Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to visit the dealership for warranty repair due to fender flares separating from the body. I know some of you have been through this. Can you tell me if this is a Service Dept. or Body Shop issue? Thanks.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I think its the glue/tape that the fenders use. Ive been back at the dealer twice now and once to the body shop to get it installed right, and even still its coming off...

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
For this repair, any mechanic can do as they are simple to install.
For this repair, they need to remove a couple screws, remove the existing tape, clean the body panels and stick them back on.

Shame that they couldnt come up with a more permanent solution instead of relying on such a method that could be easily improved.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Took like two-three trips to resolve this through warranty. My rears were coming off, turns out they didn't install the two screws that hold the top in. I took mine to the service department, they took care of the rest. If you are in warranty go get it fixed.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I installed myself and the driver's rear keeps peeling. I'm living with it now. I've prepped properly and everything. The 3m tape doesn't have quiet enough to keep it stuck down.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I installed myself and the driver's rear keeps peeling. I'm living with it now. I've prepped properly and everything. The 3m tape doesn't have quiet enough to keep it stuck down.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
I installed my OEM fender flares almost 6 months ago and so far they are holding on fine. I did not prep using alcohol, but instead first wiped down twice with naptha and then wiped twice using CRC MAF sensor cleaner which is a degreasing agent that will not harm paint. It is a freon type solvent an leaves no residue or film. Some have also applied an adhesive promoter to the fender edge first after cleaning it.

The only place I see a potential problem in the lower front leading edge of the Front Flare. This spot did not seem to match the curve of the the last 3/4" inch or so of the fender from the get go. I will be possibly applying some additional adhesive or try a heat gun to soften and mold that spot. I might squeeze a bit of RTV into this small gap to seal it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Add me to the list.
Both rears separating.
I just noticed my rear flares are starting to separate too....Oh well My buddy at the dealer will take care of me after this Irma is done

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Taking it in on Thursday 9/14/17 to be fixed? Will see how it goes. Was told by Service Manager that if they were dealer installed, that he cannot help me because GM will not pay for his labor. If they were on the truck when I purchased it then he may be able to help me. Will see.b

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Taking it in on Thursday 9/14/17 to be fixed? Will see how it goes. Was told by Service Manager that if they were dealer installed, that he cannot help me because GM will not pay for his labor. If they were on the truck when I purchased it then he may be able to help me. Will see.b

Could be right. They might consider it not "permanently installed"

From the GM parts warranty information page:http://www.genuinegmparts.com/resources/warranty-info

GM Accessories

If dealer installed and permanently attached to the vehicle, covered under the provisions of the New Vehicle Warranty, but in no event less than 12 months with unlimited miles (parts and labor). For accessories not permanently attached to the vehicle, 12 months with unlimited miles (parts only).

·
Registered
994 Posts

That's strange, I know that if my dealer installs any GM accessories on my truck they told me they will cover them under warranty if there are any problems with their installation, IIRC for one year. I wonder if the rules vary between dealers? Also, AFAIK none of these trucks come from the manufacturer with the flares already attached. They are installed when the truck is delivered to the selling dealer.

·
Registered
378 Posts
That's strange, I know that if my dealer installs any GM accessories on my truck they told me they will cover them under warranty if there are any problems with their installation, IIRC for one year. I wonder if the rules vary between dealers? Also, AFAIK none of these trucks come from the manufacturer with the flares already attached. They are installed when the truck is delivered to the selling dealer.
Just had my rear one's replace...fully under warranty.......they advised it was ordered with the truck and all LPO items are under the factory warranty when ordering a new vehicle

·
Registered
411 Posts
So im dealing with the same issue on my two front flares. I brought the truck to the dealership and they told me the flares that came with the truck when I bought it aren't covered under the gm warranty. What do I do to get these flares fixed by the bumper to bumper warrenty?

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Were they factory installed? If so its a warranty issue. They tried to pull that on me years ago on my S10 when it started to rust around the fender flares , saying I installed them , Had to point out they were factory installed and then they got fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Were they factory installed? If so its a warranty issue. They tried to pull that on me years ago on my S10 when it started to rust around the fender flares , saying I installed them , Had to point out they were factory installed and then they got fixed under warranty.
Trike, the flares were on the truck when I bought it from the dealer. I don't know if the dealer added it or not, but does that really matter? The truck is a 2021, so brand new... The flares started separating a week after purchase, but I decide to wait till my first oil change to get it addressed.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Trike, the flares were on the truck when I bought it from the dealer. I don't know if the dealer added it or not, but does that really matter? The truck is a 2021, so brand new... The flares started separating a week after purchase, but I decide to wait till my first oil change to get it addressed.
If they are Factory Flares then it under warranty that's Bumper to bumper. As long as you did not damage them it under warranty.

Now I added flares to mine and there crappy two sided tape doesn't hold well. I had to remove the flares and remove and install a better molding tape.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Totally agree. Most of the things that are not 'stock' are put on by the dealer...... rock sliders, rear tire carriers for ZR2, nerf bars, roll bars, etc etc. They are 100% covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Im again having this issue. a few years a go i posted on this thread about me having to fix them.. lo and behold, its happening again..... at least i got 3 years out of them before they started to peel off again haha.... doesn't help that im gonna have to remove them to take the bumper off for my supercharger and hid conversions...
when i do add those im gonna again have to get new flairs.. (at-least they will be black again too. damn you sun and car wax!!) and im gonna get them installed again at my body-shop, or myself... I really wish GM thought of a better way to install them, or to hold them on....

·
Registered
411 Posts
My old colorado had a xenon body kit that was held on withdouble sided body tape so I'm pretty familiar with having to deal with tape issues. No matter what you do it won't hold on forever... But if you prep the surface properly and conform the pieces with heat to make sure there are no stress points where the piecesits off the surface it should last for a long time. My issues is the dealership is stating it's not covered under warranty. If that is the case I will take back the money I paid for the extended warranty in a heartbeat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts