Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Diesel and it has been the most unreliable vehicle I have ever purchased. I had an overheating problem at 10K miles and they replaced the clutch fan. The overheating problem occurred again at 11K miles but this time it was the thermostat. Currently the truck has been in the shop for 2 weeks because of a suspected turbo failure at 15K miles. The parts are on order from Detroit.

I love the diesel but just don't trust it. My own personal experience is this truck is not ready for prime time. You read all the reports of alternator pully leaks, numerous sensor failures, pinion gears and the odds that this thing will make it post warranty are pretty slim. As soon as I get it back from the dealer I will be filing a Lemon Law claim.

Has anyone else had experience with a Lemon? I really don't want a trade for another Colorado as I am just not willing to play the odds any more.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's unfortunate that you have had so many problems. Just to play devils advocate however, it seems difficult to tell how pervasive the problems are. Sure there are threads here about the issues you mention, but how many is that really? Chevy sold just shy of 109,000 Colorado's in 2016 (146,000 if you include Canyons). Now the numbers I found didn't break down how many of those were diesel, but that's a pretty large number of trucks either way.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a 2016 Diesel and it has been the most unreliable vehicle I have ever purchased. I had an overheating problem at 10K miles and they replaced the clutch fan. The overheating problem occurred again at 11K miles but this time it was the thermostat. Currently the truck has been in the shop for 2 weeks because of a suspected turbo failure at 15K miles. The parts are on order from Detroit.

I love the diesel but just don't trust it. My own personal experience is this truck is not ready for prime time. You read all the reports of alternator pully leaks, numerous sensor failures, pinion gears and the odds that this thing will make it post warranty are pretty slim. As soon as I get it back from the dealer I will be filing a Lemon Law claim.

Has anyone else had experience with a Lemon? I really don't want a trade for another Colorado as I am just not willing to play the odds any more.
I had this happen to me with my dodge. You had a truck built on a Monday or a Friday

·
Registered
773 Posts

Sorry you had so many issues. I myself have had 35K trouble free miles. Not so much as a rattle. I do not recall seeing any other diesel member here having had gone through a lemon but I could be wrong. I have seen a few guys with the gassers go through it. Do a search for lemon on the site and I am sure you will find a few hits and tips. Hope you have better luck with the next vehicle you choose.

Edit: after re-reading your post, It seems to me this is more of a dealer problem. It looks like they are throwing parts at it rather than diagnosing the true problem. So to you it seems like multiple failures in parts/truck but in reality the dealer never fixed the problem correctly in the first place.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Around 18k here and no "failures". I have had plenty of rattles, misfit panels and dangling wires. Last Summer the TC started hinting at shudder and I did the 3x fluid swap myself. All has been fine since.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Edit: after re-reading your post, It seems to me this is more of a dealer problem. It looks like they are throwing parts at it rather than diagnosing the true problem. So to you it seems like multiple failures in parts/truck but in reality the dealer never fixed the problem correctly in the first place.
I was thinking the same thing. I have a buddy who is a local business owner with constant fueling/engine issues with his new Silverado getting repaired at a small local dealer in our rural area. At the shop all the time getting worked on. The last time it was in for 2 weeks and when it came back it was finally working properly and has been good for many months since.

Sounds good, right? A few weeks after the truck was fixed the last time I happened to be talking to an acquaintance who owns 2 good sized Chevy dealerships 1/2 hour from where we live. I mentioned to him about all the issues my friend was having with his truck. He tells me he knows all about it because the small dealer sent it out to them to repair it. The local dealer never told the truck owner about it! It was not a truck issue, it was a shitty service department issue. My guess would be your dealer's service department has poor/little knowledge of diesels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also thought the service techs didn't know what they were doing but each time after they fixed the truck I was trouble free for a few months until something else showed up.

For example the clutch fan replacement totally fixed my overheating issue (it was easily repeatable) I was sure I had a second failure of the clutch fan when the overheating issue occurred again but it ended up being the thermostat. After a few months being trouble free my trucked started to whine like a banshee and the current diagnosis is the turbo. Even if the they replace the turbo and the problem goes away I just seriously doubt that something else isn't going to show up.

I am rapidly approaching 18 months which is the cutoff for the Virginia Lemon Law. All I am waiting for at this point is getting the truck back so I can calculate the total days in the shop. In Virginia you need 30 days within the first 18 months to make the Lemon claim.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I also thought the service techs didn't know what they were doing but each time after they fixed the truck I was trouble free for a few months until something else showed up.

For example the clutch fan replacement totally fixed my overheating issue (it was easily repeatable) I was sure I had a second failure of the clutch fan when the overheating issue occurred again but it ended up being the thermostat. After a few months being trouble free my trucked started to whine like a banshee and the current diagnosis is the turbo. Even if the they replace the turbo and the problem goes away I just seriously doubt that something else isn't going to show up.

I am rapidly approaching 18 months which is the cutoff for the Virginia Lemon Law. All I am waiting for at this point is getting the truck back so I can calculate the total days in the shop. In Virginia you need 30 days within the first 18 months to make the Lemon claim.
Sorry to hear all that, that sucks.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I know the turbos run pretty hot, but I wonder if perhaps the fan clutch failure and t-stat failure that both led to overheating caused the turbo to overheat and crack. I've heard of one or two other turbo failures due to cracking, but I don't know if they knew the root cause. The turbos are cooled by coolant, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that your issues actually are all related..

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had this happen to me with my dodge. You had a truck built on a Monday or a Friday
This doesn't apply to the modern day assembly plants. They are almost completely done with robotics, especially the engine.

......It was not a truck issue, it was a shitty service department issue. My guess would be your dealer's service department has poor/little knowledge of diesels.
Which this is crappy part of being under warranty, if you take it to a private shop that knows what they are doing, its out of pocket usually.

I know the turbos run pretty hot, but I wonder if perhaps the fan clutch failure and t-stat failure that both led to overheating caused the turbo to overheat and crack. I've heard of one or two other turbo failures due to cracking, but I don't know if they knew the root cause. The turbos are cooled by coolant, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that your issues actually are all related..
I didn't know the turbos on these mini max's were being cooled by the coolant.

If this is the case, then it all makes sense for the OP's failures.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had a 93 Astro van that GM did an exchange of collateral for. It had a vibration in the engine that could not be fixed. The Astro they switched me to was great and was trouble free until I traded it at 99,000 plus miles.
The key was to be persistent and not abusive in my dealings with GM. When you build tens of thousands of vehicles, there will be a few that hit a sour note. Sorry to hear that you seem to have gotten one. My dealer was great all the way thru. They were on my side every step of the way mainly because I stayed positive with them and GM. Make a friend of the zone rep and keep after them.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Get your lemon and get yourself another Duramax, you're going to get lemons with any brand, any body, any engine.

I got my lemon and I went straight back in, no problems.

Love the new truck even is it's same ol same ol

·
Premium Member
3,623 Posts
Get your lemon and get yourself another Duramax, you're going to get lemons with any brand, any body, any engine.

I got my lemon and I went straight back in, no problems.

Love the new truck even is it's same ol same ol
I'm looking at your signature and the list of trucks you went through in two years. :surprise:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'm looking at your signature and the list of trucks you went through in two years. :surprise:
Yeah, I wish I could say that it's nice to have the new truck feeling 3 times in a row...and it kinda was.

but I really hoping I get to keep this for at least 10 years, it's set up the way I want it, even has a few extras. :wink2:

·
Registered
209 Posts
burnt fan clutch spun the thermostat bearing causing a piece of bearing to get lodged in turbo coolant cup

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just did a bit of research for you (sorry, not the best news)

Doesnt look like you can file for a lemon in VA after 18 months of owning the vehicle (unless you are still under that time period in which case, file away!!!)

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title59.1/chapter17.3/section59.1-207.11/

"Lemon law rights period" means the period ending eighteen months after the date of the original delivery to the consumer of a new motor vehicle. This shall be the period during which the consumer can report any nonconformity to the manufacturer and pursue any rights provided for under this chapter.

§ 59.1-207.13. Nonconformity of motor vehicles.

B. It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been undertaken to conform a motor vehicle to any warranty and that the motor vehicle is significantly impaired if during the period of eighteen months following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to the consumer either:

1. The same nonconformity has been subject to repair three or more times by the manufacturer, its agents or its authorized dealers and the same nonconformity continues to exist;

2. The nonconformity is a serious safety defect and has been subject to repair one or more times by the manufacturer, its agent or its authorized dealer and the same nonconformity continues to exist; or

3. The motor vehicle is out of service due to repair for a cumulative total of thirty calendar days, unless such repairs could not be performed because of conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealers, including war, invasion, strike, fire, flood or other natural disasters.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went through this process back in 2002 for my 2002 Trailblazer. I had four presumptions at the time in OH:
- 3+ times being fixed for three things
- 3+ fixes for a safety item
- out of service 30+ days
- 3+ defects

Thankfully this vehicle didn't have leg. Otherwise, it would have kicked me in the nuts any chance it got.

Just did a bit of research for you (sorry, not the best news)

Doesnt look like you can file for a lemon in VA after 18 months of owning the vehicle (unless you are still under that time period in which case, file away!!!)

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title59.1/chapter17.3/section59.1-207.11/

"Lemon law rights period" means the period ending eighteen months after the date of the original delivery to the consumer of a new motor vehicle. This shall be the period during which the consumer can report any nonconformity to the manufacturer and pursue any rights provided for under this chapter.

§ 59.1-207.13. Nonconformity of motor vehicles.

B. It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been undertaken to conform a motor vehicle to any warranty and that the motor vehicle is significantly impaired if during the period of eighteen months following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to the consumer either:

1. The same nonconformity has been subject to repair three or more times by the manufacturer, its agents or its authorized dealers and the same nonconformity continues to exist;

2. The nonconformity is a serious safety defect and has been subject to repair one or more times by the manufacturer, its agent or its authorized dealer and the same nonconformity continues to exist; or

3. The motor vehicle is out of service due to repair for a cumulative total of thirty calendar days, unless such repairs could not be performed because of conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealers, including war, invasion, strike, fire, flood or other natural disasters.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts