Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I had these added at the dealership:

They are advertised as "Off road side steps". I'm thinking the only thing off road about them is that the are not chrome and thus might hold up to the odd bang and bump a bit better.

My question is this: Will these perform any slider functionality at all, or will they fold as soon as I bump them?

Note that pic is on someone's Silverado. I have a 2017 Colorado z71

Tks

·
Registered
25 Posts
All I can say is that they were not meant to perform as rock sliders. Now the ZR2 sliders are actual sliders and meant for that. Like your side steps and others like the Nfab side steps, I'm sure they could handle some light abuse but could potentially get you hung up. If it were me I would either sell them and get real sliders or use and abuse these and see how the hold up and get a different setup later.

·
Vendor
630 Posts
Mine have taken a few hits. Here are some pics from a few months back. They've taken a few more since then, but its mostly surface. I dont actively try to use them as rock sliders, and hopefully replacing them soon with some chassis unlimited sliders, but for now they work. They're mounted to the body just like the ZR2 sliders are, but are made from a different material (not sure exactly what though).

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've got them too; definitely not sliders as the parts that stick out will catch on things. They mount to the body just like the ZR2 sliders but I haven't seen a ZR2 in the metal yet to determine if the ZR2 sliders use more fastening points that the side steps. I'm unlikely to do real rock crawling but I am interested to know if I can use the side steps for HiLifting so I've been wondering if there is a way to reinforce the current side steps by extending connection directly to the frame. It would need some way to flex to accommodate the current flex between the body and the frame. Maybe a custom HiLift tool?

Reactions: IceDiesel

·
Vendor
415 Posts
I'm unlikely to do real rock crawling but I am interested to know if I can use the side steps for HiLifting so I've been wondering if there is a way to reinforce the current side steps by extending connection directly to the frame.
These steps are off-road in name only and are not sufficient to lift the truck.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks Chris: I know this hence the question about making some sort of HiLift tool that connects back to the frame along the side of the body. I do wonder if any ZR2 owners have ever used their body-mounted sliders as a HiLift lifting point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.