Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I baked and jailbroke my headlights, painted them satin black to match the bowtie I painted earlier this month, and with the metallic fog light bezels, I think the front end is just about done! Next on the list is 265/70R17 Wildpeaks AT3W's and the peak suspension trail kit and RKR sliders for steps.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Did you paint everything black in the headlight except the hi-beam reflector?

Looks good.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Looks good. Any reason why you didnt install a clear side reflector since you had the headlights open already?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, sprayed everything the same flat black. I was going to do a metallic gray/black but got tired of messing with the headlights.

I like the orange reflector. I am probably in the minority here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, for those thinking of blacking out their headlights... Baking the lights was a PITA. I spent 8 hours cracking them open, painting, and sealing them back up. I was originally going to use the same stuff that came with the lights, but I managed to mangle the lip pretty bad so I ended up using 2/3 of a tube of black RTV on each light assembly instead. Knowing what I know now, I would NOT DO IT AGAIN.

I had to continue because I had messed up one lip pretty bad, and the only way to fix it was to continue and use a heat gun to reshape the housing and a pair of needle nose pliers. I somehow also managed to crack one of the high beam reflectors and snap about 1/3 of the reflector off. Luckily, it was a clean break, so I used some plastic card stock cut to shape and some super glue to secure the reflector piece back onto the rest of the reflector.

Baking the headlights was very high risk and moderate reward. If I had to do it again, I would just buy one of the aftermarket blacked out headlight assemblies available for $350-400.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love the look of the blacked out lights but looking at my truck a while back I came to the same conclusion about breaking the lights open - more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I tried sime of the aftermarket options but the light output quality were all worse than stock. The first one I opened was difficult but the second one was a lot easier. Bake it for 15 minutes then try opening in for 5-10 minutes. Any longer and the glue hardens and you'll only end up breaking the housing. You'll need to repeat this at least 3 or 4 times. Don't use a heat gun. It will only melt the housing plastic instead of the glue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As far as breaking the headlights open. I wouldn't do it either. I looked at replacing a lens on my Corvette and just decided to use one of the lens repair kits. Bake it in the oven? Really? You're kidding, right? New headlight module: $1000, new lens: ~$150 + install ~$225, 3M lens polishing kit: $25. Easy decision.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As far as breaking the headlights open. I wouldn't do it either. I looked at replacing a lens on my Corvette and just decided to use one of the lens repair kits. Bake it in the oven? Really? You're kidding, right? New headlight module: $1000, new lens: ~$150 + install ~$225, 3M lens polishing kit: $25. Easy decision.
I spent about $40 on spray paint and butyl glue. You can't get rid of the chrome with a lens polishing kit. But I agree, it's not for everybody.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I baked and jailbroke my headlights, painted them satin black to match the bowtie I painted earlier this month, and with the metallic fog light bezels, I think the front end is just about done! Next on the list is 265/70R17 Wildpeaks AT3W's and the peak suspension trail kit and RKR sliders for steps. View attachment 379179

i really never liked the colorado front end BUT that looks pretty good
i generally

·
Registered
13 Posts
I spent about $40 on spray paint and butyl glue. You can't get rid of the chrome with a lens polishing kit. But I agree, it's not for everybody.
Oh no, I understand completely! WIth my Vette the goal was a clear lens. If I wanted to change the color like you did ... looks great BTW ... I would have taken a different approach.
Art

·
Registered
48 Posts
I may never try this but what is recipe? Bake at 350 for 15 minutes? Stick a fork in it? Can you microwave it (I guess the chrome would react to the microwave)

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
there is a thread in the how to section, I think, more like bake at 225 for 12-15 minutes...and slowly pop the tab's and work your way around, bake and repeat...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I baked at 250, but I had to use an oven mitt to hold the light assembly. The box for the glue stuff said bake for 15 @265 I think.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, my lenses did not come off that easily.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
11 Participants
nimdabew
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing