Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

101 - 120 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
16 Canyon SLT, V6, 4X4, Longbed, Cyber Metallic Gray
743 Posts
So you're saying if someone blows a motor at 99,998 miles and GM Covers a replacement motor under warranty. That new motor will only be in warranty for 2 more miles? I dont know about that.
That warranty is if purchased separately, not when used as a replacement. As a side note, some states and countries have laws that effect warranties as well.
All depends on your state and state laws .
Example
When buying a vechicle, some states do not transfer warranty, some states required to transfer warranty to 2nd owner, in KS where I bought my Canyon, state law requires warranty be transferred as a 50/50,

·
Registered
2017 All Terrain 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
1,253 Posts
All depends on your state and state laws .
Example
When buying a vechicle, some states do not transfer warranty, some states required to transfer warranty to 2nd owner, in KS where I bought my Canyon, state law requires warranty be transferred as a 50/50,
LOL it is literally spelled out in the title of the warranty form. The replacement powertrain warranty is separate from the new vehicle warranty.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
So you're saying if someone blows a motor at 99,998 miles and GM Covers a replacement motor under warranty. That new motor will only be in warranty for 2 more miles? I dont know about that.
What I'm saying is read the fine print in your truck's warranty. GM warranties various parts of the vehicle for various amounts of time or miles. When they replace a part, it does not reset the warranty. ln some cases, when your vehicle is near the warranty ending, GM will extend the warranty on that specific part, but it will not equal the original warranty.

So in the hypothetical case of replacing an engine with 99,998 miles, the replacement engine will come with a warranty, but it won't be 5 years, 100,000 miles. Probably 2 years, 24,000 - but I'm not sure on that exact number.

REP: the verbiage you are quoting is in the event you walked into a dealer and bought an engine, not when a dealer replaces one under a warranty claim. Nor do l believe that amount of mileage coverage is still offered. A new vehicle comes with a 60k engine warranty, so it's doubtful GM would sell the same engine but warranty it for 100k instead. Unless you're talking kilometers instead of miles since 60k miles is pretty close to 100k kilometers. If l recall properly, these engines have 3 year 36k warranty, but l would have to check to be sure.

Lastly, do not believe what a service rep may tell you unless it's written on paper. Verbal promises aren't worth the paper they're written on.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
What I'm saying is read the fine print in your truck's warranty. GM warranties various parts of the vehicle for various amounts of time or miles. When they replace a part, it does not reset the warranty. ln some cases, when your vehicle is near the warranty ending, GM will extend the warranty on that specific part, but it will not equal the original warranty.

So in the hypothetical case of replacing an engine with 99,998 miles, the replacement engine will come with a warranty, but it won't be 5 years, 100,000 miles. Probably 2 years, 24,000 - but I'm not sure on that exact number.

REP: the verbiage you are quoting is in the event you walked into a dealer and bought an engine, not when a dealer replaces one under a warranty claim. Nor do l believe that amount of mileage coverage is still offered. A new vehicle comes with a 60k engine warranty, so it's doubtful GM would sell the same engine but warranty it for 100k instead. Unless you're talking kilometers instead of miles since 60k miles is pretty close to 100k kilometers. If l recall properly, these engines have 3 year 36k warranty, but l would have to check to be sure.

Lastly, do not believe what a service rep may tell you unless it's written on paper. Verbal promises aren't worth the paper they're written on.
Ok, you're right...and yes it's in the fine print. I guess that, if the engine is replaced under the New Vehicle Warranty at 59,998 miles then you really do have about 2 miles left on the powertrain warranty. I was originally under the impression that the new vehicle "bumper to bumper" and powertrain warranty were different, but I was wrong.

When you buy a new vehicle from GM, it comes with a GM NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY which includes different types of coverage such as Bumper to Bumper (3yr/36K), Powertrain (5yr/60K or 5yr/100K for HD Duramax or fleet), Emissions (up to 8yr/80K based on federal mandates), Corrosion (3yr/36K) and Sheet Metal Rust Through (6yr/100K).

When your engine is replaced by GM, say if you got into a collision and insurance paid for it, then the new engine comes with the GM SERVICE REPLACEMENT WARRANTY. That coverage is for 3yr/100K (miles not kilometers). Now, if the engine fails and GM replaces it under the GM NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY, then I found the applicable disclaimer in the GM SERVICE REPLACEMENT WARRANTY:
- This warranty does not apply to any unit installed under the General Motors New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Ok, you're right...and yes it's in the fine print.
As my "friends" would say: even a blind pig finds a truffle once in a while. I've never had truffles, but I guess I just found one! 😁

(Note: this is not directed at REP, but at myself for getting something right for a change!)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
As my "friends" would say: even a blind pig finds a truffle once in a while. I've never had truffles, but I guess I just found one! 😁

(Note: this is not directed at REP, but at myself for getting something right for a change!)
This truffle comes with a GM LIMITED TRUFFLE WARRANTY*

*only truffles found by swine are covered under the GM TRUFFLE WARRANTY

·
Registered
162 Posts

When I had an inj failure(put hole in piston) on my 2016 DMax 2.8L at 48k miles, it was not warrantied due to evidence of having been tuned. I paid for a new motor and it came with a 3 yr/100k mile warranty as long as the factory tune they reinstalled is still installed. It still baffles me that it's got a shorter time length but way longer mileage warranty than what it came with from the factory.

Still factory tuned at 61k miles and the throttle lag is still annoying. Lol

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
When I had an inj failure(put hole in piston) on my 2016 DMax 2.8L at 48k miles, it was not warrantied due to evidence of having been tuned. I paid for a new motor and it came with a 3 yr/100k mile warranty as long as the factory tune they reinstalled is still installed. It still baffles me that it's got a shorter time length but way longer mileage warranty than what it came with from the factory.

Still factory tuned at 61k miles and the throttle lag is still annoying. Lol
Pure speculation on my part, but perhaps the logic in a 3 year 100k warranty is any vehicle running up 100k in 3 years had to be doing mostly highway miles which are far less stressful on an engine. Then again, we are talking GM and perhaps they feel the average person would never hit that mileage, so why not offer the warranty? I have no basis for this, but I believe the "average" person puts around 15K per year on a vehicle, so typically the GM warranty would expire at 45k, which is still short of the warranty on a new truck. Trust me - GM has analysts who get paid well to figure out every angle.

·
Registered
2017 Black Z71 diesel CC LB; 255/75-17 ATs
20 Posts
fwiw, i just went through a duramax replacement under warranty after shearing a wrist pin. they blamed the fuel pump and/or injectors. i'll post another thread on it soon. I got the oil pressure light and warning, but that's it. no other codes. and it still "ran". blew a hole in the side of the engine block big enough to pull the wrist pin out with my hand. no joke

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
fwiw, i just went through a duramax replacement under warranty after shearing a wrist pin. they blamed the fuel pump and/or injectors. i'll post another thread on it soon. I got the oil pressure light and warning, but that's it. no other codes. and it still "ran". blew a hole in the side of the engine block big enough to pull the wrist pin out with my hand. no joke
Sometimes it's amazing the carnage that can happen to an engine, yet it still runs. A friend who worked in a shop told me they had a rough running VW come in once. Tear done found the crankshaft was broke in two. In your case, I would be hard pressed to believe a fuel pump would cause the issue, especially considering it effected only one cylinder. Injector... questionable. Given other posts on the seeming fragility of some of the D'max's wrist pins, I suppose the injector could have a contributing factor though.

OP 29er: Any updates? And apologies for helping in the derailing of your thread!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Dealer pushing it off so customer pays full amount, insead of the reduced amount gm woukd pay ?

Someone needs a tally or thread dedicated to wrist pins

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Sometimes it's amazing the carnage that can happen to an engine, yet it still runs. A friend who worked in a shop told me they had a rough running VW come in once. Tear done found the crankshaft was broke in two. In your case, I would be hard pressed to believe a fuel pump would cause the issue, especially considering it effected only one cylinder. Injector... questionable. Given other posts on the seeming fragility of some of the D'max's wrist pins, I suppose the injector could have a contributing factor though.

