Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Duramax
156 Posts
Castrol, only because of availability, but my local parts store said they are getting Mobil 1 Dexos 2, so I may be switching.

·
Registered
108 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Pennzoil Euro L . The only on the shelf Dexos 2 I've seen. Cheap too.

Reactions: boot_sector

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rotella t6 5w-40. I dont care what GM says I don't trust a 30 weight oil in a diesel.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Rotella t6 5w-40. I dont care what GM says I don't trust a 30 weight oil in a diesel.
And yet you've installed a K&N air filter that allows tons more dirt into your engine and provides no benefits. :LOL: I'm dead.

·
Registered
2021 Colorado 2.8L Diesel Z71
302 Posts
And yet you've installed a K&N air filter that allows tons more dirt into your engine and provides no benefits. :LOL: I'm dead.
Extra dirt polished off the rough parts, keeps everything shiny.

I do believe that 0W-40 Dexos 2 oil is approved for the LWN. Mobil One makes one. That's a better choice than Rotella which is not approved for the LWN.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Extra dirt polished off the rough parts, keeps everything shiny.

I do believe that 0W-40 Dexos 2 oil is approved for the LWN. Mobil One makes one. That's a better choice than Rotella which is not approved for the LWN.
I'm currently running the 0w-40 Mobil 1 ESP, but I've also run various proper HDEOs (Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40, Valvoline Premium Blue 5w-40) and my recent oil analysis was actually done after roughly 7,800 miles on Valvoline Premium Blue 5w-40 CK-4 that oil change, the report showed it looked better than other LWNs with fewer miles on different oil. So yes, the HDEOs aren't approved but they work very well, likely even better than the dexos2/ACEA C3 spec, and 5w-40 is also OK to use as the full range of viscosity ratings allowed covers it. 0w-40 and 5w-30 being listed means that 5w-40 also falls into the range and there is even 5w-40 dexos2 oil.

Next oil change I'll likely switch to Rotella T6 5w-40 since that is the oil my wife's EcoDiesel uses and it'll be much easier to just buy 2.5 and 1 gallon jugs of the stuff to do both oil changes.

Of course, if there are any warranty concerns then stick with a dexos2 oil like the Mobil 1 0w-40 mentioned if someone doesn't think 5w-30 is sufficient.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Motul x clean xfe, 5w30, easy to get from summit or amazon, 9$ quart, or 5L jug, been running it since my two free oil changes were up, 138k now.
the delco oil is up to $16 in my area, silly. I heard its a mobil product, not sure which

·
Registered
671 Posts
ACDELCO 109129 {#19354306} Dexos2; Full Synthetic; SAE 5W-30; 1 Quart $7.24
^^^I get this from Rockauto, same place I order my filters from, all AcD stuff

Else... Pennzoil Plat Euro L 5w30 Dexos 2 ...but have had trouble with leaky caps in shipping as also noted above.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Started out withPenzoil Euro L then switched to the Valvoline 5W-40 Dexos II, since the Valvoline lost their Dexos rating I switched to Amile 5W-40 Dexos II. I have enogh Amile for two more oil changes. No complaints with the Amile, the truck runs great.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Of course, if there are any warranty concerns then stick with a dexos2 oil like the Mobil 1 0w-40 mentioned if someone doesn't think 5w-30 is sufficient.
Sorry for the dumb question, I'm pretty sure its been answered.... but I'm too lazy to search...

Besides possible warranty issues are there consequences using a non-Dexos2 oil? You guys using Rotella seem to know what you're talking about..

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Sorry for the dumb question, I'm pretty sure its been answered.... but I'm too lazy to search...

Besides possible warranty issues are there consequences using a non-Dexos2 oil? You guys using Rotella seem to know what you're talking about..
It depends on the non-dexos2 oil. If you use a gasoline-only oil then you could be in a world of hurt over time because those oils don't have the additives to deal with soot and will turn to sludge. So, more specifically, if you use a non-dexos2 diesel oil, like a "proper" CJ-4/CK-4 5w30 or 5w40 diesel oil, there are really no consequences to worry about. As long as they're low SAPS with ash <= 1% then you won't have to worry about the DPF having a shorter life due to ash loading.

I find FCA's handling of the early EcoDiesel engine failures (sludge causing bearing and crankshaft failures) to be pretty telling as well. Initially, the EcoDiesel called for an ACEA C3 oil in 5w30, which is the exact same oil that GM calls for. Every dexos2 oil will also meet ACEA C3 specs and the owner's manual says that if a dexos2 oil isn't available then ACEA C3 oil is fine. So, after random EcoDiesel engine failures and issues with sludge were documented, FCA changed the oil spec to a 5w40 HDEO (Heavy-Duty Engine Oil) with the CJ-4 (now CK-4 supersedes CJ-4) spec because it handles soot better and the 5w40 provides a little extra cushion for the bearings in theory. If there were nothing wrong with the ACEA C3 spec and the viscosity were the issue (low viscosity doesn't cause sludge) then they could've spec'd a 5w40 ACEA C3 oil since those do exist, but they changed the oil requirement completely and that took care of the issues.

That should tell you right off the bat that there's really no problem using a proper diesel oil with these engines and that it should actually protect the engine better than the dexos2/ACEA C3 gas/light-duty diesel oil GM recommends. On the off chance that someone DOES suffer catastrophic engine failure (Which has been posted about in the past but I haven't heard of any in a while) and GM sees they weren't using the "correct" oil it would be relatively easy for them to deny the warranty claim based on that. It would be illegal in the US, but that wouldn't stop them from doing it because they are banking on owners not being willing or able to fight them in court for violating the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Oil analysis also backs up that a good diesel oil protects better. You can see my recent results here - Diesel oil analysis thread - and that was using Valvoline Premium Blue 5w40 CK-4 diesel oil.

Reactions: 93Duc and Vinolush

·
Registered
18 Posts
Been using Motul Xclean 8100 5w40 the last 5 oil changes. I like it but when extended warranty is out thinking of trying Rotell t6 5w40.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been using (the now discontinued) Ravenol REP 5W30 in my ‘16 model truck. I bought 3 - 5L jugs of it for about $100 at the clearance sale.

I preferred it over the previous runs of Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 because: 1) It passed my unscientific ear test (noticeably quieter and smoother at idle 2) Still a Dexos2 oil for warranty purposes (I kept my truck stock to pass the local emissions testing) and 3) It is formulated more like a 5W40 than a 5W30. ( 3.7 HTHS, BMW & MB approvals, PAO based).

One more unopened Ravenol jug left. All this talk about broken wrist pins, causing a flying piston to put a hole in the block, makes me want to use a 5W40, not a thin 5W30 in these “fragile“ engines, going forward. I was communicating with one owner who‘s truck had this happen with 122,000 miles on it, and another with 19,000 miles on his. Both with dealer supplied 5W30 oil. The 2nd owner was under warranty and got a replacement engine. The first owner’s truck has been sitting in the driveway, disabled. Could be a maintenance problem, could be a design problem, could be a quality issue - who knows?

On the other hand, when I read about Canadian owners putting 185,000 kms on his stock truck using nothing but Motul 5W40 Dexos2, this may be the way go. (Same truck is at 240,000 kms now deleted, with a new owner). If not Motul, I’ll be using Rotella 5W40 going forward.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts