Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall,
installing a 48" fab four rack (drilling required)

Has anyone drilled into their roof before? Installed something similar? Advice?

Just a little worried doing it, don't want to tear the roof off or dent it on a brand new truck ya know.
I dont expect to put much on the rack besides the occasional sleeping bag when the bed is full. Its gonna be rigged w/ 2 50" bars, and additional one in the rear. As well as two squares each on the side portions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Rhino Rack Ditch Mount

Hey yall,
installing a 48" fab four rack (drilling required)

Has anyone drilled into their roof before? Installed something similar? Advice?

Just a little worried doing it, don't want to tear the roof off or dent it on a brand new truck ya know.
I dont expect to put much on the rack besides the occasional sleeping bag when the bed is full. Its gonna be rigged w/ 2 50" bars, and additional one in the rear. As well as two squares each on the side portions.
I just installed the Rhino Rack Vortex RLT600 Ditch Mount roof rack system in black yesterday, It was a little unnerving at first to drill into the roof but it went well. The instructions were spot on but the drilling especially for the front brackets was tough. I went through a couple of Irwin 5 mm cobolt bits before deciding to get the holes started with a unibit. The unibit went through quickly to start the holes then I used the 5mm bit after to get the proper size holes. The Butyl strips that come with it are super sticky and the rivets hold the brackets down tight. We had the remnants of Hurricane Florence come through New York today. We had about 3 inches of rain and there were no leaks. All in all not as bad as you would think to drill the holes in your brand new truck's roof.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Colorado’s roof has two layers and is very thick. Use a small bit for the pilot, step bit to open it up, and then the final bit. I would buy at least two drill bits of each for the pilot and final.

You are just joking with the two 50” bars in front and one 50” bar in the rear right?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I've had a Rhino Rack Platform on my ZR for about 8 months, lots of rain, no issues. I had a Rack Attack store do the install, the labor was cheap and they do this every day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.