Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I originally was only going to post after I had completed everything, but I figured I've made enough changes to start my own build thread. It's fun and perhaps someone can learn from my experiences. My primary purpose of this truck is for mountain biking, camping, and other outdoor adventures in Colorado. It's also my daily driver so it is not intended to be a dedicated off-road rig.

Upcoming items:
Hidden winch bumper
Cab roof rack
Rock sliders
Light bar

Day I picked it up. 2017 Z71.

Threw a Retrax Pro XR cover on it. Hadn't drilled drain holes yet.

Put the Rhino Rack Vortex bars on it.

Added some bike racks. I have a 1up USA hitch carrier, but my truck would not fit in the garage with it on. Also put my ski racks in between the bike racks to test fitment.

Took the air dam off.

Upgraded the interior LED lights and bed lights and put in weathertech floor liners. They're super bright so you don't want to use these while driving, but they are great for camping.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's where I have some lessons learned. I really didn't like not being able to see out my rear window with the rooftop tent on the Rhino Rack bars. And even though I had an electric hoist I installed on my garage roof, I didn't want to be removing it from the bed constantly. It was also a pain when camping having to crawl underneath it to access anything in the bed. So I got the Yakima Outpost HD setup and it was more solid and worked better for my needs. It barely clears my garage with the RTT on.

Pain to get to stuff

New setup

Garage clearance

Full load

Winter setup

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Took one of my old Rhino Rack bars and mounted Maxtrax on it using the Yakima mounts. Stable, easy to get to, and I can still see out my rear window. Going to cut the bar down so it doesn't extend past the Yakima towers and I think it will look much better. Also added some skid plates but no pictures.

Don't remember when I did this, but sometime awhile back I mounted a small bag for frequently used items behind the passenger seat with carabiners. Most of my other critical camping gear is under the rear seat storage. Most passengers can still fit with it back there and I can easily remove it when I need it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got a heavy duty bed mat for Christmas so I'm not ripping up everything I put in there with that rough bedliner. If anyone is curious, I also finally found the right sized containers that use the max vertical space under the Retrax canister, but don't stick out past it horizontally, taking up more room. Bed space is a premium when camping, so this is key.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Enjoyed looking at everything except it looks like you bought your firewood at Walmart. 🤣

Good looking realistic setup you built. I really like down to earth camping trucks.

Basic is best. Good work. 👍🏻

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Randoms
Enjoyed looking at everything except it looks like you bought your firewood at Walmart. 🤣

Good looking realistic setup you built. I really like down to earth camping trucks.

Basic is best. Good work. 👍🏻
King Soopers actually. :LOL: I live in the suburbs. I always get a few bundles before I go in case I can't find any deadfall.

·
Super Moderator
4,055 Posts
About time you made this thread! 😁

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's thread like these that make me wish I had saved a little more and bought a retractable tonneau cover instead of my rolling cover... Super jealous of the RTT and tonneau cover combo! Sweet build and I'm looking forward to watching this one evolve.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If anyone is curious, I also finally found the right sized containers that use the max vertical space under the Retrax canister, but don't stick out past it horizontally, taking up more room.
I'm curious. Where did you find the containers and what are the actual dimensions?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm curious. Where did you find the containers and what are the actual dimensions?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
It's the Large size. They don't latch like some of the heavy duty bins I found but they fit so perfect underneath and the lids haven't fallen off. Before I used other bins that either left a bunch of space up top and didn't fit my larger items, or stuck out too much that I couldn't push my cooler and gear boxes back all the way to the canister. Underneath is about 12 inches deep and 10.5 inches high. It was hard to find any bins with similar dimensions.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Jesus, that's some changes. Nice evolution. You can't fit in the garage with the 1Up folded?

Nice Remedy? too.
Nope. It's too long. Love that rack, but didn't feel like taking it off and putting it on constantly. When it's nice out I'm riding 3-5 days a week. But...I have it when I need it. When my buddies and I do mountain bike trips I can carry 4 bikes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Great looking rig. I'm also in Colorado! What kind of dog is that?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's thread like these that make me wish I had saved a little more and bought a retractable tonneau cover instead of my rolling cover... Super jealous of the RTT and tonneau cover combo! Sweet build and I'm looking forward to watching this one evolve.
Yeah, coming from an SUV, albeit a small one, it was really important to me to have locking storage in the bed so I didn't feel like I was losing storage (cause I would be afraid to keep stuff back there). I still wanted a rooftop tent though. The Yakima truck stuff didn't exist when I bought my truck so there weren't a ton of options to mount racks over the truck bed with a cover. That's how I ended up with that Rhino Rack system at the time. The new Yakima truck stuff with the tonneau kit is excellent for that though, and it's freaking rock solid. Fits my needs perfectly. With the Retrax cover I've been camping in torrential downpour and everything in the bed has stayed dry.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts