Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Colorado regular cab, 2.9L 2WD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 2wd with the 4cyl. The engine exhibits a loss of power, sputter when the gas tank gauge gets down to 1/4. This is reproducible, sadly. Instantly happy with a refuel. Haven't run it down to sputter, then try to siphon the rest of the contents to see what's in there, but can't imagine this is anything other than a weak fuel pump. The manual specs the gas tank at 19.5 gallons. At sputter point, I can refill her only to 14.3 gal. Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Weak fuel pump or clogged fuel filter would be my guess. I don't know what the fuel filter situation is in in 2007s. My 89 Ranger it's easily replaceable and would be the place to start.

·
Registered
2007 Colorado regular cab, 2.9L 2WD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weak fuel pump or clogged fuel filter would be my guess. I don't know what the fuel filter situation is in in 2007s. My 89 Ranger it's easily replaceable and would be the place to start.
IIRC, the fuel pump and filter are actually in the tank. So I think you may be right, unless there is a fuel pickup pipe with a crack in it, sucking air at its breach.

·
Registered
2019 Colorado WT, CCSB, V6 4x4
95 Posts
I had a 2006 and no separate fuel filter, allegedly part of pump module. If high mileage and original pump, might be worth it to replace as suggested above. I had replaced mine at 150,000 miles just as maintenance, was pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
2007 2wd with the 4cyl. The engine exhibits a loss of power, sputter when the gas tank gauge gets down to 1/4. This is reproducible, sadly. Instantly happy with a refuel. Haven't run it down to sputter, then try to siphon the rest of the contents to see what's in there, but can't imagine this is anything other than a weak fuel pump. The manual specs the gas tank at 19.5 gallons. At sputter point, I can refill her only to 14.3 gal. Thoughts?
My guess is the gauge is wrong. Usually if it is, it's the sender in the tank which is part of the pump and filter.
So the fix is a new pump. Good news is you get all new pump, filter and sender.

The weird thing is it seems that it really is at 1/4 (14 gal to fill), but in that case it's time to pull the pump anyway so same fix. Do it before you get stranded.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts