Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is relatively new, i know this is a minimal modification but i'm not going
big lift. have 18" wheels to put on as soon as i sell the 16" alloys with goodyear
wrangler fortitude HT 65 70R16 less than 400 miles on.
Back to the issue, anyone done this 1" lift modification??
Kit does not have any install info. or pics. crazy.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Thanks, I am leaning to letting a Chevy Dealer do the install. Van Chevrolet sold me the kit. Said it does not
affect warranty. we will see.
Isn't supposed to affect warranty. My only thoughts is I had Rough Country 2" strut/spring combination leveling kit put in by a suspension shop on my 2019 crew cab 4x4 Colorado. And when measuring front and back it comes out and looks perfectly level now. So question is how would a 1" make it level if on mine the 2" makes it perfectly level? And of course a 2" leveling kit doesn't cause any suspension problems, stress just had to get it aligned.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I saw they said it will not work on 20” wheel. Any reason why?

Are they large enough diameter that it would not be level?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Isn't supposed to affect warranty. My only thoughts is I had Rough Country 2" strut/spring combination leveling kit put in by a suspension shop on my 2019 crew cab 4x4 Colorado. And when measuring front and back it comes out and looks perfectly level now. So question is how would a 1" make it level if on mine the 2" makes it perfectly level? And of course a 2" leveling kit doesn't cause any suspension problems, stress just had to get it aligned.
note sure why Chevy made it a 1" lift kit, unless to stay moderate and not affect geometry.
it probably won't level it, but will give a bit of room for slightly larger tires [ going from 30.6"
to 32.5"

·
Registered
29 Posts
I inquired about this leveling kit at the dealership a few weeks ago. The kit costs $192 CAD. They want $560 to install it at the dealership, not including the wheel alignment. No thank you. It would cost over $900 for a one inch lift of the front suspension!

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab Long Bed
545 Posts
I inquired about this leveling kit at the dealership a few weeks ago. The kit costs $192 CAD. They want $560 to install it at the dealership, not including the wheel alignment. No thank you. It would cost over $900 for a one inch lift of the front suspension!
I checked with my dealer as well as this is really the only level I would consider, but the install cost is nuts. My Colorado with no air dam and larger tires can get to an amazing amount of places without all the fuss of a level or a lift. Keeping it stock height.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Thanks for the information. GM told me online, there was no instructions available. seems like an ordeal
to gain 1" what do you think?
If you want a level truck (well closer to level) go for it. It is not very hard to do on a new clean truck, just make sure to get an alignment after.
As for making more room for tires it will do next to nothing, but there are tires sizes that fit in 18" wheels for sure.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
note sure why Chevy made it a 1" lift kit, unless to stay moderate and not affect geometry.
it probably won't level it, but will give a bit of room for slightly larger tires [ going from 30.6"
to 32.5"
Am I reading this right, that you are planning to put on 32.5's with a 1" level?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
It's not a complicated install. It's exactly the same job as replacing the factory shocks, except that you install a spacer before putting the spring back on. That being said, R&R of the spring is a pain, and does require some specialized tools. The average home mechanic can easily do everything else.

My advice would be to take the spring/shock assembly out of the truck, and take it to a shop to install the spacer. Then take it back home and put the truck back together.

Also, if you've got more than 40K miles or so on the truck, consider replacing the shocks. An aftermarket shock like Eibach might save a little money because of the built in lift. Plus you end up with a much better shock that will go another 40-50K miles.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of a spring spacer on a stock shock body. You're decreasing the range of the shock in one direction, and increasing it in the other. I'm not sure that's a good thing for a stock shock. Instead, I would put a spacer above the shock body. It's cheaper, much easier to install, And doesn't change the function of the stock shock one bit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the kit from Van Chevrolet for $147 shipped. I figured its a 2 hour install = maybe $240 ?
thanks for the info.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Not saying they are the best but a few months ago I had a suspension shop put the 2" strut/spring combination leveling kit from RC on my new 2019 4x4 crew cab Colorado. Haven't driven to much yet but so far rides like OEM except truck is perfectly level now. Didn't pay any where near the total price GM wants for the 1" kit. But I guess they take great pride in saying it won't void and is covered under GM warranty. I got an alignment and so far great. A 2" leveling kit won't stress the suspension so no concerns there.

Reactions: Curler20p

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not saying they are the best but a few months ago I had a suspension shop put the 2" strut/spring combination leveling kit from RC on my new 2019 4x4 crew cab Colorado. Haven't driven to much yet but so far rides like OEM except truck is perfectly level now. Didn't pay any where near the total price GM wants for the 1" kit. But I guess they take great pride in saying it won't void and is covered under GM warranty. I got an alignment and so far great. A 2" leveling kit won't stress the suspension so no concerns there.
Thanks for the information. RC ? One could win that battle in court, i think. if the 1" kit is good for my Colorado,
why wouldn't the 2" also, if re-aligned.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I checked with my dealer as well as this is really the only level I would consider, but the install cost is nuts. My Colorado with no air dam and larger tires can get to an amazing amount of places without all the fuss of a level or a lift. Keeping it stock height.
I have been thinking about keeping it stock suspension, just add the 18" alloys, with 265 70R18 tires
that would give me approx. 1" to 1 1/4" lift due to the overall diameter.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
It's not a complicated install. It's exactly the same job as replacing the factory shocks, except that you install a spacer before putting the spring back on. That being said, R&R of the spring is a pain, and does require some specialized tools. The average home mechanic can easily do everything else.

My advice would be to take the spring/shock assembly out of the truck, and take it to a shop to install the spacer. Then take it back home and put the truck back together.

Also, if you've got more than 40K miles or so on the truck, consider replacing the shocks. An aftermarket shock like Eibach might save a little money because of the built in lift. Plus you end up with a much better shock that will go another 40-50K miles.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of a spring spacer on a stock shock body. You're decreasing the range of the shock in one direction, and increasing it in the other. I'm not sure that's a good thing for a stock shock. Instead, I would put a spacer above the shock body. It's cheaper, much easier to install, And doesn't change the function of the stock shock one bit.
The spacer goes on top of everything, no need to remove the spring, easy.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
I have been thinking about keeping it stock suspension, just add the 18" alloys, with 265 70R18 tires
that would give me approx. 1" to 1 1/4" lift due to the overall diameter.
The 1" spacer will get you much closer to level, that's about it, not going to help with over size tires. There is no way that tire will fit, it will rub the fenders, lift or no lift.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts