Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search, no hits. Truck is a 2015 Colorado LT crewcab, short bed. I did not order the trailer package. However, the truck has a factory installed trailer hitch. It is the bumper mount style, with the below the bumper bracing. I plan to install an aftermarket hitch ( class II?) to haul bicycles.I dont really need the wiring, but the hitch ( mfg by Curt) came with a wiring harness adapter. Can anyone tell me if this truck should have the 4 pin inline connector for the trailer wiring? If it does, where is it located?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did a search, no hits. Truck is a 2015 Colorado LT crewcab, short bed. I did not order the trailer package. However, the truck has a factory installed trailer hitch. It is the bumper mount style, with the below the bumper bracing. I plan to install an aftermarket hitch ( class II?) to haul bicycles.I dont really need the wiring, but the hitch ( mfg by Curt) came with a wiring harness adapter. Can anyone tell me if this truck should have the 4 pin inline connector for the trailer wiring? If it does, where is it located?
I also ordered a Curt hitch (13176) for my Z71 crew cab, short bed but I don't think it includes a harness adapter. According to Curt, they don't have one yet. As far as I can tell, there is a cable behind the hitch connector plate that has a bundle of 7 wires with no connector. Need to wire up a 7 and/or 4 pin connector and mount it on the plate. I suspect someone will soon come out with a kit to do that so I think I'll wait since I don't need the electrical yet for my bike rack and hitch mounted bed extender.

·
Registered
11,554 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
OK, it looks like there are 2 ways of wiring it. I think the Chevy accessory plugs into an existing tail light connector and provides a converter, probably to isolate the trailer lights from the tail lights.

The other way is to connect into the 7 wire harness that would be used with the trailering package if ordered. These wires already have isolating relays and don't need a converter. It appears that ShopChevyParts sells this harness and with the 4 and 7 pin connectors that mount to the plate. Even though you need to splice the 7 wires, this appears to be a much better solution that gives the same connections as the factory package.

By the way, to make things even more confusing, ShopChevyParts shows the part number as 23455107, which is the same as the Chevy harness adapter number. However, a reviewer said it is actually the 7/4 pin connector I talked about.

·
Registered
92 Posts
...By the way, to make things even more confusing, ShopChevyParts shows the part number as 23455107, which is the same as the Chevy harness adapter number. However, a reviewer said it is actually the 7/4 pin connector I talked about.
I just confirmed that the ShopChevyParts item is indeed the full 4/7 pin spliced harness and not the standard Chevy 4 pin accessory.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just confirmed that the ShopChevyParts item is indeed the full 4/7 pin spliced harness and not the standard Chevy 4 pin accessory.
Argh. Not to belabor this point, but it appears that the catalog and most sites may have the wrong photo and description of the part. Here is what the ShopChevyParts guy said:

"The pics are WRONG on the other websites. As I stated the pic on our website is the ACUTAL PART PIC. The parts on the other websites are of the 2007 and back harness for the Colorado/Canyon and so is the description. It is a GM issue."

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Argh. Not to belabor this point, but it appears that the catalog and most sites may have the wrong photo and description of the part. Here is what the ShopChevyParts guy said:

"The pics are WRONG on the other websites. As I stated the pic on our website is the ACUTAL PART PIC. The parts on the other websites are of the 2007 and back harness for the Colorado/Canyon and so is the description. It is a GM issue."
Here is the cable that was included with the hitch ( Curt p/n 55384).

CURT Manufacturing - CURT T-Connector #55384

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like that cable is to convert 7 pin to 4 pin, maybe on a Silverado. I ordered hitch 13176 and I don't think it comes with a cable. The cable I ordered provides both 4 and 7 pin just like the factory package.
I just checked under the bumper and there isnt a cable going to the back of the plastic housing. Guess I have an extra cable. Probably have to order the cable from ShopChevyParts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cant find correct Wiring harness for WT Colorado

Any help would be great, I have a Crew Cab WT 2 without the hitch which I'm ordering but I want to find the 4/7 pin that I can splice in and replace the empty black cover. I don't want to add a adapter for the harness but use the Black cover that to the left of the License plate. I looked at the one on SHOPCHEVY but there has to be another place to buy this right? I cant seem to find one and the correct part number seems hard to come by. I want to have the plug in harness with the standard 4 pin.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Please see attached from: gmwholesaleparts.com/online-catalog/ put in your info and in the next few boxes that show up select "I don't know show me everything".

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I found the trailer wiring harness and brake control harness instructions on page 9-64 of the owners manual.

Additional FYI. After further inspection of the trailer hitch installation, I found a bracket (part of the spare tire mount) that apparently connects to the bumper hitch is not attached to the Class III hitch. And there is not a provision for it either. So far no rattles from the loose bracket, but it can only be a matter of time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here is the factory correct wiring harness for the Colorado, (see the attached picture). I can't say if all the truck that come without a factory hitch are the same, but mine doesn't have a plug to plug the harness into and if I recall the chevy parts person was curious to know the harness I ordered included a plug, if memory serves me it was included. Guess I need to get busy and install it until waiting till I need to pull a trailer. I picked up some heat shrink butt connectors to splice the wire together.

Lastly, the harness is a 7/4 pin

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
If your truck does not have a factory trailer package,
There are 7 bare wires at the end of wiring harness.
They already have have isolating relays in place.
Hopkins HM-40975-11998 kit includes 4 and 7 prong plug,
and a 7 prong connector with long wire leads. etrailer.com $50.
Wiring colors do not match, so use the picture below.
If you didn't buy a trailer package, your truck comes with
a hidden bumper hitch already installed.
All you need is a hitch ball with an extra long shank.
2" ball, 1" diameter shank, with an extra long 3" thread length.
Attachments
Wiring Color Chart to connect Factory wiring to Hopkins connector.
Wiring installation picture.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts