Mobil 1 LV ATF HP fluid is a DEXRON VI fluid and has GM part number 19353429. I am going to change it to the proper fluid.

BTW, this is the same trans fluid the dealership used on my 2016 Camaro SS to treat the trans shudder problem. So far, so good on that issue.

Bill

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Thanks wrankin for posting a how to so well done that anyone could understand it. Gotta love these drain and fill plug setups. I've had vehicles that have no drain plug. You had to remove the whole cover or siphon out what you can through the fill plug.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks wrankin for posting a how to so well done that anyone could understand it. Gotta love these drain and fill plug setups. I've had vehicles that have no drain plug. You had to remove the whole cover or siphon out what you can through the fill plug.

Thanks 404 Not Found

I have never done this before, but finding that the fill and drain plugs were easily accessed, I decided to go ahead and dive in. I had my 2004 Colorado done by someone else. I'm not sure if it's as easy as the 2nd gens or not.

Bill

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks - After I did this, I went to this I went to the dealership for one of my free oil changes that came with the truck. This would have cost me $350 for them to do this. I'm trying to decide if I want to attempt a transmission drain and fill.

Bill
You may need to take it to a shop to have them pump out the oil in your torque converter. I had to have a shop do my 2014 sierra because of the tq converter or I would have done it myself. Let us know what you find out plz!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You may need to take it to a shop to have them pump out the oil in your torque converter. I had to have a shop do my 2014 sierra because of the tq converter or I would have done it myself. Let us know what you find out plz!
I ended up having a local mechanic change the trans fluid. I provided the fluid since I wanted wanted the DEXRON VI approved Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP. I ordered it online because it's hard to find locally except at the dealerships, and they wanted almost $20 a quart. I ordered it from TheLubricantStore.com

Also, as an added benefit, it seems like the trans shifts a little smoother now.

Bill

·
Registered
268 Posts
For the differential rear gear oil change does one need to add the rear gear oil additive? This is my first Chevy truck and on my Dodge trucks this was required. I couldn’t find any references to this for the Colorado so I wanted to be sure - thanks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have not heard that yet. My old Durango was the same way. It needed a "friction modifier" added to it. My understanding was it was a kind of super slickem like Dura lube or MT-10 and would lubricate the clutches of the posi so they would not chatter while taking a corner. I'm guessing mine does not because I don't think it has clutches. I can't remember what it has for a posi but a lot of the guys on the forum were excited early on because the diesel with the tow package came with it from the factory. I don't do a lot of wheeling and am getting old so if it just works, I'm happy.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just looked it up, it's a G-80 differential. Go to U-tube and look it up. Pretty cool way to get a locker but still have it release fully and give you good mileage. Just don't know how they would hold up taking it wheeling. I still have a habit of putting my foot in it when it starts bogging down to get out of the hole I shouldn't have tried to get through. I would be worried that little pin that causes it to engage might break. Anyone here ever stress test one?

update-looked it up again, G-80 has friction disks but will not engage at high speed. looks like a good set up and since friction plates are not always engaged like the other style, no modifier need.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
For the differential rear gear oil change does one need to add the rear gear oil additive? This is my first Chevy truck and on my Dodge trucks this was required. I couldn’t find any references to this for the Colorado so I wanted to be sure - thanks!
no additive required, you can use the stuff with it in there already though.

EDIT: This is wrong. GM wants no LS additive, it messes with the clutch plates in the G80. I think I witnessed this off road climbing some hills. It didn't want to lock up. I switched the fluid back to regular gear oil and it locked much better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I remember on my jeep I basically had to fill the fluid in my differentials and transfer case until the fluid reached the fill hole. Is it basically the same on the these trucks? Did the fluid start to leak out when you reached the appropriate capacity as noted by GM?

Also, I can't seem to find the quantiy of fluid for the automatic transmission for the Duramax 6 speed, would anyone know?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I remember on my jeep I basically had to fill the fluid in my differentials and transfer case until the fluid reached the fill hole. Is it basically the same on the these trucks? Did the fluid start to leak out when you reached the appropriate capacity as noted by GM?

Also, I can't seem to find the quantiy of fluid for the automatic transmission for the Duramax 6 speed, would anyone know?

Yes, fill to you get a slight overflow through the fill hole.

As far as quantity of fluids, check on Amzoil's website. I checked there and the online Chilton's manual I purchased, and it is specific to the year make and model you purchase. Whatever brand you purchase make sure it is DEXRON VI approved if you're looking to maintain the factory warranty.

Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, fill to you get a slight overflow on through the fill hole.

As far as quantity of fluids, check on Amzoil's website. I checked there and the online Chilton's manual I purchased, and it is specific to the year make and model you purchase. Whatever brand you purchase make sure it is DEXRON VI approved if you're looking to maintain the factory warranty.

Bill
Thanks Bill

1 - 20 of 76 Posts