Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use my 2005 colorado as tow vehicle. I would like to tow it short distances less than 20 miles, behind another full-size pickup or larger vehicle.

The owners manual says towing with all four wheels on the ground is no go with 2 wheel drives

After doing some basic research I believe the issue is the transmission not being properly lubricated

possible solutions

-install a driveshaft disconnect kit - OR

-figure out a way to sufficiently lubricate the internal parts of transmission

it seems to me that I should be able to find a way to pump oil through the transmission while being towed. I envision a toggle switch to turn the pump on and then either plumbing a port out of the pan and then back into the transmission.

I need advice and creativity to see if this is possible. remco makes a oil lubrication pump kit for automatic transmission vehicle but it is $$$ its on par with the driveshaft disconnect

what do you all think? Any advice or any Chevy trans techs have thoughts?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
515 Posts
Not entirely clear on your intended usage, like how often and such. Several years ago I had need to move an auto trans vehicle on a tow bar a couple of times only and just went the route of putting the towed vehicle in neutral with the engine running and towed it that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to tow it several times a day sometimes but always short distances less than 10 miles.

would leaving it run lubricate the manual transmission or does it have to be in gear?

do these pickups use a pressure system to lubricate or is some type of splash from gears turning?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Doubt the manuals in a Colorado are anything special. Very likely just a splash lubrication system. I would think it would still be splashing in neutral.

·
Registered
515 Posts
My bad. I overlooked the manual transmission part of your question. Manual trans vehicles (2wd) are generally recommended for not towing primarily because of the rear diff gears and drivetrain being driven from the wheels with the concern that thrust applied from the "other" direction leads to irregular wear.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Your best bet is to disconnect the driveshaft at the axle and tie it up with a belt. Will be a pain doing that alot. How about hauling it on a trailer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does anyone have experience with

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
does anyone have experience with

I have no experience with this kit but I do have a world of experience of living in a state with winter ice and snow and I can see this being a possible problem in winter weather. Not only a possible problem of being able to use if frozen up with ice/snow but also a potential problem of having it disengage when not wanted, leaving you lying underneath with a heat gun trying to defrost the linkage. It looks like a pretty clever idea for warm weather states though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts