Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

First 3 recommended mods/accessories

41K views 154 replies 75 participants last post by  djginwis 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

Since this topic frequently comes up I figured I would make a short post to refer people to rather than type this out several times and also start a discussion. What were your first 3 mods ? And would you do them again, or change up the order ?

My first three recommended mods, in order of price because I think they're all equally useful/important/impactful:

Obligatory I purchased all of this myself, not affiliated or sponsored by Weathertech, SuperBrightLEDS, etc...

1. Center console organizer

2. LED replacement interior & license plate lights
Map/Reading lights: 5x (3 packs): Philips Xtreme Vision 360 X-tremeUltinon LED (The SuperBrightLEDs ones had a ton of EMI and nerfed my keyfob)
Vanity lights: 4x 6612F Vehicle Vanity LED Light Bulb
License Plate:2x 194 LED Landscape Light Bulb 30 Lumens

3. Weathertech sunshade (& floor mats if you don't have any)
FloorLiners
WeatherTech Sunshade

(4. Diesel) 5x 8oz Nalgene HDPE Wide Mouth Containers for additive

CAO 13 April 2022
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern

Should have made this a poll from the beginning lol. Here's the tallied votes. A mod needs 2 votes to be included.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
I'm a big fan of duck fabric, and those Carharts look nice, but $800+ for a set of seat covers ?! I thought I was breaking the bank with $500 CoverKing Neoprene covers. WetOkole is around the same price.

Why the rubbery weathertechs ? Your truck, your preferences, your money, just curious. Might help someone else as well

#4 ·
My first 3 were:

1.Window tint and windshield IR heat rejection film.
2. Silver star ultra high and low bulbs.
3. Side steps.
Would do all again, tint helps with appearance and really makes a difference on how fast interior heats up in the sun, ac works a lot less. Bulbs helped as an in-between until I do further mods. The steps greatly help my short wife, mother, and young kids get in and out.

#6 ·
Solid mods. No sunshade ? Just the tint ?

#11 ·
I am confused by the OP
"What were your first 3 mods ? "
"My first three recommended mods, "

My first 3 were
1. Running boards
2.Truxedo Sentry tonneau cover
https://realtruck.com/p/truxedo-sentry-tonneau-cover/trx-1549801/
3. carpet for the bed,
Lowes, Home depot or local carpet buy a scrape of carpet so things do not slide around

Recommend, cause some things listed come as OEM depending on model
1. Silver Star light bulb conversions
2. Seat Covers
2. Interior LED lights

Reactions: ARCowboy
#14 ·
I am confused by the OP
"What were your first 3 mods ? "
"My first three recommended mods, "

My first 3 were
1. Running boards
2.Truxedo Sentry tonneau cover
https://realtruck.com/p/truxedo-sentry-tonneau-cover/trx-1549801/
3. carpet for the bed,
Lowes, Home depot or local carpet buy a scrape of carpet so things do not slide around

Recommend,
1. Silver Star light bulb conversions
2. Seat Covers
2. Interior LED lights
I wanted to have something to link others to when they ask this question in the newcomer section and also open the floor for others inputs, since there is no one size fits all for trucks or mods.

They're my recommendations but also what I have on my truck, although they weren't my first 3. I did the LEDs and sunshade/floor mats immediately but I don't think the center console organizer was available in 2016 (or I didn't know about it).

#12 ·
Slightly different priorities. I enjoy offroading very quickly and at night. So good lights for visibility (I did one night run with stock lights and couldn't see a damn thing), compressor for comfort and offroad traction, and finally, dual purpose seat covers to not only help me stay glued to the leather seats, but also protect the leather incase I accidentally sh!t myself. 😂
  1. Retrofit Source 4TLR HID projector upgrade
  2. ARB Twin compressor/589Fab bracket/hose/inflator/etc.
  3. Wet Okole Seat Covers

#16 ·
Tonneau cover
Weathertech floormats
Trailer brake controller

Actually, my first 2 were stubby antenna and bed tie downs.

#25 ·
So far all great answers! Hard to only pick three

First, three are free mods

1 air dam removal
2 Debadge (excluding canyon badges on doors, GMC lettering on grill and tailgate) makes the truck look so much cleaner
3 This one is stupidly simple and makes the lighting signature look unique, on the turn signal bulb break off the inner two leads to prevent the light from being on while the truck runs This post has a better description they do still work when you signal left or right.

Paid mods/accessories

if you didn't get a spray in liner from factory I highly recommend it.

1 LED lights (fog, hi, low) especially if you live somewhere with lots of wildlife
2 Tonneau cover
3 fender lip and rocker panel protection. Personally I used a can of rubberized undercoat spray to coat the rock chipped edge of my fenders and along the bottom of the rocker panel and pinch weld area

#30 ·
3 This one is stupidly simple and makes the lighting signature look unique, on the turn signal bulb break off the inner two leads to prevent the light from being on while the truck runs This post has a better description they do still work when you signal left or right.
This mod may be illegal in the U.S., depending on the state that you live in.

#26 ·
Rectangle Font Parallel Symmetry Pattern

Currently Tonneau Cover, Floorliners, and headlight upgrades are the top 3 mods, followed closely by side steps/sliders and some form of bedliner/rug

#28 ·
Currently Tonneau Cover, Floorliners, and headlight upgrades are the top 3 mods, followed closely by side steps/sliders and some form of bedliner/rug
Just think how much money GM could save us if they offered vinyl flooring. Two things I've said about that in the past:

1. I'd love to be able to order a truck with vinyl flooring and leather seats.

2. Carpet in cars/trucks reminds me of an old National Lampoon thing where they had an advertisement for cow armor, to keep hunters from killing famers' cows. Later they had an advertisement for cow armor piercing bullets, for hunters having a bad day and the only animal they find is one wearing cow armor. Originally cars/trucks didn't have carpet, then they started adding it, and quickly thereafter floor mats and similar came into being.

#27 ·
I'm going to cheat:

1. Lights: Headlights, interior lights and tail lights, specifically the back up lights, all replaced with better quality LEDs.
2. Weathertech products: Hood protector, window vents, floor liners and mud flaps.
3. Heads up display. Note, this last one only counts if you were able to order your truck with a heated steering wheel. Otherwise, that would supplant the HUD.

#29 ·
I bought 5 things at the same time right off the bat from Amazon. I don't remember which 3 were first in the cart so here are the 5.

1. Tyger side steps (short wife)
2. Center console tray.
3. Husky floor liners.
4. "Colorado" door sill protectors.
5. Cupholder hero inserts.

The side steps I have since replaced with some NFab nerf steps but I still have everything else. Sometimes its the small details...

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

#31 ·
Q: I bought Husky floor liners for my new '16 Canyon strictly because their site stated the liners went over the door sill. I'm usually a Weathertech guy (5 sets is various vehicles) but their site didn't state this and the stock photos didn't show it. I was satisfied with the Husky liners.

Are the Weathertech's over the sill? What about the GM floor liners?

I'd also like to know about the side height. The Husky's were okay but I would like higher side coverage.

Just bought a '22 ZR2 and need floor liners before the winter mess.

#64 ·
AFAIK the GM Premium All Weather Floorliners are the only ones that go over the sill and on the inside they are roughly the height of cowboy boots. So they are super deep and made of nice thick rubber, much better build quality, fit, finish, and coverage than WeatherTech or Husky, and depending on where you get them better price too. Another problem with the WeatherTech liners is they easily break loose from the anchors, never had that problem with the GM liners.

#33 ·
First is the nerf bar/step. I'm 5' 2".
Next is tonneau cover.
Then the Bedrug.
I also feel mud flaps/guards are important. These things throw up a lot of crud onto the body.
I've decided to stick with the carpet floor mats. If I am driving home from camp and my feet are wet or too hot in my boots, I like to have the carpet when I kick off the boots. If I could get the nice, soft rubber mats that my husband got stock with his 2015 Silverado LTZ, I'd possibly switch to those.

#36 ·
For my 2019 Bison I did the following:

#1 - Basics - The top tray for the center console and the in-bed tie downs - both ordered off Amazon together.
#2 - Off Road Improvements - Replaced the backend of the exhaust on the Duramax with the AFE Hi-tuck and moved the spare out from under the rear end.
#3 - Security - Truxedo roll-up bed tonneau cover and secured the spare in the bed.

#38 ·
1. Husky floor liners (they are better than Weather Tech - I've had both).
2. Level front end - easy enough to do if you have modest mechanical skills / tools and not that expensive with a multitude of aftermarket kits available.
3. IF you have one remove the front air dam!

#39 ·
LED headlights, GM tonneau cover, MOI hidden winch and rc921 level spacer.

Reactions: ARCowboy
#42 ·
I was trying to keep this kinda generic, but 100% agree that my #2 diesel mod behind running additive would be a provent.

You mean an entire truck cover ?

How does a lack of running boards blow the seats out ?