Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon Denali Diesel 4X4. Summit White, Cocoa/Dark Atmosphere, Black wheel package
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I added DEF for the first time. Level was at 29%, 2.5 gallons brought it up to 73%. Went to a dealership and bought the AC Delco brand. $23.54 for a 2.5 gallon jug. It had a transfer hose with a little rubber vacuum breaker vent thing in the cap. It looked kind of flimsy and I didn’t have a lot of faith in it. I had a plastic bag, an old towel, extra rags, nitrile gloves, safety glasses and everything just shy of the U.S. Coast Guard Spill and Hazmat team standing by. By being careful and taking my time not one single drop spilled. That flimsy little hose worked just fine. The vacuum breaker was actually spill proof. Nice setup AC Delco has put together there.

Reactions: Firehk

·
Registered
640 Posts
whatever you do,, don't use Peak Platinum DEF

Pretty much anything else will work as long as it's reasonably fresh ( I have used Walmart DEF for 60000 miles with no issues )

·
Registered
2022 AT4 CCSB Diesel
157 Posts
Today I added DEF for the first time. Level was at 29%, 2.5 gallons brought it up to 73%. Went to a dealership and bought the AC Delco brand. $23.54 for a 2.5 gallon jug. It had a transfer hose with a little rubber vacuum breaker vent thing in the cap. It looked kind of flimsy and I didn’t have a lot of faith in it. I had a plastic bag, an old towel, extra rags, nitrile gloves, safety glasses and everything just shy of the U.S. Coast Guard Spill and Hazmat team standing by. By being careful and taking my time not one single drop spilled. That flimsy little hose worked just fine. The vacuum breaker was actually spill proof. Nice setup AC Delco has put together there.
That's the DEF I get too. I usually let it get down under 20 percent and fill it up with one jug to about 55%-65% and then let it run down again. It might be dumb, but I figured AC Delco stuff would be less risky than other brands to use.

As for the safety stuff, I don't use any special gear. I just fill it up in the dealership parking lot and give the jug back to them when I am done 🙂

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon Denali Diesel 4X4. Summit White, Cocoa/Dark Atmosphere, Black wheel package
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whatever you do,, don't use Peak Platinum DEF

Pretty much anything else will work as long as it's reasonably fresh ( I have used Walmart DEF for 60000 miles with no issues )
Thanks, I read that on here once before. I wonder what’s up with that? Peak is okay but Peak Platinum…. not so much. I appreciate the heads up.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the DEF I get too. I usually let it get down under 20 percent and fill it up with one jug to about 55%-65% and then let it run down again. It might be dumb, but I figured AC Delco stuff would be less risky than other brands to use.

As for the safety stuff, I don't use any special gear. I just fill it up in the dealership parking lot and give the jug back to them when I am done 🙂
I don’t think it’s dumb at all. Any DEF related issues, I have all of the receipts of what I used. As far as the safety gear goes…. I may have exaggerated a little bit.;)

Reactions: Firehk

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know they sell DEF at truck stops at the pump, way cheaper than what you said you paid !
I would spend more in diesel than I paid to get to a truck stop!

·
Registered
640 Posts
You know they sell DEF at truck stops at the pump, way cheaper than what you said you paid !
I might have to start looking into that. No truck stops close to where I live or drive to normally but even Walmart DEF has been getting costlier off late so that might motivate me to pay a visit to a truck stop

·
Registered
2016 GMC Colorado 2.8 Duramax diesel
31 Posts
What you need to look for is the DATE the DEF was manufactured, all DEF has to meet the specs, OEM is no better than WalMarts Super Tech.

Costco & WalMart probably have the freshest because they move the most & have the best price, Costco was $10.99 for 2.5 gal for Peak Blue DEF & WalMart is $10.48 for Super Tech.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
DEF was $2.99/gallon at the local truck stop on Sunday. I think I get a discount on that too with my TSD card along with diesel. Having a couple diesel pigs around, a fuel discount program and cheap DEF is a must.

$24 plus a trip to the dealer is....well, I guess if that's the only option... I think Napa or O'Reallys sells it for like $12 a box, but maybe that was a while ago. That leaves you $12 left over for lunch!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
DEF was $2.99/gallon at the local truck stop on Sunday. I think I get a discount on that too with my TSD card along with diesel. Having a couple diesel pigs around, a fuel discount program and cheap DEF is a must.

$24 plus a trip to the dealer is....well, I guess if that's the only option... I think Napa or O'Reallys sells it for like $12 a box, but maybe that was a while ago. That leaves you $12 left over for lunch!
DEF was $12.69 / 2.5 gal for the regular (Peak) Blue DEF at my local grocery store here in SA up until about 3 months ago. I‘s now up to $16.49 / 2.5 gal.
On a positive note, they always have fresh DEF (checked today and they had 2 containers with a manufactured date of July 18, 2022) and it’s in an area close to coolers for refrigerated items, bottom shelf and kept quite cool as a result.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

The dealer is about 15 minutes from me. Five minutes at the parts counter and I’m on my way. Like I stated before, it would cost me more in diesel to and from the nearest truck stop than the DEF cost. Bought the truck December 6th 2021. If $2.66 a month is too much, then you should probably go with a gasser.

Reactions: SFLTruck

·
Registered
365 Posts
i found a couple local spots that have this, you just gotta really watch the flow as those things can fill up the tiny tanks on these trucks in a hurry :D
local shops have the 2.5 gallon jugs for $15-20, and i can usually get a whole ~4.5gal fill for around $10 at the truck stops. and the diesel is cheaper there typically as well

as for the safety aspect - dont sweat getting any on the paint or the truck, doesnt hurt anything. obviously an annoyance to have the little crystals all over after it dries but wont harm anything and they come off easy enough

1 - 17 of 17 Posts