OP 29er: Any updates? And apologies for helping in the derailing of your thread!
Nothing new to report. Dealer says the new engine will arrive towards the end of this week. Maybe. I'm still figuring out how I feel about the whole mess, especially since this is the first GM vehicle I've owned for a couple of decades. I thought I'd give them another chance to earn my trust with the Duramax Canyon and then this happens FIVE stinking weeks after I bought it.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon AT4
130 Posts
Nothing new to report. Dealer says the new engine will arrive towards the end of this week. Maybe. I'm still figuring out how I feel about the whole mess, especially since this is the first GM vehicle I've owned for a couple of decades. I thought I'd give them another chance to earn my trust with the Duramax Canyon and then this happens FIVE stinking weeks after I bought it.
I don’t think you’re experiencing anything that countless of other truck buyers who have bought a turbo diesel in the past 15 years haven’t experienced. 3.0 Rams and F150’s have issues, the heavy duty trucks as well. People wonder why these new diesels don’t have the reputation that the 7.3 and 5.9’s of yore had about being bullet proof. It’s because those old engines barely made 200hp. These newer ones are running way more boost. Just a lot more being asked out of these things without a subsequent increase in displacement. So don’t feel like you made a mistake by buying GM, because no one else is doing any better.

Reactions: RedEyeB20

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
I don’t think you’re experiencing anything that countless of other truck buyers who have bought a turbo diesel in the past 15 years haven’t experienced. 3.0 Rams and F150’s have issues, the heavy duty trucks as well. People wonder why these new diesels don’t have the reputation that the 7.3 and 5.9’s of yore had about being bullet proof. It’s because those old engines barely made 200hp. These newer ones are running way more boost. Just a lot more being asked out of these things without a subsequent increase in displacement. So don’t feel like you made a mistake by buying GM, because no one else is doing any better.
Thanks, I have no reason to doubt what you say. These are mass produced products and things do happen. However, I have never bought an extended warranty on a vehicle before now but I may do so before the factory warranty expires.

·
Registered
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 in Silver Ice Metallic
235 Posts
Thanks, I have no reason to doubt what you say. These are mass produced products and things do happen. However, I have never bought an extended warranty on a vehicle before now but I may do so before the factory warranty expires.
I know that the conventional wisdom is that extended warranties are a waste of money, and that is probably still true, but from my personal experience I have purchased an extended warranty on 3 different vehicles and twice it has paid me back in spades. Once with a blown engine on a 2011 malibu, and once on my wifes 2014 town and country limited with a bunch of random electrical problems that no one can seem to fix (but keep looking at for free because of the warranty). I would never buy one on something that I can easily replace (such as a phone, toaster oven, or TV) but with todays cars and their complicated engines, electrical systems, and emissions systems I don't want to be stuck with a $5,000 repair bill on a car that I still owe $4500 on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Those old engines definitely came from the factory with less power/liter, but I think the loss if durability has more to do with the addition of complex emissions systems, mating materials of differing compositions to save weight, and an overall greater number of moving parts. My '97 12v Cummins puts down well over 350hp and 900tq to the wheels at 42psi boost, and has been doing so for 20yrs and 320k miles. Only regular maintenance. The Dodge wrapped around it, however, started falling apart in 2005...

I definitely understand being skeptical about the truck's durability moving forward, but I think the OP is among the statistical outliers, and I hope everything works out well in the long run.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Usually a siezed engine with no oil pressure will thow the oil warning lamp.
I would get an ob11 reader and pull the codes. Takes about 2 minutes. Sorry, but its like a second opinion.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I like the torque pro app, and obd bluetooth adapter, cost of app and adapter less than $25.
Put on wife's phone also and a reader in the terrain she drives..
She likes it, when I am out of town she can pull the codes and she sends to me.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
You're better off buying an extended warranty sooner. As a vehicles age/mileage goes up, so does the cost of extended warranties. Just like life insurance the older you get, the more expensive you become to insure.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
You're better off buying an extended warranty sooner. As a vehicles age/mileage goes up, so does the cost of extended warranties. Just like life insurance the older you get, the more expensive you become to insure.
There's also the other factor of them getting to keep your money longer, particularly if it's still in the factory warranty period.

101 - 120 of 166 Posts