Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Midnight
686 Posts
Wow, the interior of those Kia EV6s looks like a spaceship ! Did you get the standard or longrange one ?

The charging capabilities of that car are insane ! 20mins for 10-80% ?! That's nuts ! Also 800V based system sounds CRAZY !

Have you fast charged it yet ?

Standard or Long Range? No clue. Its the Kia EV6 GT Line AWD.
When charged it says 310 miles but it's really around 280.
I bought a charger for my garage. My home is new so they had already put in a 240V outlet. Bought a charger on Amazon. Takes about 4-6 hours to charge on a "Medium" charge. I have only charged it once so far. I charge it at night. It shuts itself off.

I went into the dealership and drove out with the car about 1 1/2 hours later. 852 credit score so they let me leave with some signatures. My neighbor ordered 2 of them and only took one so I went down with my neighbor and while they said they didn't want the 2nd one, I said " I will take it".

I'm still learning about it. I barely know anything about it. The one thing I do know is that gas is skyrocketing and there is a long wait for EV cars so I feel that I made the right move. Even if I do not love it, I could probably flip it.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Standard or Long Range? No clue. Its the Kia EV6 GT Line AWD.
When charged it says 310 miles but it's really around 280.
I bought a charger for my garage. My home is new so they had already put in a 240V outlet. Bought a charger on Amazon. Takes about 4-6 hours to charge on a "Medium" charge. I have only charged it once so far. I charge it at night. It shuts itself off.

I went into the dealership and drove out with the car about 1 1/2 hours later. 852 credit score so they let me leave with some signatures. My neighbor ordered 2 of them and only took one so I went down with my neighbor and while they said they didn't want the 2nd one, I said " I will take it".

I'm still learning about it. I barely know anything about it. The one thing I do know is that gas is skyrocketing and there is a long wait for EV cars so I feel that I made the right move. Even if I do not love it, I could probably flip it.
310mi is the long range version from the looks of it. That's awesome that one just fell into your lap like that and that you have properly positioned yourself financially to be able to take advantage of it !

Which charger did you buy ? Just had a Grizzl-E put in my home (Chevy paid for outlet install, electric co-op reimbursed me $400 of the cost of the charger).

Reactions: 2018Midnight

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Midnight
686 Posts
310mi is the long range version from the looks of it. That's awesome that one just fell into your lap like that and that you have properly positioned yourself financially to be able to take advantage of it !

Which charger did you buy ? Just had a Grizzl-E put in my home (Chevy paid for outlet install, electric co-op reimbursed me $400 of the cost of the charger).
I got very lucky that my neighbors were friends with the owners of the dealership. No need to wait, order, down payment or anything. I'm not properly positioned at all. Just have a great credit score at the moment though. Things are going to get a lil hairy. :rolleyes: I would have been stupid to pass it up though.

I picked up this charger for my garage. Link

That's awesome for you on the install and free charger! I have heard others using that one with good reviews.
I'm very new to EV. Gonna take me a bit to figure out what's even happening and all the features.
Hoping the wife wants it. With premium gas prices rising and her car only taking premium, I am hoping she loves it and wants to get rid of her car. I love my truck still. I'm fine with my truck and motorcycles. Running out of garage space too. Using my mothers for the extra car and I have a 3 car garage!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Oh the horrors of driving my truck ! haha.

It's possible. But my at-home gas station is awfully conveniently placed right where I disembark, which is right next to the charging port. This is why I think having an EV and ICE truck are a great combo. I can go an entire work week and hit the grocery store as well without charging my EUV though

View attachment 429976
How does this prevent chaffing the cord and eventually shorting it out? This would be ideal for my wife when our phev come in a few weeks from now. also have you seen the people that modified their nissan leafs for more power?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
About a year ago one of those informative TV programs, 60 minutes possibly, had a special on an experimental infrastructure laid into the road that charges EV’s driving on it. If memory serves it charges when you are in traffic (possibly very slow moving, and definitely stop and go).
There are I believe 3, possibly 4 locations around the world where it is being tested.
One city had just completed major road construction, tore it all up and laid the ‘grid’ back in.

Maybe someone with more time than I have can search it out and provide a link.

Edit:
It’s not a new concept, but this company from Israel has made progress:

‘The charge per mile depends on the vehicle and how fast it's going. While the road won't fully replenish a battery, especially considering its length, it will top it up slightly, allowing EVs to travel further before requiring a charging station. The receivers can also rack up a tab so the vehicle owner can pay for the electricity later.’

Reactions: rotaryenginepete

·
Registered
2017 AT 4x4 LWN CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
3,424 Posts
About a year ago one of those informative TV programs, 60 minutes possibly, had a special on an experimental infrastructure laid into the road that charges EV’s driving on it. If memory serves it charges when you are in traffic (possibly very slow moving, and definitely stop and go).
There are I believe 3, possibly 4 locations around the world where it is being tested.
One city had just completed major road construction, tore it all up and laid the ‘grid’ back in.

