Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would take them on that ride with you. Mine does engine breaking down steep hills after applying the brakes at times but no way lowering to a gear that would take it up to 6000 rpm.

Relative to the hvac whistling I hear that at high fan speeds as well and probably caused by a slight blow by one of the doors that directs air to whichever vent. Worth fixing? Probably not. I turn the radio up.

Back to the trans issue. I would say GM has some corrections to make relative to the shifting programming.

If you can't get them to take it for a test drive down your hill have someone record a video of this and show it to them

·
Registered
2018 Colorado Z71 V6 Crew Cab
11 Posts
That "grade braking" idea is ridiculous. there's no way a V6/mid-size/under 5,000lb pickup truck should rev like that just because you're going down a hill & want to slow down. If it was me, I'd either have them fix it(if they can), or get rid of it. Others here may be happy with this so-called "normal" condition, but I personally wouldn't....
I'm not sure but is this the same as "hill assist? I find it annoying and would rather find a way to turn it off. It can't be good for the tranny either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
No, it's not Hill Assist. Hill assist only works below 35mp/h.

I was driving around in manual to avoid grade brake kicking in, well, then when I need to brake all I have is the brakes, the engine does not downshift at all when in manual.
So it's either driving on your brakes or a high revving engine.

Guess all I can do now is wait for GM to release an update for the transmission computer, on this issue and the others people are posting left and right.

Again, thnx guys for the pointers and reply's !!

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Hill Assist is designed to keep the truck from rolling backwards when starting out from a stopped position on an incline. Nothing to do with slowing down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I experienced this trouble today. A hill I go down daily, normal grade braking around 3000 RPM. However today the truck suddenly felt like it was in 1st gear while going down the hill. Was at 5500 -6000 RPM. Definitely wasn't right. Will need to keep an eye on this now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've noticed this once or twice and I just apply the brake a little or hit the accelerator a bit to get it to shift in another gear. I also had a VW GLI that did the same thing in sport mode (which I always drove it in)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just experienced this same issue! I only have 1000 miles on it. Hopefully GM will be able to release a software fix soon. It is very annoying!

·
Registered
11,728 Posts

Also there is a whistle in the HVAC system, the small annoyance problems just keep coming.

Do a search on the air filter for the HVAC - there is an issue with how the factory was installing the cover, easy fix.

Can't believe the dealer "loaned" a Spark for a truck in for service. My dealer loaned me an Acadia for a week on my service.

I guess I am lucky - no large downhill grades to experience the downshift. Perhaps this fall when I head to the mountains.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I personally love the assist brake. It's going to save time and money from switching pads all the time. The truck at work is a diesel with an engine brake, it has 95k miles and still has the original pads on it and it tows skids 5 days a week.......... As long as the tranny holds up I am all for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The transmission is not going to last. No reason to save me dollars on brake pads only to have to spend thousands to replace the transmission or other engine issues that are going to arise. I live in a hilly area as well and experience this daily. I took it into the dealership and I had a video to prove what it was doing. 5k RPM going 40 MPH is crazy on a hill that wasn't too steep. It happens in various hilly situations at varying degree of RPMs but typically in the 4k to 5.5 k range on modest hills and speeds. The dealership said that doesn't seem right so loaned me a vehicle and came to the above conclusions, GM told them this was normal. Downhill mode grade braking. I am not at all happy with this feature. I wish I had a manual transmission. Nobody that experiences this can think that this is better for the Colorado than using the brakes. It makes no sense.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Spare the rod and spoil the child.
Spare the brakes and spoil the transmission.

Reactions: CaryBosse

·
Registered
578 Posts
Mine has done this a couple of times... Not extreme like 5k rpm... I think that GM should address this issue with a software update... Or not mind if we get a "tune" to stop this from happening... If that would do it !!! Anyone know if it would solve this issue ??? I love this truck but don't think it is doing something right... LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 Colorado Z71 crew cab short bed....same thing today for the first time. Driving down a grade that was moderately steep and riding the brakes when it kicked in. Revving higher than I liked but when I leveled out it shifted back. 670 miles on it...wondering if this will be an issue and does it only kick in when you're riding the brakes down a hill? Love to found out if this is truly normal!!! Love my truck otherwise.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I recently had the July 1, 2015 update to the ECM and TCM. The double downshift that I had when scrubbing off speed (70 to 55 on a 8% grade) now only 1 downshifts one gear. I'm old school, I'm not a fan of this transmission.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
I recently had the July 1, 2015 update to the ECM and TCM. The double downshift that I had when scrubbing off speed (70 to 55 on a 8% grade) now only 1 downshifts one gear. I'm old school, I'm not a fan of this transmission.
I think that a lot of the issues, especially for truck owners, we are old school. We tend to want to have control of our vehicle. For much the same reason, people who drive sports cars and trucks are more likely to be the people who desire a manual transmission.

Two pronged issue here, with one prong leading the other. A lot of drivers today view a vehicle in the same way they view their Ipad, phone, etc. They want the technology to do it all for them without having to think. The other prong to the issue, is leading us further down this road that blurs the boundaries of do we drive the car or does the car drive us is the need for better and better fuel efficiency. The manufacturers have to take charge of the vehicle in ways only George Orwell could have imagined just a few yeas ago in order to achieve these mileage numbers. This drives the technology forward in a direction that confounds many of us.

I don't have the time to do this, but I would love to see someone collect 10 of these trucks, perhaps 5 from owners with the most persistent issues with regards to shifting, and 5 from owners with little to no noticeable issues. Then let at least one of the drivers of the first 5 drive all 10 trucks on a route that they choose and a route the other driver chooses. The second driver would choose a route familiar to him or her and drive all 10 trucks on both routes.

What I am trying to figure out is whether this is an issue of all trucks behave the same way under certain circumstances or do some trucks just behave badly? Further, do some of you just drive so much differently than me that the problems you are having just really stand out?

If we laid our trucks out on a line from worst performing to best performing, I think my truck would fall somewhere in the middle but closer to the better end of the line. There is room for improvement, and I think that a slight adjustment to the transmission program will do it. Can't wait to get a chance to find out.

·
Registered
2018 Colorado Z71 V6 Crew Cab
11 Posts
The transmission is not going to last. No reason to save me dollars on brake pads only to have to spend thousands to replace the transmission or other engine issues that are going to arise. I live in a hilly area as well and experience this daily. I took it into the dealership and I had a video to prove what it was doing. 5k RPM going 40 MPH is crazy on a hill that wasn't too steep. It happens in various hilly situations at varying degree of RPMs but typically in the 4k to 5.5 k range on modest hills and speeds. The dealership said that doesn't seem right so loaned me a vehicle and came to the above conclusions, GM told them this was normal. Downhill mode grade braking. I am not at all happy with this feature. I wish I had a manual transmission. Nobody that experiences this can think that this is better for the Colorado than using the brakes. It makes no sense.

Until the factory has a fix just put the trans in manual. This works for me. Once I'm off the hill I put it back in drive.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The transmission is not going to last.
Pure speculation. What evidence do you have that this feature will prematurely kill the 6L50? Better yet, what is the mechanism by which you think grade braking will kill the 6L50?

No one has had a Canyon or Colorado transmission die from overtaxing of the transmission through grade braking yet. Furthermore none of us have all of the information necessary to begin to determine whether the grade braking in the twins will appreciably decrease the transmission lifespan. The only people who have all the needed information, and who have actually run the numbers decided that the transmission could handle grade braking wear/loads when they designed the truck. You can dislike the feature all you want, but no one here can say with any credibility that it will affect the longevity of the vehicle.

Personally, of the 13k I've put on my truck thus far, probably 4k-5k has been tooling up and down the rockies, where engine braking is enormously helpful and in some places a necessity (try coming down Pikes Peak without engine braking), and the Colorado has been great for me.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts