Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
What a gorgeous spot! Bowties look great too.
Yeah, some fun off-road to get to it, but totally worth it! :) We were completely alone. I actually buried the front end in a muddy hole that was bigger than it looked and had to back out and detour around (no way to make it up with my approach angle). Ha. Truck backed right out of the big hole and went through the mud with zero issues. Couldn't believe how easy it was to get unstuck from the bog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you're not planning on using that space on the bars, and want the ends to be closer to the towers, you could probably go with 60" and it could look better. There's more than 4 inches of extra bar on each side. But if you're just wondering what I have it's 68.
Thanks! I looked at what Yakima suggested, the 55" and the pics of your 68" and did decide to go with the 60". Ordered them at the weekend during the sale and they arrived yesterday along with the Overhaul HD rack. Saved about $220 over all. Now I just need to find a good sale on a low mileage 2019/20 Z71 to put them on. :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
My Rotopax mount finally came in. Apparently they were a bit backordered due to production issues. Decided to get the DLX non-locking version due to hearing all the issues with their lock cores rusting, though I'm a bit concerned that it doesn't lock into place with no gas can attached. Worried about it unthreading during driving and losing the clamp. Gonna have to think on that one cause I don't want it on all the time. I can unthread the clamp completely and leave the base on, though that's a bit of a pain. =/ Wonder what others are doing. Also got a Yakima TopGrip to mount a shovel or a SUP paddle.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado, crewcab long box, 2.8L Duramax, Shadow Metalic Grey. 2" level kit
34 Posts
Nice looking rig! Love a functional build without the insanity that "overlanding" has brought to the adventure market. I work for Yukon Parks and run a grass roots offroad GIS/Recovery service in Northern Canada. And I am continually shocked at how much people spend om kit just to go down dirt roads and use campgrounds. "Mall crawler" doesnt even begin to describe it.

Well done sir. I look forward to watching your build progress

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Oh I totally forgot to post about this little thing, but messing around in my backseat today made me think of it. I picked up these travel canisters awhile ago using REI 20% off coupons. They are waterproof (not that it matters in the vehicle, though it will if you want to keep liquids in them) and perfect for mounting to rear seat with some little Nite Ize carabiners since they have PALS webbing all around. They kinda remind me of little feed bags but they're super handy and look good. I keep frequently used stuff when camping like headlamps, fire-starting stuff, etc in one and straps, gear ties, and small tools in the other. Plus the front PALS allows me to always have carabiners handy. I always seem to need them frequently when camping to hang lights, trash bags, and other stuff. I did have to add some cord to the zipper pulls because they are a bit noisy when driving around (they're nice YKK metal zippers), but that was a simple fix (you can see them in pics). On the headrest is a PDW A02 admin pouch attached with Velcro One-Wrap.

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Trail Runner
158 Posts
Do the carbiners rattle at all on the headrest posts? Or did you use plastic carabiners? Hard to tell from the pictures. I REALLY like this idea and will be copying it this weekend. Since I'll be sleeping in the bed of my truck when camping, I like that you can easily move the bag from one location to another and always have essentials handy, like the damn headlamp that always goes missing.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #111 (Edited)
Do the carbiners rattle at all on the headrest posts? Or did you use plastic carabiners? Hard to tell from the pictures. I REALLY like this idea and will be copying it this weekend. Since I'll be sleeping in the bed of my truck when camping, I like that you can easily move the bag from one location to another and always have essentials handy, like the damn headlamp that always goes missing.
On the bags I use plastic carabiners but also space them out so they're not touching each other. You don't have to use every slot. The other side has a couple metal ones. On the headrest posts to connect the bags I use the #3 size Nite Ize S-biners. They don't seem to rattle. The weight of the bags and what I have in them seems to keep them from moving around, also the headrest that's lowered against them. You do have to take the headrests off to put them on the posts because the opening isn't big enough, but that keeps them from moving a lot and also tight to the seat back. You can still take off the bags if needed, the S-biners just stay on the headrest. I like this option cause it doesn't affect rear seat legroom like a full seat organizer would.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #113

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Also, here's what's in that little pouch right now. Just a few frequently used things I don't want to go digging for constantly. I want to mount a first aid kit on the other side at some point, but I already have a nice one (currently under rear bench) so don't need some overland headrest full-on first aid kit, just a way to make mine more accessible when kids and dog are in the backseat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do you have the medium SkyRise tent? I'm wondering how much room you have in it and how it works out with the kids and dog.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Do you have the medium SkyRise tent? I'm wondering how much room you have in it and how it works out with the kids and dog.
It's the medium, but you can't take tent manufacturers' word on capacity unless you like being crammed in like a sardine. I like being comfortable so I wouldn't want to sleep more than 2 people in it. When gauging tent dimensions, I typically compare them to the common bed dimensions for reference. Even this larger medium tent that says it sleeps 3 adults is 4 inches narrower than a queen bed. More than 2 people on a queen sized bed isn't my idea of fun, especially if anyone moves a lot when they sleep, but you could do it. :) The kids don't go on every trip, but when they do, I bring a separate ground tent. Eventually thinking of getting an off-road trailer with another RTT but they are so expensive for what they are.

·
Registered
2018 GMC Canyon All Terrain LB
38 Posts
So I picked up the metal load stops from Yakima. The idea was to bend them flat to remove the angeled tip and them bend them again 90 degrees to hold a table inverted below the Outpost HD (under a tent). My neighbor thinks I can't bend them, they are too thick. Have you had any thoughts like this? I got the idea form a full on gladiator build but I think they used a C channel.

101 - 120 of 134 Posts