Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the dealer this morning to install my OEM fog light kit(84962253) on a 2022 WT Colorado. Put ALLA 5202's in to replace the stock halogens. When I mentioned this to service guy, he said LED's can cause damage to the wiring harness, along with, other electrical problems and could void my warranty if anything occurs. He specifically mentioned computer/electrical/AC problems he has witnessed first hand.
He suggested I put the stock halogens back in. I informed him I checked multiple forums and the LED's I installed were highly recommended and used by many knowledgeable Colorado owners. He claimed otherwise, so I deferred to his being the "service guy" and switched the bulbs back to stock before install.
Question to you all, have any of you had any issues with a plug and play change from stock halogen to LED in the fog lights or is this guy misinformed? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think the issue is when people who really don't know any better go on ebay and buy the cheapest third world country LED bulbs they can find, it overheats the housing/wiring harness, and then you start damaging the components. Classic case of "you get what you pay for."

·
Registered
2021 Colorado Z71 4X4 Cherry Red Tintcoat
10 Posts
I have been running ALLA switchback LEDs in my fog lights for over a year. I got them just to see if I preferred a white or amber light but have been pleased with the performance so I haven’t upgraded.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Technically the Lasfit LED's in my 2017 Canyon are for "off road use only" ...so maybe that is why he was encouraging you to put the stock halogens back in. But around here, they don't have enough cops to patrol the road for speeders or drunk drivers, so the chances I get pulled over for an LED headlight is slim to none.

They have a fan on them so you can hear the fan when the engine is off...I'm not worried about overheating or damage. The LED's pull less power through the wiring harness than the halogens so I'm not seeing how that could do damage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the issue is when people who really don't know any better go on ebay and buy the cheapest third world country LED bulbs they can find, it overheats the housing/wiring harness, and then you start damaging the components. Classic case of "you get what you pay for."
What are you running? I have these. Your opinion, good or bad?
Photograph Light Computer Font Screenshot

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
The harness damage comes from "CAN Bus LEDs". These have internal resistors. They suck at dissipating heat and so it just goes straight into the wiring. This usually destroys the harness within a year just from the connectors warping.

Low beams, Fog lights, and high beams do not require resistors. So this issue does not affect them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The harness damage comes from "CAN Bus LEDs". These have internal resistors. They suck at dissipating heat and so it just goes straight into the wiring. This usually destroys the harness within a year just from the connectors warping.

Low beams, Fog lights, and high beams do not require resistors. So this issue does not affect them.
THAT'S the info I need!! Now I know what to look for. Much appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
^^^That's what your service guy should've recommended.^^^

Vs...giving you the OEM warranty speech. If warranty coverage was an issue, on some things, then there'd be "0" fun w/ after-market upgrades. Like others said, cheapest might not always be best so...pick your upgrades carefully. :D

Reactions: Albert - FL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

What fog lights are you running? Thanks

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
get proper SAE beam replacement housing replacements if you are going to run them with your regular lights. If you are only going to use them off road then stick leds in them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts