Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

161 - 166 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
This exact thing just happened to me Saturday night while driving home at 80 kms.
The rpms dropped and the truck slowed right down. I had to pull off the road quickly. Once it stopped I tried to restart it and only heard a click. And the dash said 'battery saving mode'.
The dealer just called me today to say they believe the engine is seized as they can't turn it over at all. And it will cost upto $10'000 to fix once they remove the engine, if something is broken in there that's not covered by warranty. . So I have to make a decision whether or not to go ahead and open the engine! So I'm Sol.. Out a truck, cuz I can't afford 10 grand to fix it! And I can't risk it if there's a chance it's not covered by warranty.. 😪
If it's under factory warranty then everything inside the engine is covered under warranty.
The battery saver mode message at the same time is suspicious. An engine failure will not cause that message. An electrical issue will. I'd get a second opinion. Techs don't make money on simple fixes. My guess is that they see an opertunity to make money and they think you look like a sucker. I don't know what your milage is but unless you modified it it's probably covered.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry, but I call BS...with all the electronics on today's vehicles - something would've definitely indicated issues b4 a motor siezed. I asked my older brother (certified diesel mech) & he agreed...motors just don't fail w/o some type of warning.
Having looked at the engine programming and trans program with efi live the motor can in fact lock up tight without a code or tires skidding. As tq converter has default unlock at under 1k rpm. So that been shutter he felt.
as long as oil pressure was above 23psi it wouldn’t throw a code or light for oil.
mine destroyed a turbo compressor wheel and didn’t throw any code even with 5psi less boost.
so it can very easily lock up without a single CEL.
ROD or crank shaft failure would lock it up tight and it wouldn’t have a single code in memory.
with towing 4K and how the truck will auto downshift on grades and rev to 4500 it wouldn’t surprise me at all if a rod broke.
I have two of these. 2017 canyon and 2018 ZR2.
i have had trans temp issues, oil pressure issues towing a 4700 lbs trailer with both trucks.
but i also did a 5300 mile trip towing the toy hauler through upper Idaho and Montana. As well as northern ca through Tahoe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Having looked at the engine programming and trans program with efi live the motor can in fact lock up tight without a code or tires skidding. As tq converter has default unlock at under 1k rpm. So that been shutter he felt.
as long as oil pressure was above 23psi it wouldn’t throw a code or light for oil.
mine destroyed a turbo compressor wheel and didn’t throw any code even with 5psi less boost.
so it can very easily lock up without a single CEL.
ROD or crank shaft failure would lock it up tight and it wouldn’t have a single code in memory.
with towing 4K and how the truck will auto downshift on grades and rev to 4500 it wouldn’t surprise me at all if a rod broke.
I have two of these. 2017 canyon and 2018 ZR2.
i have had trans temp issues, oil pressure issues towing a 4700 lbs trailer with both trucks.
but i also did a 5300 mile trip towing the toy hauler through upper Idaho and Montana. As well as northern ca through Tahoe.
Yes they can. It depends on what failed.
A dropped valve or stuck piston will do it. I doubt it would through a rod at 4500 rpm or even 7000 rpm. Valves floating is more likely. But still all of theses issues wouldn't through a code. I have the 3.6L with a Mallet supercharger and I tow a 3800 lbs boat for about 2.5hrs at 65mpg+ with no issues.
I have heard of one 2.8L Duramax that dropped a valve. Completely covered under warranty.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mine was around $12k, which includes labor, gaskets, fluids, etc. that I ended up paying for due to evidence of being tuned. Mine had inj#1 go out, and it put a hole about 1/4 inch diameter in the piston. It had 48k mi on it.

edit...Also replaced all 4 injs.

As long as you weren't tuned and still under warranty, I wouldn't worry too much about it. My dealer even gave me a loaner to drive while my truck was being fixed.

The nice thing is, the new motor doesn't burn a drop of oil, I have 15k miles on it now. New motor has 3 yr/100k warranty. It's about 16 months old now. My original burned about 1 1/2 qts between oil changes(about 6k mi) from day 1. Truck was ordered around Thanksgiving 2015, delivered Feb 2016. Was one of the first ones.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Mine was around $12k, which includes labor, gaskets, fluids, etc. that I ended up paying for due to evidence of being tuned. Mine had inj#1 go out, and it put a hole about 1/4 inch diameter in the piston. It had 48k mi on it.

edit...Also replaced all 4 injs.

As long as you weren't tuned and still under warranty, I wouldn't worry too much about it. My dealer even gave me a loaner to drive while my truck was being fixed.

The nice thing is, the new motor doesn't burn a drop of oil, I have 15k miles on it now. New motor has 3 yr/100k warranty. It's about 16 months old now. My original burned about 1 1/2 qts between oil changes(about 6k mi) from day 1. Truck was ordered around Thanksgiving 2015, delivered Feb 2016. Was one of the first ones.
Well you got ripped off because everyone knows tunes don't void warranties and can't be discovered by the dealer! (Sorry, I got to go remove my tongue from my cheek now.) 🤪

·
Registered
484 Posts
Sadly it's stories like this that led me to upping my factory warranty. I'll be covered until I get out of residency now.

Reactions: Toughsox
161 - 166 of 166 Posts