Edit:

‘The charge per mile depends on the vehicle and how fast it's going. While the road won't fully replenish a battery, especially considering its length, it will top it up slightly, allowing EVs to travel further before requiring a charging station. The receivers can also rack up a tab so the vehicle owner can pay for the electricity later.’
oh great, wonder where they got that idea from 🤣
Arm Textile Comfort Smile Couch

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
How does this prevent chaffing the cord and eventually shorting it out? This would be ideal for my wife when our phev come in a few weeks from now. also have you seen the people that modified their nissan leafs for more power?
I'm pretty easy when I handle the charging cable but they are designed to be used on concrete/asphault. The Grizzl-E's charging cable is really beefy. It's like a 5/8" or 3/4" cable, similar in size and feel to the cables we use on the flightline to go from ground power carts to airplanes for years which get thrown around on the concrete and are just fine. As far as getting it from inside the garage to outside, I put these Heavy Duty Rubber Cable Protector Ramps under my garage door (I reset the height bar inside and in the process of moving the seals) to protect the cable. Laid them down with landscaping adhesive and holding strong so far. Pictures dont really show it but the ramps are 1/4" taller than the cable. I made the cable lays flat when I did the final install/ops check/temp check/load test which isn't shown in the below picture. One of these BougeRV EV Charger Holders outside to spool the cable on. And to be safe I cleaned and coated the cable/charging handle with 303 Aerospace Protectant lol. To load test it I let it charge the car for 2hrs while I was around and hit the box, cable, and charging handle with my IR heat gun. It ran +10-15*F hotter than the surrounding area (up to 95*F on that particular day) but never got close to the 105*CELSIUS max of the outter jacket.
Plant Building Automotive tire Road surface Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Plant Saw Wood Electrical wiring

If the exterior jacket is breached, for whatever reason, I'll wrap it with black F4 Self Fusing Silicone Tape as long as the copper conductors are intact. The SAE J1772 charging standard already requires communication from the vehicle to the charger and it should prevent the vehicle from being damaged, or the charger from causing fire, as long as both are operating correctly.

Head Product Font Circle Happy

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Or you could "cut the cord" altogether. Has anyone seen the wireless inductive car charging pads?
Interesting. Pull the car in and on top of the matt and it starts charging on its own!

Edit:

Europe and Eurasia apparently have wireless EV charging already installed and it is just as efficient (or more) than directly plugging in since the airgap allows heat to dissipate or something. Here is a link explaining the concept:

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
similar in size and feel to the cables we use on the flightline to go from ground power carts to airplanes for years which get thrown around on the concrete and are just fine.
although you are probably talking about a -86, why do I get the feeling that you might have 'taxied' a -60? 🤣

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
I got very lucky that my neighbors were friends with the owners of the dealership. No need to wait, order, down payment or anything. I'm not properly positioned at all. Just have a great credit score at the moment though. Things are going to get a lil hairy. :rolleyes: I would have been stupid to pass it up though.

I picked up this charger for my garage. Link

That's awesome for you on the install and free charger! I have heard others using that one with good reviews.
I'm very new to EV. Gonna take me a bit to figure out what's even happening and all the features.
Hoping the wife wants it. With premium gas prices rising and her car only taking premium, I am hoping she loves it and wants to get rid of her car. I love my truck still. I'm fine with my truck and motorcycles. Running out of garage space too. Using my mothers for the extra car and I have a 3 car garage!
Haha I'm also very new to EV. This is my first and I had only ridden passenger in Tesla's before ! Never driven one. Seems like yours was meant to be yours.

So far this is the generic EV advice I've gathered:
  • Limit charging to 80% during daily use
  • Do not let battery fall below 20% while sitting overnight
And specific to longer trips:
  • Start each day of trip at 100% State Of Charge (SOC)
  • Charge from 20%-60% on long trips
  • Use a 100kW+ charger
  • End the day with 60%+ SOC
  • Do not let sit overnight depleted
  • Plan based on the min range displayed on Guess-O-Meter

Oh nice. Lectron seems to be a good brand, but stay away from anything with the Mustart label. Or any of the brands that look like that. Several stories on the Bolt forums of those catching fire or hurting the Bolt. Internet confirms they are garbage. My Bolt EUV came with a semi-portable charger like that, except it has a swappable plug on it and can go from 120v to 240v. I keep that and a 50' Heavy Duty Southwire Made in USA 12/3 extension cord in the back of the EUV for emergency charging. Shameless plug for Heavy-Duty Wrap-It Storage Straps which make managing bulky cables so much easier. Used them on the air hoses in my truck that I use with the ARB Twin, and now both the charger and extension cable in the Bolt !

