Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
From what I have read, in Australia, this same Colorado truck, same 2.8L engine, comes from the factory with 5W40 Dexos2 in it, not 5W30. The hotter climate over there makes you say “hmmmm.....”

·
Registered
24 Posts
And yet you've installed a K&N air filter that allows tons more dirt into your engine and provides no benefits. :LOL: I'm dead.
Not trying to start a pissing contest, but ive ran K&N's for years in a many different vehicles with no issues. I dont over oil and they get cleaned with every oil change. To each there own.

·
Registered
24 Posts
LOL. "I don't trust the people who built and warranty my truck."
When they are doing it to squeeze out .5 extra mpg instead of protecting an engine yes i don;t trust it. But thats just my truck, anyone else can do what they wish.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When they are doing it to squeeze out .5 extra mpg instead of protecting an engine yes i don;t trust it. But thats just my truck, anyone else can do what they wish.
Or it could be the tolerances are much tighter and need a lighter overall viscosity to reach the parts correctly, Manufacturers don't just make up oil standards and recommendations. I am not saying they do it all right, but with oil, its not a conspiracy to damage your engine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Or it could be the tolerances are much tighter and need a lighter overall viscosity to reach the parts correctly, Manufacturers don't just make up oil standards and recommendations. I am not saying they do it all right, but with oil, its not a conspiracy to damage your engine.
I dont disagree with what you are saying at all, but I look at what happened to the Ecodiesel in the ram when they called for a 30 weight oil. Now FCA calls for a 40 weight. Again just my opinion, but 16.5:1 compression on a 30 weight just doesn't scream longevity to me.

I am fully prepared to stick my foot in my mouth if I end up having issues caused by rotella or running a k&n, but until then im going off of my past experiences with both where ive had great success, and im just sharing my opinion. Im not one of those guys on forums who thinks their way is the only way.

Reactions: jmasse

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Not trying to start a pissing contest, but ive ran K&N's for years in a many different vehicles with no issues. I dont over oil and they get cleaned with every oil change. To each there own.
Overoiling isn't the problem and excessive cleaning actually makes the problem worse, the filters are absolute trash because they filter like swiss cheese. No matter how you slice it, it's ironic that you don't trust the factory oil spec but run a K&N. No pissing contest, just facts.

·
Registered
2021 Colorado 2.8L Diesel Z71
302 Posts
Just FYI, a clean filter works worse than a dirty filter. Filters work best right before changeout.

Designing engines, filtration is more important than restriction, especially on a diesel.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I dont disagree with what you are saying at all, but I look at what happened to the Ecodiesel in the ram when they called for a 30 weight oil. Now FCA calls for a 40 weight. Again just my opinion, but 16.5:1 compression on a 30 weight just doesn't scream longevity to me.

I am fully prepared to stick my foot in my mouth if I end up having issues caused by rotella or running a k&n, but until then im going off of my past experiences with both where ive had great success, and im just sharing my opinion. Im not one of those guys on forums who thinks their way is the only way.
The EcoDiesel switch was to a CJ-4/CK-4 oil in 5w40 (original spec was an ACEA C3 oil), it wasn't the viscosity change itself that had anything to do with fixing the failures, it was the switch to a proper diesel oil that is better able to handle soot that addressed the problem. The switch to 5w40 was just out of convenience since that is readily available and usable year-round in various climates.

There has been zero evidence that 5w30 with the 2.8 causes any longevity issues and there are multiple trucks out there with well over 100k miles with no problems. That said, I also run 5w40 but my truck gets a work out pretty regularly. If it were just a daily driver that didn't do regular towing or off-roading then I'd have no problem running 5w30.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The EcoDiesel switch was to a CJ-4/CK-4 oil in 5w40 (original spec was an ACEA C3 oil), it wasn't the viscosity change itself that had anything to do with fixing the failures, it was the switch to a proper diesel oil that is better able to handle soot that addressed the problem. The switch to 5w40 was just out of convenience since that is readily available and usable year-round in various climates.

