Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[FONT=&quot]Hello everyone. Here is my write up for installing the Fab Four Vengeance bumpers on the 2016 Colorados.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
http://fabfours.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/WEB_NEW_IMAGE_VENG_COLO_ALC_TOPBLCK.jpg

[/FONT]
I chose the Fab Four design over the ADD Honeybadger as this was a complete unit, compared to the ADD one which requires you to cut your existing fascia at an exact precise straight line across the entire front. I just felt that 1 slip or false move and I would have ruined the whole job.

While Fab Four had very detailed directions, I saw some pictures on the ADD site that aided me as the Fab Four directions were not as clear. Collectively, they both left out what I felt were important things that needed to be discussed, thus my write up here.

The weight of the existing fascia and bumper was not more than 10 pounds, while the new bumper weighed in at 65 pounds.

Overall, the bumper itself took roughly 2 1/2 hours from start to finish. Nowhere on either site do they mention the inner fenders. It appears they removed them and painted the inner fender area to match the truck color, since the existing paint behind the inner fenders is a gun-metal primer.

But playing with and thinking of how to make the inner fenders took me a day or brain storming...... but once I knew what I wanted to do, and some trial and error with the mounting bracket for the inner fender-well, it took about an hour for the left side, then merely 15 minutes to do the passenger side.

Ok, so what tidbits of helpful info can I shed on this project:
When removing the grill from the fascia, there are 10 pressure clips, which can be easily released with your thumb. HOWEVER, the 2 in the middle did require me to use a cotter pin remover, which is nothing more than a bent over screwdriver -

The inner fenders just hand down, which naturally is unacceptable:

So, you had to remove a bracket when you removed the fascia. When you did, there is a welded nut on the crossmember:
All I did was use some bendable aluminum, like shown here: I drilled 1/4 holes and used the welded nut to attach it to the frame:
A little trial an error and a bend here and there and poof, that part was done. Then I needed to figure out how to secure it to the bumper. The honeycomb grill left enough room to use as an anchor point.

Now, we see where the inner fender sits in relation to the front of the bumper. I eyeballed where I felt it needed to be cut and where it would need to tuck up into the bumper:
Here are the actual pieces I cut off the driver's side (passenger side was the same)

After cutting the inner fender, I simply drilled 4 holes along the bottom and ty-rapped it to the lowest part of the honeycomb of the grill.
The next pet peeve was the lower splash shield of the truck.
Its rubber and hangs down just below the bumper and was annoying to look at. Not sure if my fix will stand the test of time but, I cleaned the surfaces of where it contacts the frame and put some heavy duty double faced 3M tape on it :
So far its holding up but after some rain and snow, either the tape holds or that shield is coming off. =)

Fab Four Vengeance Rear Bumper -
http://fabfours.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/WEB_NEW_IMAGE_PREM_COLO_REAR_TOPBLCK.jpg

So, starting in the rear. The total time was roughly 90 minutes from start to finish.
The bumper comes in a cloth-type of baggy, and that is wrapped with a thick styrofoam type of sheeting. I began by cutting some of the styrofoam and taping it to the corners of the truck in case I had a slip up.

I weighed the existing bumper and it came in at 35 pounds. The new one is documented to be 115 pounds but my scale put it at 110 with the 2 heavy duty brackets it came with. While the directions had me loosen the rear cross member (the towing one) there was absolutely no need to. This is as simple as can be. Disconnect the rear trailer wiring connection, separate the wiring from the bumper using a trim tool or screwdriver, , remove the 4 bumper bolts (21mm) and poof, off it comes. They have some detailed directions if you have trailer wiring, although I didn't have that option so I guess that saved me 15 minutes or so.
I HIGHLY recommend you have a 2nd person to help you left the new one on due to the weight and, the clearances on the side so you do not bang the sides of the truck.
Due to the thickness of this bumper (its easily twice as thick as the stock bumper) the trailer wiring adapter and the spare tire cover will not pop in and stay secure the way the stock ones did. I was going to contact Fab Four if it became an issue but some RTV silicone behind the bumper seems secure enough.
Ring for spare tire tube:
As you can see in this picture, trying to bend the tabs out to fit the new thickness will not work. It appears it is some sort of spring steel and all I accomplished was breaking off some of the tabs.
A handful of ty-raps to secure the existing wiring and you are good to go.

Ok, now I am sure you are going to ask if the added weight changed anything.
I measured the truck at all 4 wheel wells before and after both bumpers. I did not jack up the vehicle during this whole procedure as there was plenty of room to just slide under during this entire process. But here are the measurements.
Before After
Front left 34 5/8 34 1/2
Front right 34 3/4 34 5/8
Rear left 36 5/8 36 3/8
Rear right 36 7/8 36 3/4
So, while my driveway is slanted a little, the added weight barely dropped the vehicle 1/4 inch all around. In total, these bumpers added roughly 130 pounds to the vehicle.