Reactions: 2018Midnight

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
although you are probably talking about a -86, why do I get the feeling that you might have 'taxied' a -60? 🤣
haha I'm an aviator and "we have people for that". Kidding, but I really only touch the carts for ground power equipment checks. We generally use Hobart JetEx carts or the little Hobart GPU cart for inside the hangar. I've browned out a couple aircraft doing power checks when the new kid (at whatever time) hooked it up for me, so rather than potentially wrecking very expensive systems I took the time to learn how it works, how to hook it up, and the startup sequence to either help out or verify it was done correctly.*

Edit: *this is not a knock against mx personnel ! Everyone makes mistakes. Including me, all the time. Just one more check on a system that works 90%+ of the time.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
haha I'm an aviator and "we have people for that". Kidding, but I really only touch the carts for ground power equipment checks. We generally use Hobart JetEx carts or the little Hobart GPU cart for inside the hangar. I've browned out a couple aircraft doing power checks when the new kid (at whatever time) hooked it up for me, so rather than potentially wrecking very expensive systems I took the time to learn how it works, how to hook it up, and the startup sequence to either help out or verify it was done correctly.
Hey! I used to be one of those people! 🤣 But I will let you in on a secret, those who do very well in maintenance are sometimes promoted to an aviator job...so I eventually acquired a zipper suit for myself! Come to think of it, that was about the same time frame that I bought my Volt. Must be something in the water!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Anyways, the old A/M32A-60's used to be self propelled so you could actually ride them around...but the air force eventually decided that was too much fun for the crew chiefs and disabled the feature. At this rate I imagine someone will eventually build wireless power pads on the tarmac and you will be able to speak to the airplane just like Scotty in Star Trek... "Hello computer. Please turn the power on."

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Hey! I used to be one of those people! 🤣 But I will let you in on a secret, those who do very well in maintenance are sometimes promoted to an aviator job...so I eventually acquired a zipper suit for myself! Come to think of it, that was about the same time frame that I bought my Volt. Must be something in the water!
Oh gross, the Volt ! lmao. Chevy's Prius competitor. How did you like that ? I have heard some... not great things about their first attempt at a PHEV. Some of the best aviators I've met were crew chiefs prior, flying or not.

Anyways, the old A/M32A-60's used to be self propelled so you could actually ride them around...but the air force eventually decided that was too much fun for the crew chiefs and disabled the feature. At this rate I imagine someone will eventually build wireless power pads on the tarmac and you will be able to speak to the airplane just like Scotty in Star Trek... "Hello computer. Please turn the power on."
haha yep that sounds like way too much fun. And hey, induction power for airplanes would really convenient. The weight makes enough sense for EVs, so it might be aircraft friendly as well... just not sure how they'd feel about eliminating start carts... seems like there'd be a lot of resistance because "That's the way we've always done it"

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm pretty easy when I handle the charging cable but they are designed to be used on concrete/asphault. The Grizzl-E's charging cable is really beefy. It's like a 5/8" or 3/4" cable, similar in size and feel to the cables we use on the flightline to go from ground power carts to airplanes for years which get thrown around on the concrete and are just fine. As far as getting it from inside the garage to outside, I put these Heavy Duty Rubber Cable Protector Ramps under my garage door (I reset the height bar inside and in the process of moving the seals) to protect the cable. Laid them down with landscaping adhesive and holding strong so far. Pictures dont really show it but the ramps are 1/4" taller than the cable. I made the cable lays flat when I did the final install/ops check/temp check/load test which isn't shown in the below picture. One of these BougeRV EV Charger Holders outside to spool the cable on. And to be safe I cleaned and coated the cable/charging handle with 303 Aerospace Protectant lol. To load test it I let it charge the car for 2hrs while I was around and hit the box, cable, and charging handle with my IR heat gun. It ran +10-15*F hotter than the surrounding area (up to 95*F on that particular day) but never got close to the 105*CELSIUS max of the outter jacket.
View attachment 430023

View attachment 430024

If the exterior jacket is breached, for whatever reason, I'll wrap it with black F4 Self Fusing Silicone Tape as long as the copper conductors are intact. The SAE J1772 charging standard already requires communication from the vehicle to the charger and it should prevent the vehicle from being damaged, or the charger from causing fire, as long as both are operating correctly.

View attachment 430022
My door doesnt have a strip to land against it just smashes the pavement. I can make room in there, im just too lazy since ford is still building it.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
My door doesnt have a strip to land against it just smashes the pavement. I can make room in there, im just too lazy since ford is still building it.
Like your metal garage door doesn't have a $15 bottom weatherseal you could definitely buy at lowes/HD ? haha. I'm not sure you'd really need it with those Heavy Duty Rubber Cable Protector Ramps, but it probably helps the door, or concrete, or something... I don't imagine home builders put those weatherseals on there for recreational purposes.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Like your metal garage door doesn't have a $15 bottom weatherseal you could definitely buy at lowes/HD ? haha. I'm not sure you'd really need it with those Heavy Duty Rubber Cable Protector Ramps, but it probably helps the door, or concrete, or something... I don't imagine home builders put those weatherseals on there for recreational purposes.
My house was built in the 50s and it had copper weatherstripping nailed to it. Might be a good excuse to replace it

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Anyways, the old A/M32A-60's used to be self propelled so you could actually ride them around...but the Air Force eventually decided that was too much fun for the crew chiefs and disabled the feature. At this rate I imagine someone will eventually build wireless power pads on the tarmac and you will be able to speak to the airplane just like Scotty in Star Trek... "Hello computer. Please turn the power on."
Sir, a correction is in order here. 😉 Done.

101 - 120 of 150 Posts