There has been zero evidence that 5w30 with the 2.8 causes any longevity issues and there are multiple trucks out there with well over 100k miles with no problems. That said, I also run 5w40 but my truck gets a work out pretty regularly. If it were just a daily driver that didn't do regular towing or off-roading then I'd have no problem running 5w30.
Thats also the reason i switched to 5w-40, long trips, lots of offroading and towing a 4000lb trailer regularly. I can see 5w-30 being ok for daily driving, but i bought a diesel truck to use it as a diesel truck, not a commuter.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yup, well over 138k here, i live in reno and truckee and palm springs. Extreme heat, extreme cold, elevation, rough service carrying a camper throughout. Diesel truck does just as much off roady things as long roadtrip things. Used 5w30 the whole time, 95% of the time motul 8100 xfe dexos 2 x clean gt stx gti....stupid long name and many xclean 8100 out there. I think oil quality can be more important than viscosity.

Reactions: splitting_lanes

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been ordering oil change kits from ID Parts for many years. I have used Rowe and Total INEO 5w30 (both Dexos 2) with no problems whatsoever on two different vehicles for a combined total of over 100,000 miles. ID Parts' prices are great, and the kits come with everything you need. Highly recommend them.

·
Registered
367 Posts
A low efficiency air filter, like a K&N on a diesel does nothing but allow dirt into the engine. There is no performance improvement as diesels are fuel limited by design. Get rid of it or sell used on eBay it to another sucker and put the OE filter back in.

It’s all about CAFE standards and EPA fines. A 5w30 at 75 degrees F is thicker than a 20w50 at 212 F. If your theory was correct the oil wouldn’t reach the critical parts “correctly” when the oil is cold. I run 10w40 CJ-4 in my 2.8 and always have lower wear numbers than with 5w30 Dexos 2 so it appears to work just fine if not better than OE spec.

FCA has never publicly stated why they changed the spec to 5w40 on the EcoDiesel. I can say that the soot theory isn’t backed up by any evidence nor have I seen any UOAs that show excessive soot on an ED. These trucks run hot, and in addition to the viscosity change they also implemented a transmission reprogram to limit “lugging”. Hot, thin 5w30 oil and early shifting to boost fuel economy may have contributed to the many thousands of main and rod bearing failures in these trucks. That and the many oil cooler failures which allow coolant to contaminate the oil.

FYI Napa auto parts has Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 5w40 on sale for $19.99 a gallon. It is eligible for the current Delvac rebate as well which brings the price down to $9/gallon. And yes I have run Delvac ESP in my 2.8 and it was excellent. The best HD oil available from a major manufacturer IMO.

·
Registered
302 Posts
FYI Napa auto parts has Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 5w40 on sale for $19.99 a gallon. It is eligible for the current Delvac rebate as well which brings the price down to $9/gallon. And yes I have run Delvac ESP in my 2.8 and it was excellent. The best HD oil available from a major manufacturer IMO.
Worth noting, the Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 5W-40 oil has a sulphated ash content of 1%. The Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 oil (Dexos 2 approved) has a sulphated ash content of 0.8%, which is 20% less.

It seems like running the lower ash content, plus knowing you are staying with the GM recommendation for Dexos 2 means the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 might be a better choice for the LWN. Even if you feel strongly that you want a full synthetic 40 weight oil, there is a Dexos 2 approved option.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I like oils with the 1.0 ash. My motor didn’t burn any oil. Didn’t notice any difference in regen mileage. Yes 20% more is always hitting the dpf with 20% more which could translate to 20% less life, but you’re going to have to replace it anyway. The delvac and rotellas(even Arctic 0w40) with 1.0 ash seem much more heavy duty and IMO the motor could use it

·
Registered
152 Posts
FCA has never publicly stated why they changed the spec to 5w40 on the EcoDiesel. I can say that the soot theory isn’t backed up by any evidence nor have I seen any UOAs that show excessive soot on an ED. These trucks run hot, and in addition to the viscosity change they also implemented a transmission reprogram to limit “lugging”. Hot, thin 5w30 oil and early shifting to boost fuel economy may have contributed to the many thousands of main and rod bearing failures in these trucks. That and the many oil cooler failures which allow coolant to contaminate the oil.
My understanding and interpretation as well

·
Registered
302 Posts
Didn’t notice any difference in regen mileage.
You wouldn't. Regenerations happen to burn off soot, so your interval is largely going to be driven by your driving style and use cases. As the filter loads up with ash (which it cannot burn) the regeneration intervals will start to shorten. But that's something that happens over the long haul.

Yes 20% more is always hitting the dpf with 20% more which could translate to 20% less life, but you’re going to have to replace it anyway. The delvac and rotellas(even Arctic 0w40) with 1.0 ash seem much more heavy duty and IMO the motor could use it
Either oil is probably fine, really. So this doesn't have to be beaten to death. Just, IMO most modern engines don't run into wearout issues nearly so often as vehicles have other major issues with systems like emissions controls, electronics etc.

Everyone thinks about wearout but I would focus on that DPF a bit more. Wearout is unlikely but as an engineer with DPF experience I can tell you that ash loading is inevitable. Whatever plagues are coming for your DPF like ash loaded behavior driving frequent regens, those will come 20% sooner with 1% oil vs. 0.8%. So if you were going to need a new DPF at 120,000 miles you might shorten that to 96,000 miles. That's a difference, but not unreasonable (like running a CI-4 would be, for example.)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Good points. That’s makes sense on the loading so it mostly translates to shorter life.

Does ash effect the scr?

would those delvacs and rotella t6 5w40 oils protect the bearings in anyway from getting beaten up? Like from low rpm high loads?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good conversation here.

I just want to add, that Chevron Delo offers a (relatively) new Delo 600 ADF 10W30 & 15W40 heavy duty engine oil. The big attraction of it is a sulfated ash level of only 0.4% - as compared to the 0.8% found in Dexos2 oils, and 1.0% in traditional Diesel Engine oils. On paper, this looks like a “win/win” to me regarding DPF and engine longevity.

Delo 600 comes in gallon jugs (and drums) from your local Chevron or Havoline distributor. My local distributor quoted me about $20/ gallon. I haven’t purchased it yet, but that 10W30 is my next “go to” oil after my current stash is used up.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Does ash effect the scr?
In HD diesel engines, the SCR is always downstream of the DPF, so the DPF is catching most of the oil-sourced ash. So I guess I don't know on a passcar engine like the LWN.

What I do know is that SCR catalysts are very prone to poisoning and we do find stuff on them that can get through the DPF. There are things we have always suspected like sulfur, and things we hadn't like sodium and potassium. One possible source of these metals is in the fuel, because the engine burns so much fuel (as compared to how much oil it burns) that even tiny contaminants add up. Some are also pointing fingers at biofuels as a source, but this is in dispute.

would those delvacs and rotella t6 5w40 oils protect the bearings in anyway from getting beaten up? Like from low rpm high loads?
We mostly talk about HTHS in terms of oil viscosity. And I'm not 100% clear on why this is the case (I am not my company's oil expert) but the labelled viscosity doesn't always line up with the HTHS. In fact, even the viscosity range (0W-40) doesn't seem to line up with the 40C and 100C viscosity numbers very well.

For example, the AC Delco 5W-30 oil specc'd for the LWN is 40C - 69.6 cSt, 100C - 12 cSt, and 150C HTHS - 3.5.
The Mobil One ESP 0W-40 is 40C - 69 cSt, 100C - 12.9 cSt, 150C HTHS - 3.53. So.......a 0W-40 that is essentially the same as the Delco 5W-30.

The Mobil One Delvac 0W-40 is 40C - 90 cSt, 100C - 14.6 cSt, 150C HTHS - 4.1
Mobil One Delvac 5W-40 is 40C - 84 cSt, 100C - 13.8 cSt. 150C HTHS 3.8

So the Delvac oils are a lot thicker than the Delco or ESP, even at the same viscosity range. and the Delvac 5W-40 is thinner at 40C than the Delvac 0W-40, which is interesting. And none of this data tells us what the oil shears down to (and how fast) in normal use.

Anyway......over time oils have been thinning out. Engineers have changed materials, changed tolerances to use thinner oils. Whenever we revise our oil specification for a thinner oil, everthing is looked at......pump size, rings, pins, bearings, cam followers.....everything. The component engineers tell me that once they have designed for whatever oil they require, there isn't an advantage to going back to a thicker oil (which they do test, because a lot of fleets are just like a lot of the people on this forum and run what they feel is 'best'). Plus a lot of fleets are mixed and so they won't stock a bunch of different oils.

I can tell you the GM engineers probably designed that engine completely around the 3.5 HTHS oil. That Delvac 3.8 HTHS is about one grade step thicker. I would not go a whole lot thicker than that, running an oil that is a lot thicker than expected can cause failures.

21 - 40 of 117 Posts