Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been a great four (and almost a half!) years, but I had to trade in my 2015. I purchased a black 2015 long bed, crew cab Z71 back in October of 2014, the first week they hit the showroom floor in my area after drooling over them for months. Since then I put almost 150,000 miles on it, and truly enjoyed the great truck! I traded it in this week for a slightly used 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport R/T, standard cab, and it's a huge step up in terms of power, options, and intuitiveness of controls and features, including the electronic/integrated management system (except you have to pay for the darn remote management software through a Sirius Guardian subscription...). By the way, even with the miles and generally well used shape I got a trade in value that exceeded my expectations!

Over the past 4 years I've taken the truck all over the country, with numerous long distance trips for work and a hefty daily commute of up to 120 miles. I've towed things I shouldn't have, put way to much weight in the back, drove it into places that I didn't have any right to get out of, pulled cars/trucks out of ditches on snowy days, and in general beat the crap out of it. It never failed me! I did minor mods including bigger tires and a tune (at 5,000 miles installed a trifecta tune, great move!), but for the most part left it as is. I had a lifetime fuel mileage of about 18-19, but could get 22-24 if I tried on the highway. I changed the oil at the normal intervals governed by my oil life indicator (usually valvoline full syn 5w-30), changed the diff and transmission fluid out at the recommended intervals, and pretty much kept up with maintenance.

The interior weathered things extremely well. The Z71 seats for me at least were uber comfortable, and I never had issues on drives of over 12-14 hours, and always liked them. The Z71 had the leatherette bolsters with tough gray/textured material in the middle, and I'm a hefty guy (6'2" and 300 pounds). The seats front and back, including drivers seat, looked new when I turned it in. I quickly installed full sized weathertech floor mats, so the carpet and rest of the interior looked great.

The exterior did take a pounding though. The paint quality on my truck at least was awful! I guess it's the water based paint being used these days, but there was noticeable 'orange peel', it chipped easily, and man I wish I'd gotten real mud flaps because the sides, especially in front of the rear wheel wells were really chewed up by rocks.

Suspension, undercarriage, and the mechanicals on the truck was great. Never had any problems, the 4x4 worked awesome in the snow and mud (I regularly used it on my property/hobby farm doing nasty chores), and I never got stuck. I only had one mechanical failure, the alternator went out around 120K, and I replaced it myself (darn GM used a new model too, it's expensive...). I only took the truck to the dealer 2 times during my ownership, once to handle a bunch of recalls, and a second time when I got the transmission fluid changed. I changed the spark plugs a few weeks ago, way overdue, and they actually looked like they could go on for a while longer with some browning on the insulator, but manageable wear. I changed the brakes at about 120k also, but there was still a lot of wear left on them! When I traded it in I did have problems with the climate control system, my dampener/air mix door is obviously out of whack and I never took it in to get it fixed (under a recall), I just had to turn the heat up to 86 to be comfortable. I went through three sets of tires after changing out the awful factory ones, and ended up really liking/sticking with Michelins, they worked best and lasted longest.

Overall, the Colorado was a fantastic truck and I am glad to have owned it! I used to be really active on the forum but dropped off after a few years, wanted to say thanks for all of the great information, and give some hope and information to those who want to know how these trucks hold up over the long haul.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thank you! I have had my 2019 Z71 4X4 for 4 weeks. First Chevy. I really appreciate that you took the time to provide so much information. You succeeded my friend in providing hope and information to a real novice. Happy trails. Good luck to you. All the best!

·
Super Moderator
4,178 Posts
Congrats on the new truck. The standard cabs look tough!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Nice write up and telling it like it is. You got good service out of it as it should be in the last 4 years.
You actually utilized the vehicle as GM intended it to be.......as a truck!.....lol
Thanks for sharing your experience with the group.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts