Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious to see how the differential was looking and while I was at it took the time for a drain and fill along with a differential cover upgrade.

video:

There are not that many options out there but of those that are available I had a few considerations in finally selecting the AEV over other offerings.

What I am looking for with any differential cover:
1. Easier to fill - this has to be one of the most annoying parts of differential service and I don't want to have to use a pump or have to buy special oil in containers that allow for easy filling
- The AEV cover places the oversized fill in a place where it is not an issue and draining is done by releasing the cover from the housing and I do that on all diff services.
- All other options use a smaller hole and less accessible position. The addition of the drain plug in the bottom of some units is a novelty as I inspect the gear every time i replace the fluids so the cover comes off anyways.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

2. Stronger design - I did opt for the Bison because I wanted more protection for the undercarriage
- The AEV cover is made of nodular iron and it out scores the aluminum counterparts in tensile, shear, elongations and overall resilience which works for me in complimenting the goal of better impact resistance and overall protection. I like the added protection of the bolt heads being recessed. Much more important if you don't have the diff skid.
- The aluminum designs are nearly the same mass employing thicker material to compensate for less strength. Additionally bold heads are not completely recessed. I liek that AL has much better properties for cooling but with the frequency I service am not too worried about thermal conductivity,

3. Compatible with a rear sway bar.
- The AEV cover sits tight to the housing and does not offer additional fluid capacity but also will work with my rear sway bar.
- The aluminum designs incorporate larger housings for strength and as such build in extra capacity for fluids but this would interfere with my sway bar.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for sharing the vid, I subscribed. Im glad to see a cover that does not add fluid capacity. After seeing Gale Banks diff cover series, a deep cover wont be on my list.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts