Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, if you're like me you wish your Daytime Running Lights were the LED "accents" the Canyon come with, much like the Sierra has, and because of this desire you drive around with your lights switched to the parking light mode.

The only downside to this is that you can't have just the LED's on, you have to have the steady amber marker lights on as well, which to me, takes away from the LED accents. So today while my oil was draining during my oil change I hatched an idea, disable the ambers in parking light mode, without scarificing your turn signals.

Here's how I did it:

STEP 1: Open Hood and locate the socket for the marker lamps, its a grey socket with three different color wires coming out on the outermost part of the headlight.

(Access passenger side socket thru wheel well, turn wheels all the way left and remove 4 lowest screws)

STEP 2: Remove socket by rotating it a quarter turn counter-clockwise, and remove bulb from socket by pulling straight out.

STEP 3: Take your bulbs to the workbench, pry up the two inner most contacts on the bottom wedge of the bulb away from the glass using a flathead or small pick and bend them back and forth until they break off. (This disables the filament that lights up when the parking lamp circuit is engaged)

IMPORTANT: DO NOT DAMAGE THE OUTER TWO CONTACTS, THESE ARE FOR YOUR TURN SIGNALS AND DAMAGING THEM WILL CAUSE YOUR TURN SIGNALS NOT TO FUNCTION.

STEP 4: Re-install bulbs into sockets and sockets into headlights, re-install screws in passenger side wheel well and test them out, the ambers should no longer come on steadily, only when the turn signals or hazard lights are engaged.

To revert back to stock operation simply replace the bulbs with new ones. Now go make all your friends jealous of your sweet LED's.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Reactions: rotaryenginepete

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
too bad they're way to dim to even be seen in daylight

They cheaped out and made them dim for night use only

If you're willing to put a little more time and effort and get excellent results for LED DRLs... check out what I did

http://coloradofans.com/forums/201-...0826-installed-true-led-drl-s-light-bars.html
Yea they're dim but they're only for looks, I'm not too big of a fan of that style DRL, eventually I'm going to put a 30in rough country led bar in the bumper valence...

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Yea they're dim but they're only for looks, I'm not too big of a fan of that style DRL, eventually I'm going to put a 30in rough country led bar in the bumper valence...
You plan on using a 30" lightbar for DRL? Adding a 16 amp draw to the electrical system and an absurd amount of light output seems to be counterproductive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You plan on using a 30" lightbar for DRL? Adding a 16 amp draw to the electrical system and an absurd amount of light output seems to be counterproductive.
No sorry should have clarified, just meant that I'll be putting a light bar close to the same area on the truck as his aftermarket DRL, the lightbar will just be used out in the desert.

·
Registered
11,654 Posts
This mod could prove to be an issue come time for annual inspection....depending on where you live I suppose.
Only if you take it to the dealer or live in Canada I would guess. Most of the inspectors don't have a clue what is supposed to be shining. If a new light turns on when they flip a switch, they will figure that is factory.

Reactions: Cyber Canyon

·
Registered
415 Posts
only need DRL in Canada which is the projectors

·
Registered
175 Posts
Only if you take it to the dealer or live in Canada I would guess. Most of the inspectors don't have a clue what is supposed to be shining. If a new light turns on when they flip a switch, they will figure that is factory.
Here in PA they check heads, tails, turns and parking lights. DRLs are not parking lights and there's a position on the light knob to turn the parks on so they know they should light up.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hey guys, if you're like me you wish your Daytime Running Lights were the LED "accents" the Canyon come with, much like the Sierra has, and because of this desire you drive around with your lights switched to the parking light mode.
In my truck (built for the Canadian market), when I put the light switch in the parking light position, the accent LED's & Park lights come on when the truck is started & the shifter is in "park", however as soon as you shift to drive (or reverse) the projectors come on as well. @jjbull007 do the projectors not come on in the trucks built for the US market, in the above scenario? :clueless

As someone stated in another thread, the only way to keep the projectors from coming on (that I know of) is to engage the park brake one click.

Learned a new " feature" on the truck just now. I never knew I could turn off the delay headlight function on the truck immediately, by rotating the light switch to the extreme L.H. position, will the wonders ever cease! :grin:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
@CrashFix For my truck, as long as the parking light switch is on, the LED's and front ambers come on no matter the gear position. I can take of video of this if need be
@jjbull007, that is how my truck woks also. What I'm trying to determine is when you put the truck in drive, do the headlights (projector lights) then come on?

This is how mine works.

Parking light switch on, trans in park: LED accent & amber lights on, projector's off.

Parking light switch on, trans in drive: LED accent, amber lights, & projector's all on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@CrashFix what you described is how my truck behaves in AUTO mode when its dark out. When turned to the parking light position (one right of AUTO), it is the LED's and ambers at all times, no projectors, despite the trans position and time of day.

In AUTO:
I. In dark/night conditions, the LED's and ambers will light while the key is turned to ON, but engine is not started, Once engine is started, all running lights come on including projectors.
II. In light/day conditions, Projectors ONLY come on at lower voltage as DRL when the transmission is shifted out of park.

In Parking Light mode:
I. LED's, Steady front ambers, Taillights, and License Lights all come on (No projectors). This overrides day/night conditions and transmission gear position.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.