Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday was both a sad day, and a happy day, for me as I picked up a new 2022 Bolt EUV from Chevrolet. Making the switch from diesel to electric is going to be odd. It doesn't shift ! There's only one gear ! It takes an hour to fill up the "tank" at a DC Fast Charger ! But with the price of diesel, I think everyone can relate to wanting something a little easier on the pocketbook.

1 week thoughts update

Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive parking light Tire

Interior is super nice and all of the features basically make me a passenger in the car.

• Super Cruise literally drives the car for me
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Lane Keeping
  • Automatic wipers
  • Automatic headlights
  • Automatic high beams
  • 360* cameras with top down view for parking/low speed (Would have been nice on my Colorado !)
  • Rear view mirror that is a screen for the rear facing camera while driving !

Car Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Cloud

End of an era. I really am going to miss driving my truck.

Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle registration plate Tire Car

Just kidding, f*ck that, I'm obviously keeping my truck. Now that I don't rely on it for daily driving I can use it more for things I truly enjoy doing with it: offroading and camping.

Tire Automotive parking light Car Wheel Land vehicle

Sad day I won't sit in my built perfectly for me truck every day, but happy to be preserving it for the fun things ! And I am really happy with the Bolt EUV. It's the perfect transportation appliance for me: I wont cry when it's totaled like I will my truck. On the 206mi drive home, it drove itself for 183mi of them which was fascinating. Freaked me out at first, but it tracked very well in the lane. Hugged the right side a bit more than the left, but when I don't have to steer and the car controls the speed, I just stayed mostly in the right lane as long as they were doing the speed limit. Super relaxing 3hr drive home haha.

I'll open up the replies to name suggestions for the appliance car.

·
Registered
2017 ZR2 V6 gas
241 Posts
Very cool! I honestly am looking to getting an ev as well, although I might **** around and end up with a Silverado ZR2 bison lol but seriously no reason we can't get on with me technologies while conserving what we love

Reactions: ARCowboy

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool! I honestly am looking to getting an ev as well, although I might **** around and end up with a Silverado ZR2 bison lol but seriously no reason we can't get on with me technologies while conserving what we love
GM just dropped the price of 2022 and 2023 Bolt EUVs by $6000 and offers free at home charger installation. That's basically what sold me. 50A NEMA 14-50 outlet getting installed Monday. Which obviously could also be used for a welder with a 6-50P adapter ;)

I think it will also increase the sell-ability of my house when I move, if not add a bit to the price.

·
Registered
2017 ZR2 V6 gas
241 Posts
GM just dropped the price of 2022 and 2023 Bolt EUVs by $6000 and offers free at home charger installation. That's basically what sold me. 50A NEMA 14-50 outlet getting installed Monday. Which obviously could also be used for a welder with a 6-50P adapter ;)

I think it will also increase the sell-ability of my house when I move, if not add a bit to the price.
On my way to the website to see offers

Reactions: lmwrenchn

·
Registered
9,051 Posts
You should call it , The Kelvinator or Kelvin for short

I googled them, thinking they were out of business but they are not, they must of been bought out by some one and still use the name as all they now sel is commercial appliances.

hope it serves you well....

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
From all the bolts ive worked on, between the 2017-2021s and the newer 2022+ bolt ev and bolt euv, the quality of the newer car is substantially better. I have like 8 new 22' euvs and evs on the lot and they are so much better than the last version of the bolt.

I was fearful you sold your truck for it, because of the thoughtful posts you make on improving it would disappear, but Im glad your just using the bolt as a commuter. hope the car works well for you, just ignore the minor inconvenience of the bolt recalls.... hahaha. congrats man

one word of warning. rodents LIKE the bolts. warm and quiet no moving parts and apparently the wiring tastes good i suppose, so keep an eye on your car, they like to kill the cars here.... seen several bolt evs with heavy rodent damage

·
Registered
‘17 Colorado CCLB 2wd 2.8L Duramax Summit White
235 Posts
Can’t wait to see all the spread sheets you make for this one.

Congrats on the new ride. Been thinking about getting an EV myself

·
Registered
Sold 2019 zr2 gas crew cab, Current 2017 GMC Canyon SLT and 2021 Ford Ranger Tremor XLT
470 Posts
I've been looking at those. Local dealer has 2 new ones on lot. Been there for almost a year with stop sale awaiting the replacement batteries. Interested in hearing your impressions as you add up miles as this is the only EV that I consider affordable currently.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From all the bolts ive worked on, between the 2017-2021s and the newer 2022+ bolt ev and bolt euv, the quality of the newer car is substantially better. I have like 8 new 22' euvs and evs on the lot and they are so much better than the last version of the bolt.

I was fearful you sold your truck for it, because of the thoughtful posts you make on improving it would disappear, but Im glad your just using the bolt as a commuter. hope the car works well for you, just ignore the minor inconvenience of the bolt recalls.... hahaha. congrats man

one word of warning. rodents LIKE the bolts. warm and quiet no moving parts and apparently the wiring tastes good i suppose, so keep an eye on your car, they like to kill the cars here.... seen several bolt evs with heavy rodent damage
Great to hear about build quality. Same exact motors as the "1st Gen", so at least those have proven reliable. Sure, the fast charging isn't super fast but my use case isn't for road tripping. I have already fast charged it once (on the way home, in a Walmart parking lot at 9:30pm) and it charged from 23% to 77% in 49minutes, which was more than enough to get me home.

About the recall, I'm actually pretty thankful for it since I doubt GM would keep these Bolts so affordable if not for the reputation hit due to LG screwing the pooch. They come with an 8yr/80,000mi warranty on the batteries now (or always did, not sure) which is comforting. Obviously my truck is getting parked in my garage so if my Bolt wants to go up in flames, I'll politely send an email to both my insurance company and GM demanding reimbursement while saddling up the ole girl to winch/push the flaming wreck out of the way !

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep an eye out for evidence of mice. I've heard they do like the insulation of high voltage wiring... something about it's composition for biodegradability ?

Currently working on a step by step for installing the AEV skids on a pre-2018 since it includes frame drilling. While the AEV instructions are fine, there are some rough spots. Have filled them in with posts on these forums but figured I would take pictures and consolidate. Glad you appreciate them !

Name her Rosie, like Rosie the robot maid on the Jetsuns
Seriously in the running, considering George Jetson is born in 2022 !

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I just sat in a Bolt EUV Premiere today and drove it a few feet indoors. I really liked it. Way nicer than the older version. I'm seriously thinking of ordering one soon. I thought about Tesla for a long time but too many concerns and they've gone completely nuts with their prices.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
ARCowboy. Can you tell me if the Chevy Bolt app on your phone can start the car remotely and turn on heat, AC, heated seats and steering wheel?

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just sat in a Bolt EUV Premiere today and drove it a few feet indoors. I really liked it. Way nicer than the older version. I'm seriously thinking of ordering one soon. I thought about Tesla for a long time but too many concerns and they've gone completely nuts with their prices.
First time I sat in one or drove one was when I picked mine up haha.

I think Tesla is just reacting to market conditions. GM raised the Hummer EV price, Ford raised the Mach-E prices, everyone is raising prices. If you want to see a depressing rabbit hole, look up Colbalt and EV batteries. I did math for another forum, and it's depressing:

Just thoughts keeping me up at night:

• The USGS estimates there is roughly 7.1M tons of Cobalt remaining on planet Earth (Source)
  • Approximately 44#/20kg of Co in a 100kWh battery pack (Source)
    • 7.1M tons = 14,200,000,000# divided by 44# = 322,727,272.72 100kWh battery packs.
    • 322.7M * 1.35 (Bolts have 65kWh pack) = 435,681,818.172
  • Around 80M cars are produced on the planet every year (Source)
    • 435.6M / 80M = 5.45yrs worth of Bolt production
435.6M represents 5.446% of the population of Earth. All of this assuming no advances in chemistry or battery recycling.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ARCowboy. Can you tell me if the Chevy Bolt app on your phone can start the car remotely and turn on heat, AC, heated seats and steering wheel?
Sure can. Also will activate the cooled seats depending on temp. I'm not sure if it activates the rear heated seats though. I doubt it.

The phone app also monitors charging in real time and estimates completion time based on the input voltage+amps.

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon Denali Diesel 4X4. Summit White, Cocoa/Dark Atmosphere, Black wheel package
284 Posts
Congratulations on your new RONCO Drive-A-Matic. A friend of mine said he cut one of those batteries open and inside was a little diesel turning a little generator that powered the electric motor. I don’t know…. He drinks a bit.;) Looking forward to hearing how you like it.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congratulations on your new RONCO Drive-A-Matic. A friend of mine said he cut one of those batteries open and inside was a little diesel turning a little generator that powered the electric motor. I don’t know…. He drinks a bit.;) Looking forward to hearing how you like it.
Hey, my "Diesel Fuel Only" hat would still be applicable then ;)

Thinking of getting a new one that says "Coal Powered". Thoughts... ?

Reactions: IRONSIDES68

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon Denali Diesel 4X4. Summit White, Cocoa/Dark Atmosphere, Black wheel package
284 Posts
Hey, my "Diesel Fuel Only" hat would still be applicable then ;)

Thinking of getting a new one that says "Coal Powered". Thoughts... ?
That’s hilarious. You could be driving a modern electric vehicle…. Or a steam engine. Maybe I could convert the Canyon to steam and run her on wood pellets…. Fill her up! Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

• Haha
1 - 20 of 153 Posts