Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mine is 11 months old with 9,500 miles. No issues and very pleased with my truck.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If I were repurchasing I'd go with the crew cab hands down. The back seats are useless for people and only marginally useful for other things. I live in an apartment building so parking in the lot and opening the rear doors is as annoying as being in a crowded shopping centre. I've had the striker adjusted but in cold weather (lower than say 25F, which is common in Edmonton) they do rattle and occasionally the open door notification will turn on when cornering. I don't ever use my bed (I purchased the truck since I wanted a vehicle higher off the ground, had 4WD, and didn't look like a soccer mom vehicle) so I can't comment on whether the short bed would have been OK as well. Presumably the longer bed is best, I can store my summer tires in the truck bed throughout the winter no problem. So, are these real complaints about the extended cab? Not necessarily, I don't regret the purchase - but I would go with the crew cab long bed if repurchasing. Likely my next vehicle will be a decision between the Equinox, Bronco, and Cadillac XT4.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My only real complaint about the truck is the door panel rattle due to the speakers. I've had it in around four times now for repair and it seems this is just something I'll have to live with. I've even had it checked out by a body guy when he was doing repair work and he commented that "someone's trying really hard to make this go away - there's nothing else that I could fill the panel with." If you're an audiophile you may not be happy with this generation of the Colorado. The other complaint would be sluggish shift patterns but that was easily solved with the Trifecta tune.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My 2017 has close to 9000 miles and only issue I learned the first day was that I need to close the rear doors firmly for the door ajar warning to not come on. Not slam, but not quietly. There is another post with instructions on how to adjust the doors that I have printed off but it has not been an issue since as I rarely use the back doors. Truck is used 90% by myself and occasionally with my GF. No kids living at home so I only need the back for storage. Had a Ranger extended cab with no rear opening doors for 13 years so this is great with the rear doors for access. Using Brownlee's extended cab shelf to throw stuff in the back on. I like the length of the bed as I have a 12" deep toolbox in the back taking up some space. I looked at the crew cab and tried sitting in the back. Quickly determined that my long legged kids would not be able to ride back there. If I had a young child or two, I wouldn't think twice about getting a crew cab, but the extended cab suits me just fine as I have an Equinox for family activities. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had my extended cab Canyon for 2 years. They can be a pain opening the rear door in a crowded parking lot, and when it was quite cold outside mine took a few months for the door to seem to "seal" properly or else the "door ajar" would come on. But a big pro is that with a full size box the truck will fit in my garage, with the crew cab it was just a little too long. Just remember that it really isn't a place that anyone over about 10 years old could actually sit in for more than a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
3,623 Posts
I have had my extended cab Canyon for 2 years. They can be a pain opening the rear door in a crowded parking lot, and when it was quite cold outside mine took a few months for the door to seem to "seal" properly or else the "door ajar" would come on. But a big pro is that with a full size box the truck will fit in my garage, with the crew cab it was just a little too long. Just remember that it really isn't a place that anyone over about 10 years old could actually sit in for more than a few minutes.
Yeah, I used to put my old girlfriend in the back seat of my 2007 extended cab on long trips with another person up front. To Newport RI and New York City. Maybe that's one of the reasons she is my old girlfriend now. Ha! >:)

Just saying, if you coat the rubber molding with a silicone spray as the truck gets older, in the spring and fall, the doors never make a sound.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My door rattles but I don't think it has anything to do with it being an extended cab. I believe it's coming from the door lock knob.

·
Registered
524 Posts
No problems at all out of my 2015 extended cab with 49,000 miles. No rattles at all. I will agree with what others have said. The extended cabs are the best lookin. I don't need to haul humans back there so its all good.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
It's too bad they discontinued the Canyon SLT ext cab. Lucky guys who got those. What I would give to have one in a diesel but they never made them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was dead set on an extended cab. I don't have kids or pets or drive 3 people around, and I would much prefer the longer bed. I wouldn't use it often, but I'm assuming I'll come in handy from time to time.

But now I'm reading that the suicide doors are not only annoying in parking lots, but are more likely to rattle and make noise - if not initially, then possibly over time as the truck ages. I'm not a fan of leaky door seals, wind noise, and rattles.

Do extended cab owners regret their choice because of the doors? Is this a silly thing to consider when deciding?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
No leaks, squeaks, rattles, or wind noise in my 2016 extended cab. I'm very satisfied.
Same here with my 2016. At 40 months now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
One year/13k miles on my 2019 extended cab. Like others have said the only issue with the doors (aside from the mentioned parking lot clearance) is the latches. Especially when it's cold, you have to make sure to close them firmly but without slamming them to keep the open door chime from constantly going off. I don't normally suffer from road rage but when that happens it's enough to send me over the edge. :mad:

Some suggest holding the door at the midpoint when closing. I've found it better to have a hand at the top and bottom.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Boy this is an old revived thread. 2017 with 24,000 miles I think. Haven't driven it since first part of December as no deep snow yet. I had to adjust the rear door latches on the the sill the first day I owned it thanks to someone here having a bulletin on it. Have not experienced a door alarm in 3 years. Did have a rattle on the left side but was from plastic trim not staying snapped in place. Dealer took care of it. I like the looks of the extended cab, love the shelving purchased from another member, and I like the extra cab length. I am thinking about getting rid of it for a full size as I need a vehicle for a trip with 5 occupants with one needing a confounded child carrier. Hard to find a vehicle for 3 in the back with a child carrier. The suicide doors don't bother me in my Colorado. Previous truck was a Ranger extended cab in which I had to slide the seat all the way ahead and still could not get much into the back. I can cram a lot of grocery bags and x-mas presents in the back of the interior cab of my Colorado.

·
Registered
175 Posts
23k with no rattle. Shopping bags go on passenger floor board so they dont spill all over the back. The back seat (ha) is good for travel bags and a bottle of booze on the floor.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My drivers side doors rattled. The dealer managed to fix them by rehanging them, but it took several trips to get them to take care of it. The rattle was grating, and drove me nuts.

·
Registered
231 Posts
No problems with mine.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts