Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me some good beginner trails in colorado suitible for a jeep cherokee trailhawk as unfortunately i do not get to take the collie on vacation looking for a nice first time trail with minor climbing the wife and i can try out

·
Registered
17 Posts
I spend a lot of time out there in the summer near Gunnison and CB. One beautiful and easy loop is up to Paradise Divide and on up to Emerald Lake at Schofield Pass. It is easy and pretty awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are a couple of different Colorado Offload hand book out there. One is from a man , last name Wells. He has two books to cover most of the state(a couple for Moab as well). He has done the trails with a Jeep Cherokee. Done with some thought. You will need to try some of his trails to see where your ability lies. I have not tried any with my Colorado yet. But a good resource.
Trail damage.com is a web site that use to be free for the most part, and now is subscription based. It has info on trails here in colorado. I bought my Colorado for more backcountry car camping(have done some nice trips in the last year) What people refer to "Overlanding" now days. While I save my 93 80 series Land Cruiser for the hard backcountry trips.
For some one new to the sport, Really good advice is to never travel alone. But if you do, always leave where you are going, and when you are returning with some one that will help you(either come get you, or call the county sheriffs office for help) if you do not return for one reason or another.
Buy your colorado rescue fund card
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/do...scue-card-good-investment-outdoor-enthusiasts
This way if the county or state has to rescue you, your rescue is paid for.
Some State Trails require a extra paid sticker for use of the offload access. Where just having a licensed vehicle was good enough in the past, it is no longer, you need a OHV sticker as well.
Good luck.
If you ever feel the need to get some offload instruction, Look up Bill Burke, 4 Wheeling America. He is amazing in is knowledge base for offloading.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm late to the party? Have you taken this trip yet? What part of CO will you be in?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I can shed some light on this. I did tons of homework before I left in my Silverado Z71. In Colorado specifically (I also did some stuff in Moab) I did the Ophir pass and the entire Alpine loop. My truck has a 1.5 F 1 R level on a 33 AT tire (General Grabber AT2). Ophir wasn't much a problem, just a little skinny at times. Apline for the most part wasn't much a problem but the lower portion near 550 outside Ouray for the first 2 miles is pretty tough for a near stock vehicle. I drug the frame a few times, and axle once, also needed the locker and was a little more than I wanted to put my truck through but it made it through no problem. Colly should fair similar, ZR2 more so (talked to a guy from MN who was coming off blackbear in his).

Either way tons of awesome semi tame trails. There was a compass that made it up maybe a mile it stopped. Either way those were two good trails. I have a few others I want to hit next time in a few years. Be sure to air down, really helps smooth out the ride so you can travel a little faster at certain parts to make up time, it is a long ride.

Tyler

·
Registered
163 Posts
I spend a lot of time out there in the summer near Gunnison and CB. One beautiful and easy loop is up to Paradise Divide and on up to Emerald Lake at Schofield Pass. It is easy and pretty awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m headed to Almont in mid December. I know everything will be covered in snow but can you recommended any fairly easy and scenic trails that time of the year.
I have a winch and chains but would rather not use them both at the same time...lol
Gonna be doing so skiing in CB while there too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.