Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: My LGZ V6 has the injection "tick" but it is very load and never goes away. I pulled my stethoscope out of retirement and listened to the engine, noise is from the back of the engine. Didn't feel like pulling the cover and looking further. It is so load I can hear it with the windows up, at low rpm it sounds like a flat cam lobe. I got tried of the local dealer telling me it's a 'feature' and shinning my on. I called Chevrolet CS and filed a complaint. I should get a call from my dealer in the next 24hrs.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
^ ^ ^

Yup . .. that. Those HPFP make a characteristic "tick-tick-tick" sound.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From everything I have read I'm 99% sure this noise is from the hi pressure pump. Now if I can get Chevy to replace it. I got a call from the local service manager within 2 hrs of filing the complaint. Scheduled to leave the truck over night and have a loaner lined up.

I saw a copy of a GM letter here that directed dealers not to replace the pump or injectors because of noise, can't seem to find it again. I want a copy to show my dealer.

·
Registered
207 Posts
From everything I have read I'm 99% sure this noise is from the hi pressure pump. Now if I can get Chevy to replace it. I got a call from the local service manager within 2 hrs of filing the complaint. Scheduled to leave the truck over night and have a loaner lined up.

I saw a copy of a GM letter here that directed dealers not to replace the pump or injectors because of noise, can't seem to find it again. I want a copy to show my dealer.
The high pressure fuel pump is supposed to tick like that. All the LGZ's do it. Now yours may be louder than others. I would have them test it against another on the lot. As soon as they start it they should be able to tell if it is louder. And the GM letter you are referring to is a TSB.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Regardless of how loud it is you shouldn't be able to hear it in the cab of the truck with the windows up. That's the litmus test I would use when checking it against another truck on the lot.

I remember someone complaining about loud engine noise inside the cab of the truck and it turned out GM had left out a seal somewhere making things unusually loud in the cab. Not sure that's your issue; just mentioning it as something else to possibly check into.

-Curtiss

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This morning at the dealer we lined four new 3.6 V6 Colorado's next to my ZR2. Started all and mine sounds like a flat cam and the other like a sewing machine. Service manger and mechanic all agreed there is serious issue. I have a case# now and waiting to hear from engineers at corporate. I'm betting they replace the hi pressure pump, that is the "ticking" sound source.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, My truck now sounds like a well oiled sewing machine. I was surprised at what the tech found, as both the service writer, service manager and myself thought for sure it was the hi pressure fuel pump. The tech traced it to #5 intake lifter not pumping up. They did a very nice job, I could not tell they had the intake off. Everything very clean under the hood.

My engine has rattled since the day I bought it, it's so nice to have a quiet engine now. I can go through the drive thru lane and not hear the tick,tick, tick. Zero out of pocket but I did suffer driving a 18 Malibu loaner car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.