Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have this issue(if its even a real issue)? Truck seems to run fine(drove 600 miles non stop). Nothin leakin or blowin smoke anywhere. One place said the i5s run hotter than most motors. The temp gauge only goes above when the outside temp is much over 70 F and vehicle is idling.

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 ZR2 Bison
234 Posts
Probably not the fuel cap. Gm's that I have owned that gave that code was due to a bad evap celluloid/ canister. I'm sure it's happened but I have never seen a new cap fix the issue. Some evaps are easy to swap, some not so much. I'm sure someone much more technical than I will chime in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2005 I5 Colorado with 260,000 miles on it. Bought it new and is the daily driver. My 2019 (bought new) sets most of the time.
I had the thermostat replaced last summer because it was running hot a little more than yours . (live in GEORGIA) My trusted mechanic installed it correctly and pressured checked the cooling system. i can not remember if he flushed the system. i would think he would have

The truck still runs a little hot at a prolonged idle. I think age and location have an impact on the temperature.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
what year? How many miles?

could be water pump
I doubt thermostat
radiator needs flushed/cleaned or replaced

next time it shows hot, turn the heater on with fan on high and see if it cools down. If it does, clean the radiator

heater core is a radiator in disguise

·
Registered
2021 Z71 CCLB
173 Posts
Older cars are built for older formulated gas. Modern gas with ethanol burns hotter, so trucks older than 2010 may overheat. That was my experience on two S10 trucks. I had to go to a custom triple core radiator to fix the problem

·
Premium Member
5,835 Posts
Couple of thoughts. It sounds weird, but depending on where a sending unit is mounted, a low coolant condition might not give an accurate engine temp reading. I have seen cars that read normal or below temps but there wasn't enough coolant in the engine to reach the sensor and the engine was actually running way hot.

Second thought is don't trust the dash gauge 100%. Buy a OBD reader and smart phone app and see what temps are running at. Analog dash gauges use stepper motors which have a history of being inaccurate and going bad, giving wrong readings even though the signal they are getting is right.

And yes, I have read the I5 had some heating issues, but what percentage of people having issues compared to those who never had an issue, I've no idea. Sometimes a handful of people can blow a problem way out of proportion.

·
Registered
2007 Colorado regular cab, 2.9L 2WD - check the oil and tires, drive sane, trust no one.
126 Posts
Speedometer Tachometer Odometer Trip computer Gauge

That's not necessarily hot. That could be normal for the new thermostat you likely bought. What was the temp setting for the replacement thermostat housing? My old thermostat was stuck open. Replaced it with 'new' from AdvanceAuto back in September. Gauge does exactly as yours.

Font Science Astronomical object Screenshot Space

·
Registered
10,476 Posts
I'm thinking 3/4 up on the gauge is A OK,
My old 2007 would get up like that at idle then quickly go down when I sped up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts