Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are two 1-13/16" holes in the frame of my SLT, one on each side, just behind the rear axle housing, partially covered by the wheel housing liner. These are thru holes extruded to the inside of the boxed frame. Is there a purpose for these holes, ie. crush area or previous suspension use etc.?
Howard

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Really not sure why they are there. Do you have use for them or just wandering? There has to be a reason, for them to go to the trouble of putting them there, unless they are lifting points on the assembly line.

Reactions: PacificBlueDude

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really not sure why they are there. Do you have use for them or just wandering? There has to be a reason, for them to go to the trouble of putting them there, unless they are lifting points on the assembly line.
I was thinking of using them for mud flap hanger mounts. I'm going to put a set of 12 x 18" flaps on the rear. Factory flaps are useless and weather tech don't look any better. (They don't hang low enough). I live on back roads and the dirt and crap is getting thrown back into the bumper.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
The holes are there to make people ask questions why they are there.

The holes in the frames can be for many reasons From transportation, crash or MFG. Either way you should be safe using them for the flaps if you choose. Many aftermarket parts use use existing holes and mounts for putting on hitches, steps and bars.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Could also be there for strapping points for transit from the frame plant to assembly plant. If you have use for them, by all means do so, or they will never get used again.

Reactions: hyperv6

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all. I'll probably get to the fabrication in a few days. I'll know then if I can make the existing holes work. I'd rather not drill additional holes if I don't have to. My last truck, (2001, 2500HD, Duramax)' had a substantial channel frame that I felt more comfortable drilling and bolting to. We'll see.
Thanks again,
Howard

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Post some pics. when finished.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It might be a while. I did more measuring today and found the inner frame hole is a little bigger than the outer hole. No game changer if I decide they'll work for what I'm doing. Pictures are a problem for me but I can get the wife to take some.
Howard

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Holes. .. ? There are many reasons for them in the frame. Mostly good places for us to use and attach mods and accessories!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, Lets give this a try. The flaps are Highland 10071, (12"x18"). I didn't use the frame hole because, once I pulled back the liner I found some substantial sheet metal supporting the outer "fender". I squared up the inner flat area of the support sheet metal and added a 1/4" thick piece of SS to even the surface with the fender lip. I then cut a piece of stainless 2" wide x 1/8" thick to span between the inner support and the wheel opening lip. I predrilled/punched the 2" piece and the mudflap, leaving about 1" of the flaps outboard of the wheel opening then bolted them to the truck. I planned the mounting height to have the flaps about 5" from the ground.
This probably wouldn't work for off roading, but I don't plan on doing any. I had a set mounted at the same height on my 2500HD for 18 years and never tore one off. Now I'll try the pictures, some dark but you should get the idea.
IMG_20200327_103758.jpg IMG_20200327_104719.jpg IMG_20200327_105914.jpg IMG_20200327_110148.jpg
Howard

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Nice work. I liked the multi-dimension design of the OEM flaps, but I sure wish they went down as far as yours.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts