Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Colorado with a factory tow package.

I knew there was some rear end damage before I bought it, but didn’t notice anything until I hooked up a trailer. The hitch and bumper tilt down in a way that I’m not comfortable with.

should I take it to a body shop and have this fixed? Or should I remove the factory hitch and replace with a third party model?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have my doubts the hitch itself would bend in a collision. And if it did the entire truck is going to be mangled.

It’s possible the bumper is not sitting correctly and the hitch is in fact sitting correctly.

Otherwise I would say the frame is toast. Stuff like this is why bending frames back should be illegal. Or at least have the truck reclassified as a car or something.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Step one, take truck to a collision shop with a frame machine and have it checked and straightened if needed.
Step two, replace the hitch. While "OK", the factory hitch isn't God's gift to the towing world and there are better units out there. And if this hitch was involved in an accident, I wouldn't trust it anyway.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Sounds like the frame maybe bent?
I seriously doubt that the hitch itself is bent. The bumper is a different story . If yours is a 1st gen Collie the bunper reinforcement bar is probably rusted out. It was made much thiner than the hitch and unpainted so it rusts quickly . I had a rear end collision about 8 years ago and about the only thing not damaged was the actual hitch. I woudl take it off (It is just bolted on), inspect it, and the frame where it is mounted. You probably ought to remove and inspect the bumper too. They are available new from multiple sites on the Internet.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
That hitch is stronger than the frame horns that it’s bolted to. I am thinking that this may be a body shop project. No the something you will be able to correct with just a new hitch installation. The bumper has nothing to do with it. The flimsy bumper bent way before the hitch contact.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I can't tell squat from the picture. I would need to see from an angle at same height as the hitch, or from further away.

It looks like the hitch is bent downward, and the bumper is bent as well. Definitely more than a simple 'replace the hitch' repair.

I also have never looked at the frame/hitch on a 1st Gen truck. On 2nd Gen trucks, the bumper is simply a decorative piece designed to bend and crumple like a piece of paper, while the hitch is actually an integral part of the frame.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i wouldn’t even bother having the frame pulled unless you also reinforce it with some welded metal. Tough to say where without looking where it has failed. Somewhere between the front of the rear tires and the back of the cab is the usual case with collisions.

With reinforcements though it’ll be much stronger than OEM. The frames are intentionally weak so they fail during a collision.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
You could try fixing it using the "redneck hot tub" method. Put a jack stand under an extended hitch, throw a tarp on the box and start filling with water until it straightens. Then check to see if there is any damage that needs reinforcing. I don't know if there would be enough weight for that to work though. It's probably safer to lower it slowly using a hydraulic jack.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I don’t really see anyway to straighten the hitch, it’s strong. The only way would probably be to cut the mounting brackets of& and weld new ones on. I just do not see you bending that hitch back into position, and if you did, the strength would be compromised. You should be able to see some bend somewhere.

Reactions: CaryBosse

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This was my initial thought too. Since aftermarket hitches bolt-on closer to the rear wheels than the factory hitch, I was hoping I might be able to bypass the damaged area, but I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
You guys are great. I guess I’m headed to the body shop.

The rest of the frame doesn’t look bent or damaged, but it maybe too subtle to notice.

Thanks for the help
There is no way for anyone to tell what to do without looking at it. A body shop is the best bet. They see this stuff all day every day and they can see it in person unlike us, by a pic on the internet. Let us know what happens.

p.s., I bet it's just the bumper bent up. (y)

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
You could try fixing it using the "redneck hot tub" method. Put a jack stand under an extended hitch, throw a tarp on the box and start filling with water until it straightens. Then check to see if there is any damage that needs reinforcing. I don't know if there would be enough weight for that to work though. It's probably safer to lower it slowly using a hydraulic jack.
Yikes!

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
This was my initial thought too. Since aftermarket hitches bolt-on closer to the rear wheels than the factory hitch, I was hoping I might be able to bypass the damaged area, but I guess we'll see.
On class III hitches like you have, they bolt up the same as your factory hitch, it’s class III also, same mounting locations. The factory uses aftermarket manufacturers to make their hitches and just put a GM Sticker on them.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Have you laid under the truck and looked at it? You should be able to see where it’s bent, before you take it in and have a chance of them ripping you off. May just be as simple as installing a new hitch, if the hitch brackets are bent. It’s not just the bumper, it’s the hitch or frame also.

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Colorado z71 Duramax Long bed
7 Posts
2011 Colorado with a factory tow package.

I knew there was some rear end damage before I bought it, but didn’t notice anything until I hooked up a trailer. The hitch and bumper tilt down in a way that I’m not comfortable with.

should I take it to a body shop and have this fixed? Or should I remove the factory hitch and replace with a third party model?

View attachment 390741
Bumper looks fine maybe is to much heavy for your model truck , check the weight tow capacity

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Bumper looks fine maybe is to much heavy for your model truck , check the weight tow capacity
Now that I look again, looks like that may be it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts