Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 · (Edited)
Sir, a correction is in order here. 😉 Done.
How do you feel about this header on a quote I received at work a few days ago ? American company that sells/services calibrated instruments...

Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue Logo

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
How do you feel about this header on a quote I received in the course of my official duties a few days ago ? American company that sells/services calibrated instruments...

View attachment 430066
I would say they either depended on an application to correct for them and didn’t proof before submitting, don’t understand correct punctuation (connection of the two, making one word), are ignorant of the rules regarding capitalization, are completely ignorant of different Commands within the Air Force (they’ve been exposed to one or a even a few and think the entire Branch is run similarly) or are insecure and petty and making a jab. Possibly all.

Separately, Branch and Unit esprit de corps is fantastic and necessary, but we fight as one.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I wish we had the extra money to buy an ev for running errands but we don't. Possibly after our current vehicles are paid off but even then, the price is going to have to come down and a 250 mile minimum range is what we want. More would be better because we have to deal with the cold Buffalo winters, which seriously reduces range. If we lived in an urban environment then it would make more sense. But maybe we will have to wait until the Government starts giving them away , to fixed income retirees. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
I wish we had the extra money to buy an ev for running errands but we don't. Possibly after our current vehicles are paid off but even then, the price is going to have to come down and a 250 mile minimum range is what we want. More would be better because we have to deal with the cold Buffalo winters, which seriously reduces range. If we lived in an urban environment then it would make more sense. But maybe we will have to wait until the Government starts giving them away , to fixed income retirees. LOL
:LOL: give away something free to retirees. You're funny. They only give away free stuff to young voters who's minds can still be easily influenced.

Totally understand the money aspect. I don't like having a car payment again but I do live in an urban environment in the south so makes sense. Plus keeping the truck for fun stuff and long range, although I still think I'd take the Bolt up to 500mi away depending on the charging options. I'm ok with extending a 4.5hr trip into a 6hr trip, but I don't think I'd choose to extend an 8hr trip into a 12hr trip lol.

The Bolt EUV has 247mi of range, so 3mi under your minimum range ;) Darn. But then again, losing 20-30% of that would suck. There's some EVs in Alaska (Tesla's I believe) reporting losing 50% of their range when the temps are below 0 ! It does get into the 30s and 40s here, but with a 30mi round trip to work I'm not worried about winter battery loss. I currently charge to 80% every day, so I already only have 200mi of range. Which is really 150mi of usable range if I keep a 50mi reserve. Let's take another 20% off of that for winter, and that drops me down to 160mi total/110mi usable. I'll take 110mi of daily use without having to go to a gas station in the winter ! Using a cheap styrofoam faucet cap on the charging port also eliminates the charging port freezing problem similar to the gas cap frozen over ICE vehicle problem.

So far I'm enjoying having my daily driver "gas tank" be full every morning

Reactions: 93Duc

·
Registered
399 Posts
May i ask why you need that range? My wife and i looked at how she drives her car and we havent taken a PHEV range except for when we go to philly which is less than once a month. They are pretty cheap, get the tax rebate, and if you really have to road trip it 250miles you get 40mpg after the battery. Once her work finishes putting in chargers its more or less 100% ev all the time.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
1 Week Thoughts

Miles Driven: 692 Miles
Days since last gas station: 16
Charging Cost: $31.18 ($15.27 Home electricity + $15.91 DCFC)
Equivalent if diesel: $189.72*

Thoughts from this past week:
  • One pedal driving is awesome
  • So smooth and quiet
  • No gear shifting is crazy
  • Instant power/torque at any speed is dope
  • SuperCruise makes the miles FLY by.
  • Quite roomy when you have no engine burgoning into the firewall/dash.
  • Seats
  • Mods

Excellent gateway vehicle - Just enough ICE vehicle features and design for familiarity mixed in with EV peculiarities.

One pedal driving
Because EVs can recharge themselves with "Regenerative Braking" they usually have some form of one pedal driving. While initially this takes some getting used to, I now love it for 2 reasons: Laziness and saving brakes.

Laziness: Imagine not having to have your foot pressing on the brake pedal at stoplights and also having to move your foot way less while "driving".

Saving Brakes: One pedal driving does not operate like this, but imagine if your truck applied the brakes as soon as you let off the gas pedal; instead of coasting the truck began to brake increasing in firmness to medium braking. That's what it feels like but not how it operates. I'm not an EV engineer so I won't be able to explain this in great detail, but it uses the electric motors to recharge the battery instead of using electricity. The brakes are not involved at all which obviously saves your brake pads and rotors. Some EV owners report in excess of 100k miles on original pads with plenty of life left.

So smooth and quiet, gear shifting, instant power
It's crazy to have the same pedal response at 55 as you at 0. No engine noise (which I kind of miss), no exhaust noise, and no shifting. Just the very quiet whine of the motor, tires on the road, and wind noise. I can hear myself breathing in the car on the recently paved roads ! With the battery pack way down low, with most of the weight with it, the car handles like a dream. Don't get me wrong, I love the ride of my King suspension lifted truck, and I purposefully elevated the Center of Gravity in order to improve my approach/departure/breakover angles, but not having the car shift/load one side of the suspension during familiar curves is nice.

SuperCruise and roomyness
I recently drove 83miles each way to a neighboring city and ~60 of them were SuperCruise. I basically got to sit in the front left passenger seat (formerly known as driver seat) and talk to my buddy the whole way there and back. I of course don't have 100% faith in this system and paid just as much attention to the road as I would if I were driving, but have had very few instances of the car making me nervous (usually was someone else veering into my lane) and zero isntances of the car trying to kill me across ~300miles of it driving itself so far. Insert Project Farm, "Very impressive !".

My buddy is 6' tall and jacked and he remarked on how much room he had in the front right passenger seat. He actually scooted the seat closer to the dash because he felt so far away from everything haha.I never noticed how far back the dash of my truck actually went, but not the case on the Bolt.

Seats
While at first the seats were a little stiff and definitely make me think GM did a collab with airline seat makers... they have begun breaking in beautifully like my Colorados, which also started off kinda stiff.

Mods
Really trying to take it easy on this car. Haha. Just did "the usual":

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle

Daytime Automotive lighting Hood Light Automotive design

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

*Based on last price of diesel I paid. Additionally, the state that I live in has an "EV Use Tax". Other states will inevitably have similar fees, since you are no longer giving them money via state gasoline tax revenue. NC taxes motor fuel at $0.385/gal (!!!). I remove this $0.385 cost from the price of fuel in my excel spreadsheet where I calculate costs, so the displayed "equivalent if diesel" is less the $0.385/gal that I pay in a one time fee.

·
Registered
2017 AT 4x4 LWN CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
3,424 Posts
Curious if the Bolt flashes up the brake lights when you are one pedaling? I remember back in the day a lot of Volt owners complained about getting rear ended because the regenerative braking was too aggressive for bumper to bumper traffic. It happens a lot to Tesla owners too.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 · (Edited)
Curious if the Bolt flashes up the brake lights when you are one pedaling? I remember back in the day a lot of Volt owners complained about getting rear ended because the regenerative braking was too aggressive for bumper to bumper traffic. It happens a lot to Tesla owners too.

It does light the brake lights ! I had the same question, but a cloudy night answered that. I could see the brake lights reflecting off of the newly painted road near where I live. Played around a bit and tried to find where it triggered the brake lights and it's quite sensitive. Decelerating even 2mph seemed to trigger it, even if I had my foot on the gas and was not letting it regen as hard as it wanted to.

The regen braking is interesting. It isn't adjustable like a Tesla is, but I'd say the regen braking is medium and almost perfect for coming to a stop at a stoplight, but I agree that if I pulled my foot completely off the pedal it would brake too quickly/rudely. It is quite natural feeling, and works great, to just vary how much I press down on the gas pedal (or let off of it) to control more or less braking. Although you can turn off one pedal driving from the center stack with a single button press, I have yet to do it because it is quite intuitive.

I have found that if I pull on the regen "on demand" paddle on the left side of the steering wheel (same place as the downshift paddle would be) it will regen even more/brake harder. Of course still no substitute for the actual brakes in an emergency...

Edit: changed "flash the brake lights" to "light the brake lights" because it does not flash/strobe the brake lights, but simply illuminates them as any vehicle would.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
It does flash the brake lights ! I had the same question, but a cloudy night answered that. I could see the brake lights reflecting off of the newly painted road near where I live. Played around a bit and tried to find where it triggered the brake lights and it's quite sensitive. Decelerating even 2mph seemed to trigger it, even if I had my foot on the gas and was not letting it regen as hard as it wanted to.

The regen braking is interesting. It isn't adjustable like a Tesla is, but I'd say the regen braking is medium and almost perfect for coming to a stop at a stoplight, but I agree that if I pulled my foot completely off the pedal it would brake too quickly/rudely. It is quite natural feeling, and works great, to just vary how much I press down on the gas pedal (or let off of it) to control more or less braking. Although you can turn off one pedal driving from the center stack with a single button press, I have yet to do it because it is quite intuitive.

I have found that if I pull on the regen "on demand" paddle on the left side of the steering wheel (same place as the downshift paddle would be) it will regen even more/brake harder. Of course still no substitute for the actual brakes in an emergency...
That’s interesting I don’t know if still so but some states it is/was against the law to have the 3rd. brake light flash if you hit the brake since it’s red and for emergency vehicles only. If so what’s the difference?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
How is the torque?

Everyone raved about "EV torque" when the Volt came out, "instant torque" and "torque at any speed!". But it was a slow car. Yeah, it had torque from a stop, but a mildly peppy ICV car could still tear its doors off from a dig.

Is the Bolt "driving a slow car fast" - type fun, or is it actually a little fast?

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
That’s interesting I don’t know if still so but some states it is/was against the law to have the 3rd. brake light flash if you hit the brake since it’s red and for emergency vehicles only. If so what’s the difference?
3rd brake light doesn't flash; illuminates seemingly normally. With one pedal driving it seems to come on when it decelerates even a couple miles an hour, even if I'm "evening out" the regenerative brake by applying slight pressure to the gas pedal. I'm sorry, it's difficult to explain. Perhaps I could explain it this way, although these numbers are seat of the pants and semi-arbitrary:

No press on gas pedal - 100% regenerative braking - Similar to a firm brake press in my truck
Slight press on gas pedal - 80% regenerative braking
Small press on gas pedal - 50% regenerative braking - light braking in my colorado
Moderate pressure on gas pedal - 20% regen braking - similar to coasting in my colorado.

The brake light comes on almost all the time with moderate pressure, and 100% of the time with a small press or less.

Reactions: rotaryenginepete

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
How is the torque?

Everyone raved about "EV torque" when the Volt came out, "instant torque" and "torque at any speed!". But it was a slow car. Yeah, it had torque from a stop, but a mildly peppy ICV car could still tear its doors off from a dig.

Is the Bolt "driving a slow car fast" - type fun, or is it actually a little fast?
While traveling for work, I probably rent 12 cars per year (at least). This past year I've had a Ford Escape, Honda Accord, Subaru Outback, Chevy Spark, Honda Civic, Toyota 4runner, Nissan Altima, Dodge Journey and others I'm forgetting. The Bolt is faster than all of them. lol.

And "instant torque" and "torque at any speed" is very difficult to explain but surprising every time I experience it. Imagine a one lane highway, 55mph speed limit and the guy in front of you is doing 45mph to 55mph randomly while texting, and you see an opportunity to pass...

In a Honda Accord or Colorado, you mash the gas instinctively about 0.5sec before you need to in order to get the transmission downshifted and the powerband where you want it.

In the Bolt you have instant acceleration and would be in the back of the inconsistent drivers vehicle lol. I'm not saying it's fast; it's considerably slower than my friends Tesla Model3. But it's responsive at any speed and with the battery pack/weight down low, it handles very well.

A very fun appliance.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
3rd brake light doesn't flash; illuminates seemingly normally. With one pedal driving it seems to come on when it decelerates even a couple miles an hour, even if I'm "evening out" the regenerative brake by applying slight pressure to the gas pedal. I'm sorry, it's difficult to explain. Perhaps I could explain it this way, although these numbers are seat of the pants and semi-arbitrary:

No press on gas pedal - 100% regenerative braking - Similar to a firm brake press in my truck
Slight press on gas pedal - 80% regenerative braking
Small press on gas pedal - 50% regenerative braking - light braking in my colorado
Moderate pressure on gas pedal - 20% regen braking - similar to coasting in my colorado.

The brake light comes on almost all the time with moderate pressure, and 100% of the time with a small press or less.
I see knew 3rd. brake light doesn’t flash. I was thinking if brake light was flashing (pulsating) when brake applied. I know is illegal in lots of states for 3rd. brake light. Obviously as you say it just comes on and brake light isn't flashing (pulsating) when it comes on which is what I was referring to.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
I see knew 3rd. brake light doesn’t flash. I was thinking if brake light was flashing (pulsating) when brake applied. I know is illegal in lots of states for 3rd. brake light. Obviously as you say it just comes on and brake light isn't flashing (pulsating) when it comes on which is what I was referring to.
Yessir, I edited my original post because I 100% see where I mislead you on that. My apologies.

Reactions: Johnnyone

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
i took a lyft in one of these and it was pretty nice not going to lie.
Well, as always, as owner of [insert product x] I highly recommend [insert product x]. haha. Did you ride in the back or front ? There's quite a bit of legroom in the back. Probably a solid 6+inches more than the Colorado, but the headliner is lower and at 6' I had enough room to prop my leg up in the backseat but felt like I was going to rub my hat on the ceiling !

Front seat feels huge.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
The new Bolts look very nicely turned out, and a big improvement over earlier models.

One thing is for sure, it is nice to have another tool in your transportation toolbox. I drive my wife's plug in hybrid all the time on short trips and my Canyon generally doesn't leave the garage unless I am going 15 miles or more. I look after my neighbor's house when she is gone traveling, having the EV is gonna make me fat cuz sometimes I jump in the "golf cart" instead of walking down the street. Would never do that to my truck, but an EV? Why not? 😆

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well, as always, as owner of [insert product x] I highly recommend [insert product x]. haha. Did you ride in the back or front ? There's quite a bit of legroom in the back. Probably a solid 6+inches more than the Colorado, but the headliner is lower and at 6' I had enough room to prop my leg up in the backseat but felt like I was going to rub my hat on the ceiling !

Front seat feels huge.
I was in the back but my sister was in the front. not that we did any rallying or track but driving around philly probably faster than was safe it felt pretty planted and i didnt feel cramped at all. but then again i also drive a brz. the guy said it cost roughly 2.50$ to charge and he just eats lunch. I didnt ask if he has street parking or not but if i needed a car to get from point a to point b in a city, it would be on my list to get. not a fan of white cars tho. he also had the base interior so it was rather basic but again i drive worse so it isnt an issue for me

121 - 140 of 150 Posts