Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please tell me how to get the exhaust out without cutting bolts won't come loose. removing too replace donut ring. I'm not trying to cut. But so oh well.
Suggestions how to get out
Or
where to cut

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,582 Posts
Did you spray the bolts with a penetrating oil?

Here are a few examples:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bolts were kinda stripped when tried to remove . 15mm socket fits somewhat. Just wanted to put the elbow casket in.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
The bolts were kinda stripped when tried to remove . 15mm socket fits somewhat. Just wanted to put the elbow casket in.
Try to find a socket that seems a little tight, then hammer it on. Make sure to use a 6 point, not 12.
if that won't work try vise grips on it. If that won't work then you'll have to cut.
Just grind or cut the nut off. Then hopefully you can get the stud out with vise grips. Oil and heat will help.

Reactions: gherbert

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yeah I had to get medieval and break out the vise grips at times, sometimes you may get lucky. Now a days if I don't have the right tools or something is just too much trouble time to have a pro work on it. I don't think I would even try removing the exhaust pipe at the header. I bet its a PITA! I hope you get her Keith!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I had to get medieval and break out the vise grips at times, sometimes you may get lucky. Now a days if I don't have the right tools or something is just too much trouble time to have a pro work on it. I don't think I would even try removing the exhaust pipe at the header. I bet its a PITA! I hope you get her Keith!
Finally got this off 5 cutting disc, 2 hack saw blades, finally busted at the elbow.
what is with the mesh in front and its completely clogged

·
Registered
5,852 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,582 Posts
Is this the reason my truck is bucking when idling
here is some reading on it. I would assume that you would have more issue then at idle only.

https://www.carparts.com/blog/how-to-tell-if-the-catalytic-converter-is-clogged/

Symptoms of a Bad Catalytic Converter | Gold Eagle Co..

Catalytic converters often last for 10 years or more, but they can become contaminated, clogged, overheated or physically damaged — leading to sluggish engine performance and, eventually, engine shutdown.

https://www.cars.com/articles/what-are-common-catalytic-converter-problems-1420663031608/

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Is this the reason my truck is bucking when idling
Not usually, it would have to be plugged VERY bad to effect idle that much. Idle only problems are usually the throttle body and/or vacuum leaks/s.
I don't think a plugged, melted converter is worth anything. Not sure though.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Unbeknownst to me I had a CAT start to break apart back in 94 on a Grandprix while on the interstate. The element itself turned sideways within the housing. All of the sudden I have crap for power and am about 75 miles from home. I drive it easy and get it home and it's midnight so I hit the rack for the night. The following morning I get up go out to have a look,start the car and get the white smoke from the exhaust syndrome. Yup for those in the know water was finding it's way into the combustion chamber. A removal of the head and "OH CRAP" cracked block. SO the moral of the story is, if you ever feel that lack of power or the infamous exhaust rattle of a CAT falling apart DON'T WAIT to get it replaced...... Lesson learned the hard way

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not usually, it would have to be plugged VERY bad to effect idle that much. Idle only problems are usually the throttle body and/or vacuum leaks/s.
I don't think a plugged, melted converter is worth anything. Not sure though.
I know this sounds crazy but what and where is the Throttle body????

·
Premium Member
2,756 Posts
Oof. You uh sure you should be doing this?

Big chonky metal thing sitting on top of the engine... Where the big plastic hose goes.
I was just about to say...
OK Ill say it. You shouldn't be working on a car like I shouldn't be working on a jet engine.
A question like that says volumes.

Reactions: SFLTruck

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I know this sounds crazy but what and where is the Throttle body????
You could you tube it I guess. They they get dirty and will cause rough idle. They are computer controlled by a motor too so that can go bad. There is also a sensor in it that can go bad too. These should trow a code but ??? Start by cleaning. You tube "colorado throttle body cleaning" and you might get lucky.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts