Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

421 - 429 of 429 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
Wait, you couldn't remove the studs entirely? Are they molded into the hub or something?
I'm not sure what you mean. It's been a long day so I'm probably not thinking straight. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
Froyofanatic,
The OEM studs are press fit into the hub. They are needed to bolt the spacer in place, but they were just a little bit too long.
Ahh. Yes. This is correct.

Wheel spacers over 1/2" or so usually have their own studs pressed into the spacers and that is what your wheel mounts to. The OEM spacers stay bolted to your axle flange and are used to hold the spacer on.

Example of wheel spacers

How to install video

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wait, you couldn't remove the studs entirely? Are they molded into the hub or something?
You could press them out and get shorter ones, but it's cheaper to just cut them down to size.

·
Registered
615 Posts
While cutting out more of the waffles in the front wheel wells I noticed I'm rubbing the actual fender at the bottom. So I starting cutting the fender plastic to provide more room and thought why not cut it off completely from the fog lights down? It's been done before and doesn't look bad. A steel full front bumper would be better but that's out of my budget. I played around with the waffle placement and I'm pretty sure I can mount it just below the fog lights which will allow me to retain the fender liner and extra support for the bottom of the bumper cover.

I'd have loads of clearance for larger tires and it would be a lot easier climbing rocks with more tire exposed.

Here's a quick edit of what it could look like if cut straight across vs. a slight curve. I prefer the curve. Crude I know but I'm on a tablet using photo edit.
View attachment 384540

Here's one that's already been done in a slightly different way. I'd probably keep the cut straight towards the wheel instead of arcing upwards. Thanks @gforcecanyon
View attachment 384543
View attachment 384542

View attachment 384544
Dang! How have I missed @gforcecanyon's rig? That trim job looks mean up front! I agree, something similar is in order for your truck

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #426
Dang! How have I missed @gforcecanyon's rig? That trim job looks mean up front! I agree, something similar is in order for your truck

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Right? LOL

·
Registered
185 Posts
How did you run your chase light wiring from your bed into the cab? Thinking of mounting some square amber light pods to the underside of my forward HD bar with t-nuts and using them as bed lighting also when camping since the RTT blocks the existing bed lights.

·
Super Moderator
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #428
How did you run your chase light wiring from your bed into the cab? Thinking of mounting some square amber light pods to the underside of my forward HD bar with t-nuts and using them as bed lighting also when camping since the RTT blocks the existing bed lights.
My LED bed lighting is tapped into the OEM harness behind the drivers tail light and works off the cargo light switch. My chase lights have their own wires ran along the driver side frame rail, into the engine bay and through a hole I drilled through the firewall below the master cylinder. There is quite a bit of room to drill and there are even "pop out" piece of firewall padding on the inside. I can't seem to find pictures of the area at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
I finally got an alignment! It's been 3+ months since I installed the aftermarket UCAs but I've been working on getting my front suspension set where I want it so no sense in wasting money on an alignment until that was done.

Looking at the before numbers the UCAs added quite a bit of caster and toe but I was still having trouble rubbing the rear of the wheel well after adding the 1.00" wheel spacers. The tech at Less Schwab was great and he let me go into the work area to discuss my desired outcome. We ended up pushing the wheel as far forward as possible. It's easier to make room in the front of the well than the rear.

During my alignment last summer before the UCAs we set caster at 2.9 and 3.1.

421 - 429 of 429 Posts