Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried to find a fix for this on the internet and at this forum with no success so I took it apart and winged it, the leak appeared to be in the front passenger side however the seal was broken in the rear and water was traveling to the front and leaking through the headliner. There are no drain tubes in this model year I have an 06 I5 Z71

Step one was removing the sunroof where I found the thin gasket was deteriorated and broken.
2. was to remove the gasket with a flat head screwdriver since its all plastic be careful not to gouge the shallow channel or edges.
3. was to wipe the residual adhesive off with Goof off and then to go over it again with Isopropyl alcohol to remove the solvent residual.
4. and 5. was to adhere one side of the 3M molding tape to the sunroof leaving the backing on the other side and just peeling back the starting point so I could align the sunroof where it needed to be once in place I stripped the backing off and pressed it against the cab roof.
6. reassemble the sunroof from the interior once done the molding tape had provided a good seal all the way around the sunroof.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried to find a fix for this on the internet and at this forum with no success so I took it apart and winged it, the leak appeared to be in the front passenger side however the seal was broken in the rear and water was traveling to the front and leaking through the headliner. There are no drain tubes in this model year I have an 06 I5 Z71

Step one was removing the sunroof where I found the thin gasket was deteriorated and broken.
2. was to remove the gasket with a flat head screwdriver since its all plastic be careful not to gouge the shallow channel or edges.
3. was to wipe the residual adhesive off with Goof off and then to go over it again with Isopropyl alcohol to remove the solvent residual.
4. and 5. was to adhere one side of the 3M molding tape to the sunroof leaving the backing on the other side and just peeling back the starting point so I could align the sunroof where it needed to be once in place I stripped the backing off and pressed it against the cab roof.
6. reassemble the sunroof from the interior once done the molding tape had provided a good seal all the way around the sunroof.
I have a leak as well, but I could not figure out what you were doing exactly in your pic. 1. what were the steps you took too remove the sunroof. 2. What strip did you remove? I'm sorry but I'm lost and I have a 2006 GMC Canyon. Can you give more detail info? If not, I understand, I will keep looking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts