Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
What does the oils pressure look like on 10-40? I have seen high 70s during warm up on 5-40.
Hot Idle oil pressure is 20-22 psi. 1750 rpm is 45-47. Delvac ESP 5w40 is a little lower. Max is in the 70s but I believe the oil pressure starts to open at that pressure so you won’t see anything higher.

Worth noting, the Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 5W-40 oil has a sulphated ash content of 1%. The Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 oil (Dexos 2 approved) has a sulphated ash content of 0.8%, which is 20% less.

It seems like running the lower ash content, plus knowing you are staying with the GM recommendation for Dexos 2 means the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 might be a better choice for the LWN. Even if you feel strongly that you want a full synthetic 40 weight oil, there is a Dexos 2 approved option.
No $h!t Sherlock Holmes. All CJ-4 and CK-4 oils have an ash value of 1.0%. They are modern HD oils designed for extended drain intervals and be compatible with DPF, DOC and SCR systems.

The Dexos 2 0w40, like all 0w40s are very light. They are only marginal low density 40w oils and the Mobil version has essentially the same HTHS as the 5w30. A HD 10w30 will still have a higher HTHS and provide a thicker oil film than the 0w40 mentioned above.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I can tell you the GM engineers probably designed that engine completely around the 3.5 HTHS oil. That Delvac 3.8 HTHS is about one grade step thicker. I would not go a whole lot thicker than that, running an oil that is a lot thicker than expected can cause failures.
Thanks for the reply. Agreed on the hths.

regarding the quote, I always used this philosophy until this motor, when IMO saw oil related issues. Then it’s cousin the 3.0 gets fca saying F that, and jumping straight to 5w40 t6 which is a mile away from original 5w30 d2 that it left the assembly with

·
Registered
2021 Colorado 2.8L Diesel Z71
302 Posts
No $h!t Sherlock Holmes. All CJ-4 and CK-4 oils have an ash value of 1.0%. They are modern HD oils designed for extended drain intervals and be compatible with DPF, DOC and SCR systems.
They have a sulphated ash content of 1.0% or less. My point is that 0.8% is a significantly different amount of ash as compared to 1.0%. It is a 20% difference. Sometimes people lose sight of % difference when comparing two smallish numbers, but the difference still can be significant.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I can tell you the GM engineers probably designed that engine completely around the 3.5 HTHS oil. That Delvac 3.8 HTHS is about one grade step thicker. I would not go a whole lot thicker than that, running an oil that is a lot thicker than expected can cause failures.
That’s not true. The 2.8 is a global engine, you see in other countries a wider range of “recommended” oil viscosities based on ambient operating temperatures. It’s only in NA that you see the vary narrow recommendation of what is acceptable primarily based on CAFE targets and EPA regulations.

·
Registered
367 Posts
They have a sulphated ash content of 1.0% or less. My point is that 0.8% is a significantly different amount of ash as compared to 1.0%. It is a 20% difference. Sometimes people lose sight of % difference when comparing two smallish numbers, but the difference still can be significant.
Its only significant if you have an oil consumption problem. My truck doesn’t burn oil and I never have to add anything so I’m not overly concerned about a theoretically reduced service life from ash that isn’t making its way into the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can't really chime in much on what to use in a 2.8 yet. But I can say if this Motul 8100 is like anything like the stuff I have been running in my motorcycles and lawn equipment for over 10 years now. It is nothing short of the best stuff I have ever poured into an engine.

·
Registered
302 Posts
This thread really made me look at the various options and consider the oil recommendations for the LWN globally. To be honest, I think it might be hard to beat the Mobil One Delvac ESP 5W-40 as far as an oil that will meet original specs, increase engine protection levels, and not be much of a risk to the ATS. Lower ash would be nice, but 1.0% is not unreasonable and the rest of the specs look nice. I wish it was easier to find NOACK data for these oils.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
FCA has never publicly stated why they changed the spec to 5w40 on the EcoDiesel. I can say that the soot theory isn’t backed up by any evidence nor have I seen any UOAs that show excessive soot on an ED. These trucks run hot, and in addition to the viscosity change they also implemented a transmission reprogram to limit “lugging”. Hot, thin 5w30 oil and early shifting to boost fuel economy may have contributed to the many thousands of main and rod bearing failures in these trucks. That and the many oil cooler failures which allow coolant to contaminate the oil.
I wouldn't expect a manufacturer to explicitly state why they made such a major change, but I've seen the evidence and so have many others. There were a number of EcoDiesels that were generating more soot than the oil could handle during the maintenance interval and the soot was causing the oil to form sludge which ended up clogging oil passages and causing the spun bearings and crankshaft failures. Has nothing to do with heat or oil temperature here or the oil shearing down and being unable to provide sufficient lubrication. If it were simply viscosity then FCA could've spec'd a 5w-40 ACEA C3 oil, but they didn't. They changed to a completely different oil spec that handles diesel soot and other byproducts better.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I wouldn't expect a manufacturer to explicitly state why they made such a major change, but I've seen the evidence and so have many others. There were a number of EcoDiesels that were generating more soot than the oil could handle during the maintenance interval and the soot was causing the oil to form sludge which ended up clogging oil passages and causing the spun bearings and crankshaft failures. Has nothing to do with heat or oil temperature here or the oil shearing down and being unable to provide sufficient lubrication. If it were simply viscosity then FCA could've spec'd a 5w-40 ACEA C3 oil, but they didn't. They changed to a completely different oil spec that handles diesel soot and other byproducts better.
C3 5w40s are thin, they are like a 0w40. Most have an HTHS of 3.6-3.7. HDEO 5w40 HTHS start at 3.8 and can be close to 5.0 cP on some formulas. Big difference.

Sludge is the result of oxidation, not soot. Soot causes thickening of the oil when the quantity of soot overwhelms the dispersants ability to keep it in suspension. This usually happens when soot gets higher than 5%.

I’ve never seen any EcoDiesel UOA that had any significant quantity of soot. It’s also unlikely as that engine has a very large oil sump for its displacement.

I’ve researched this topic extensively as I considered buying and ED at one time, the soot theory never came up in any of my research.

·
Registered
367 Posts
This thread really made me look at the various options and consider the oil recommendations for the LWN globally. To be honest, I think it might be hard to beat the Mobil One Delvac ESP 5W-40 as far as an oil that will meet original specs, increase engine protection levels, and not be much of a risk to the ATS. Lower ash would be nice, but 1.0% is not unreasonable and the rest of the specs look nice. I wish it was easier to find NOACK data for these oils.
Considering the current sale price of D1 ESP it is the best option for $9 a gallon.

I would guess NOACK on D1 is 10% or less. D1 does have some grp IV and V base oils, the ingredients list is impressive from an of the shelf domestic product. Rotella T6 was tested to be almost 13% which is high, and lacks the exotic ingredients.

With that said there are some 5w40 HDEOs available with NOACK of 8-9% but there a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The 2.8 is a global engine, you see in other countries a wider range of “recommended” oil viscosities based on ambient operating temperatures. It’s only in NA that you see the vary narrow recommendation of what is acceptable primarily based on CAFE targets and EPA regulations.
Do you have any examples of this? I looked at manuals for the Holden Colorado with the XLD28 engine (the earlier, global version of the LWN) and they all seem to call for use of 5W-30 Dexos2 oil. I can't find any manuals for the XLD engine that call for anything different, but I might not know all of the possible applications and markets.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Do you have any examples of this? I looked at manuals for the Holden Colorado with the XLD28 engine (the earlier, global version of the LWN) and they all seem to call for use of 5W-30 Dexos2 oil. I can't find any manuals for the XLD engine that call for anything different, but I might not know all of the possible applications and markets.
No it was many years ago. What I saw was a picture of an owners manual from another country, it was either the 2.5 or 2.8 Duramax and had different recommended viscosities based on temps. It was on a forum. Sorry didn’t save the location.

·
Registered
406 Posts
When FCA changed their oil recommendation for the Eco Diesels to a 5w-40 I'm not sure it was ever stated that the C3 5w-30 was exclusively the problem. There were still some ED's that screwed the pooch with 5w-40. Some say the issue was the engines were lugging due to the tranny shifting points controlled by the TCM. FCA did reprogram the TCM as well as make the new oil recommendation.

I like to run 5w-40 in mine, however I did fine a deal on some M1 ESP 5w-30 that I could not pass up. Basically it's the same HTHS, around 3.6, as most 5w-40's, but with a slightly lower kinematic viscosity. So for the next three OC's I'll run the ESP 5w-30 without any concerns. After that, I'll be at around 75,000 miles and at that point switch to Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40. That oil can be found anywhere, including WalMArt, Advance, AutoZone, etc.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Take a look at the Jeep 2.8 CRD oil recommendations, the pre-DPF 2.8 recommends 5w-40 or 10w40, when the DPF was added the recommendation was changed to 5w-30. The 2.8 CRD is the VMM A428 which is what our Duramax is based on.

Castrol lists 5w-40 dexos2 for the Holden Colorado - Castrol oils and lubricants for your HOLDEN Colorado 7 RG 4x4, 2.8 Litre Turbo Diesel. (2012-2017)

Any quality diesel oil with the correct viscosity for your climate should be just fine, if you're concerned about your warranty then stick with a dexos2 or ACEA C3 oil.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
It's a CK-4, (also meets ACEA E9) Per spec sulphated ash is <= 1%
I would also recommend Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 as an option. I can get it locally for $21/gal, Mobil 1 TDT is $33/gal at Advance and $24/gal when Walmart has it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Take a look at the Jeep 2.8 CRD oil recommendations, the pre-DPF 2.8 recommends 5w-40 or 10w40, when the DPF was added the recommendation was changed to 5w-30. The 2.8 CRD is the VMM A428 which is what our Duramax is based on.
That "based on" is carrying a lot of water though. I worked directly on a project with the VM Motori 2.8L engine in 2001 and I've been to their plant in Cento several times. You can kinda-sorta see the VM pedigree in the LWN, but the engines don't share a single part.

I'm not sure the Jeep 2.8 CRD would even be very close to the LWN, including the fact that the emissions rules in 2005-2007 were completely different.

So there isn't much comparison from those engines that I would put stock in. I would say that the GM XLD28 and LWN engines at the least are likely very close to each other (the LWN is essentially a US compliant version of the XLD).

Any quality diesel oil with the correct viscosity for your climate should be just fine, if you're concerned about your warranty then stick with a dexos2 or ACEA C3 oil.
Things I've been wondering about. Why did GM depart from using CJ and then CK oils in the LWN? If it was fuel consumption driven, why not use FA-4?

I guess what I'm asking is, why did GM go down the path of creating the Dexos2 label?

Final thought, the more I look at these oils the more I realize the viscosity label on the jug (5W-30, 0W-40) is nearly meaningless. I can find 5W-30 spec oils that are thicker at high temperature than 0W-40s. I's say the starting place for the LWN is to look at the listed parameters of the AC Delco 5W-30 Dexos2. That at least was what they used in development. From there one can decide if a candidate oil is thicker or thinner at 40C, 100C, and 150C, which is about the only data universally available.

41 - 60 of 117 Posts