Phew, well, there it is, my 1st write up. As I have never done a write up before, I am sure this may sound confusing but if I left something out or rambled on and not made something clear, please let me know and I will answer anything I may have forgotten.

Lastly, once again I will mention, I do suggest you read/download the direction from both Fab Four and ADD as some pictures and directions are more clear on one site versus the other.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Maybe a few pics and a little detail next time?:grin2:

I really like the look of those bumpers, just wouldn't look good on my 2wd, maybe the rear would...

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Maybe a few pics and a little detail next time?:grin2:

I really like the look of those bumpers, just wouldn't look good on my 2wd, maybe the rear would...
Im still editing it....pix are a comin :wink2: It did not copy/paste from MS WORD like I thought it might.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Fantastic write-up! Sub'd for future reference. May change out for the Fab Four rear bumper at some point.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As shown in this picture (which I failed to mention) I plan to spray that area with black paint when I get my new fog lights. You have to look hard but you will see the primer color depending on how the light hits that area.

Also, even with the added weight and the 'lack of aerodynamics' of the hideous airdam, I have now put on 400 miles since the bumper swap, and I am getting exactly .1 mpg less. Oh my..... maybe I should have gotten a Prius :grin2: Yes, that is 1/10 of a mpg less.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you ever add fog lights to your set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So far no. I changed out the stock lowbeams for LEDS and so far, just have not seen the need to. Also, I had a hard time thinking which I would go with as I do want to throw some fogs back on...... the wiring is there I just need to figure out a set that would compliment the bumpers instead of just looking like I stuck something on to have them. :grin2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Gotcha. I'm interested in that bumper. But it's a year or two away....

I'm looking into fog light upgrades right now tho, so I was just wondering how they work with that bumper. Was your plan to put them behind the mesh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I felt behind the mesh wouldnt show during the daytime.

Be aware.....while things may be different now, when I got mine it was made to order......they didnt carry any on the shelve at Fab Four. Took like 4+ weeks to get them but to me it was well worth it. :wink2:

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
For the ones I have, only in the rear. But, I do believe it would not take much to make the existing hooks work......but to me it would have taken away from the look so mine were removed. :wink2:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the write up, I just had the same bumper installed and while I love the bumper the front fenders look like crap. They left them at full length and zip tied them to the front of the vengeance. If you reach through the wheel well there is over 6 inches of travel if I push forward on the inside liner.

Im going to cut and tuck them similar to what you did for a more polished look.

After having yours done for awhile is there anything you would have done differently? Or different parts you would have used?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
RE:Your plastic splash guard/ air diverter/ skid plate thing. There is a center hole in the metal bar it attaches to and there by attach the center of the plastic to the metal bar. Tap it out and bolt it up or fish a nut back there and bolt it together. I did that when installing my home fabbed skid plates.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the write up, I just had the same bumper installed and while I love the bumper the front fenders look like crap. They left them at full length and zip tied them to the front of the vengeance. If you reach through the wheel well there is over 6 inches of travel if I push forward on the inside liner.

Im going to cut and tuck them similar to what you did for a more polished look.

After having yours done for awhile is there anything you would have done differently? Or different parts you would have used?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nope, I went nice and slow and dont think Id change anything. :grin2:

·
Registered
404 Posts
its gorgeous. Im glad you said it. I was just about to order and noticed that you lose the rear hitch....Can you confirm that please. Thats gonna kill this for me

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
its gorgeous. Im glad you said it. I was just about to order and noticed that you lose the rear hitch....Can you confirm that please. Thats gonna kill this for me
I don't know why people think this... you do NOT lose the hitch, unless you didn't have one to begin with. :surprise:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Sweet, any specific vendor for best pricing or to support. PM me

·
Registered
404 Posts
Can anyone comment on how much wider this bumper is than stock. I’m literally about to buy it but I’m planning on keeping the stock tires for a while and don’t know if it would look goofy with a non lifted stock tire set up. Also it looks like the bumper will accommodate larger tires. If anyone had to guess, what size tires do you think you could stuff in there without a lift or level kit. I’m thinking of adding this bumper and just putting the largest size without lift or level

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just a heads up. This bumper is not really made for ZR2s even though they have pictures on their site. You do lose your recovery points. I wanted to add this for the same reason of not having to cut the fascia. I am still looking for a bumper that I do not have to cut the fascia.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts