Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Had not seen this particular thread. There is one hill near where I live that causes the transmission to grade brake. Whether or not it does is dependent upon my using the brakes. Speed 40 mph+-, hard braking = 3rd gear downshift, light braking = 4th gear downshift, no braking = 5th gear downshift. This is how the grade braking should work.
I have encountered a glitch only twice where it downshifted to 2nd and the RPM went to close to 5,000, but it is just that, a glitch. Personally, I like the feature, when working properly it's almost exactly what I would do with a manual transmission, and the GM Performance exhaust sounds sweet backing down.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks guys.
I thought there was a better thread than the one I merged into, however I didn't read this to determine if it is what I wanted.

A thread with posts from 5/18 have been merged to this thread.
Thanks guys, a lot of good info.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I hate the feature also I'm in western pa and all hills coming down just about any hill it really downshifts too low and wont just stop if you touch the gas!!!! Ive had people honking their horn why this idiot is going so slow before it kicks off. Its a PITA.And that's pretty bad at 40K you have to shift your truck manually back and forth with an automatic transmission or run in tow haul mode REALLY
I totally agree, if I wanted to downshift going down a hill, I would have purchased a standard transmission.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I totally agree, if I wanted to downshift going down a hill, I would have purchased a standard transmission.
Isn't that sort of like saying: If I wanted it to downshift (to 1st) when I stop I would use manual mode? After all, it's an AUTOMATIC transmission.
I know you are not old enough to remember any cars with this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydramatic

Ah......technology and evolution.:surprise:

·
Premium Member
8,868 Posts
I manually shift my auto into 2nd gear descending a hill almost every day. No need to use the brakes several times on the hill when I can shift only twice.

Did it tonight on another one of my other hills, holds nicely at 45 with no braking.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a 10 mile downhill winding road that drops 4000'. I have always used manual mode , saves brakes and makes the drive easier. You can always smell the brake users, and see them with the lights on at every curve. It also helps having the exhaust brake with the Duramax.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I can see how it'd be annoying if you weren't expecting it to happen, but I myself love the auto grade braking feature. Having driven a stick shift in the past (the six speed manual in my old 2002 Acura RSX Type S), it just seems normal for me to do engine braking to save wear and tear on the brakes. I used to even do it out of habit on my last vehicle (2009 Mitsubishi Outlander w/paddle shifters). I had completely forgot that my Canyon has this feature until it kicked in on a steep decline I was on last Sunday. I was originally bummed out a little that the Canyon didn't have paddle shifters on it but instead only has the gear selector on the transmission shifting lever. Considering it's a truck I understood why GM didn't put them on it though. Now that I know my truck will engine brake automatically I won't miss them at all.

Not to sound like a jerk but maybe my truck wasn't built on a Monday or a Friday and I got a good one. :D I've had my Canyon for 12 days and I've put almost 1500 miles on it already; it's been an absolute blast to drive and I'm loving every second behind the wheel. The only time I noticed the transmission lag everyone's been complaining about and the engine revving to stupid high RPM levels was when I first picked up the truck and the dealer had filled the tank with 87 octane gas. Once I got used to the truck I did notice that the truck seemed slow to shift and seemed like couldn't get out of it's own way unless I floored it, but overall it was still driving better than my last vehicle was. I've been putting 92 octane in it though and it's been phenomenal ever since. Eventually I'll dial it back to 89 octane but I wanted to put some of the good stuff in the tank for the break-in period.

The behavior of the truck is literally a night and day difference on 92 octane vs 87. The shifting lag is gone, no lack of power in normal driving mode, tow/haul mode feels even more powerful now too, no dropping from sixth to third gear just to pass someone, no squeaks, rattles, etc. This truck is literally the first American vehicle I've ever bought and I'm completely blown away by how good it is. I know it's got 100 more HP than my old 2002 Acura RSX Type S that I had, but I swear this truck is a lot more fun to drive than that car ever was. It's a lot more comfortable too.

Reactions: videobored

·
Registered
151 Posts
Isn't that sort of like saying: If I wanted it to downshift (to 1st) when I stop I would use manual mode? After all, it's an AUTOMATIC transmission.
I know you are not old enough to remember any cars with this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydramatic

Ah......technology and evolution.:surprise:
I'm sure over time, just like everything else, we will get used to the downgrade braking. I just don't like the idea that my transmission is down shifting to a point that my rpm's are jumping 3000 and 4000. I don't need my transmission to do that for me, If I wanted to downshift that far going down a hill I would do it manually. I don't have problems with brakes wearing out. I live in a very hilly part of Pennslyvania and I get usually get anywhere from 60 to 80 K out of my brakes. I am loving the truck, I am just not a big fan of my transmission doing this for me.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
@Brownstone Metallic Z71 See Post #61. I believe you should have the programming checked. Revs should not go above 3-4,000 RPM (total) unless you are braking hard. Like I stated, my downshifts are brake dependent. Perhaps mine is the exception, not the rule. I do have to agree, an increase of 3-4,000 RPM is way too much.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks Chief, I only had the truck a few days. I will keep an eye on the downgrade braking to evaluate how it reacts before I jump to any conclusions. I was just startled the first time it happened, I thought I had a problem. This forum helped a lot.

Reactions: Chief2016

·
Registered
2 Posts
GMC Canyon downshifting down a steep grade or hill

I have a 2015 GMC Canyon and it does the same thing down a steep grade. You are going 55 mph and hit the brakes and the truck downshifts to 4k to 5k rpm's. This is very dangerous and would be terrible on a slick road. I am taking my truck in ASAP.

·
Registered
100 Posts
GMC Canyon downshifting down a steep grade or hill

I have a 2015 GMC Canyon and it does the same thing down a steep grade. You are going 55 mph and hit the brakes and the truck downshifts to 4k to 5k rpm's. This is very dangerous and would be terrible on a slick road. I am taking my truck in ASAP.
My Canyon downshifts down grades and its a safety concern

I will be getting my Canyon fixed or returning it under our states lemon law.
So has gmc or Chevy acknowledged this weird downshift when going down steep hill. I was in a hill yesterday and my 2016 GMC Canyon goes to 4K rpm and kixks my speed down to 15 miles an hour super unsafe. I’ve mentioned this to my dealer several times and they e said they can’t “replicate it” so they say my cars “ok”

really annoying. How do we get this fixed Its super unsafe loud and sounds like it’s on verge of explosion.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Had this down ship problem for years since I got it. The dealerships say it’s not common problem and that they can’t replicate it. Because they’re not driving it on a decline

really nnoting

what can be sone

·
Registered
1 Posts
Everyone still having this issue? i sure am witha 2016 COLORADO it downshifts too extreme when i'm going downhill.... is it jsut me?

So has gmc or Chevy acknowledged this weird downshift when going down steep hill. I was in a hill yesterday and my 2016 GMC Canyon goes to 4K rpm and kixks my speed down to 15 miles an hour super unsafe. I’ve mentioned this to my dealer several times and they e said they can’t “replicate it” so they say my cars “ok”

really annoying. How do we get this fixed Its super unsafe loud and sounds like it’s on verge of explosion.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
4,878 Posts
My 2017 will do that too. It is what the computer is programmed to do

61 - 79 of 79 Posts