Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just popped up on the screen.. ! ENGINE POWER IS REDUCED
Has anyone seen this? Have not had opportunity to hook up a scanner or get into dealer yet.
2015 Colorado 4cyl.

The Manual says:
This message displays.. blah blah. when cooling system gets to hot --- Nope Temps are fine

The Manual says: This message also displays when the vehicle's power is reduced. Reduced engine power can affect the vehicles ability to accelerate. If this message is on, but there is no reduction in performance, proceed to your destination -- OK Im Home

The Manual says:The performance may be reduced the next time the vehical is driven. blah blah... Anytime the message stays on, the vehicle should be taken to your dealer for service as soon as possible.

WTF? Any hints, suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had a trouble code on my '04 Colorado, concerning the low oil pressure. The fix was a new oil pressure sensor, which was a known issue on Gen 1.

Looks like yours is stuck.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Looks like your truck went into *LIMP MODE*

We had a Grand Cherokee that went into a 'LIMP MODE' while we were towing. I can't remember exactly what the problem was - a sensor of some sort, throttle position sensor, or transmission sensor (can't remember, was a long time ago).

What happens is.... the sensor is faulty and is not sending the proper signals /data. Since these signals are important to other functions.... THe truck doesn't know what to do - so it puts itself into LIMP MODE so you don't destroy anything (transmission/engine).

When in Limp Mode - the power is greatly reduced and shifting is very limited/harsh (on Grand Cherokee anyway).

Get yourself to the dealer and have them fix it (if under warranty). If not - have the codes pulled and find out what you need.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
mine just did similar a few days ago one mile after leaving the house.
the stabilitrak light came on, message reduced power, it limited speed to near whatever i was driving at, it was holding shifts longer and higher rpm. after a while stabilitrak cleared itself but check engine light stayed on until later at the gas station i shut it down and started a couple times and then that light went out and it lived happily ever after...so far

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
happened twice in 20 days
code stored. dealer had it 2 days and had GM TAC help them figure it out. loose pin in multi-pin connector at accelerator pedal sending various erroneous voltages to ecm. ecm sends bad info to another computer. stabilitrak can't understand, check engine light comes on. all resets itself eventually after turning off and restarting a couple times. GM told them to disconnect 101 connector permanently, solder all pins in place, rewire from emc block to whatever, blah blah blah.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
happened twice in 20 days
code stored. dealer had it 2 days and had GM TAC help them figure it out. loose pin in multi-pin connector at accelerator pedal sending various erroneous voltages to ecm. ecm sends bad info to another computer. stabilitrak can't understand, check engine light comes on. all resets itself eventually after turning off and restarting a couple times. GM told them to disconnect 101 connector permanently, solder all pins in place, rewire from emc block to whatever, blah blah blah.
Just curious, was a Pedal Commander on it when this happened? Or before? Thats a strange problem, seen stranger than it too though....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same issue on the V6 with the Pedal Commander. The truck wouldn't even accelerate the slightest bit. Read this thread, disconnected and reconnected the Pedal Commander and the stabilitrak error went away and could drive the truck again. Still have the check engine light but I'm assuming that will go away in a few starts. Guessing the connector was just bumped loose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Pedal Commander was hooked up when my stabilitrak came on and I was driving 65 miles an hour and lost power. It was very scary. I don't know if it's the truck that has an issue or if it's the Pedal Commander. It has happened twice on me so far. The first time they couldn't figure it out so he changed the ECM, the second time it came on he said it was just showing the code from the first time P2138. I don't have the PC hooked up because I'm trying to see if it comes on again without it. I will probably sell my PC.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Old thread, but in 2 years, this has happened 4 times. same lights stablitrak, Limp mode, engine light etc. The 1st time it happened, I went straight to the dealer, by the time he restarted the truck all lights cleared and no codes we're to be found. No pedal commander or other mods made to the truck. The only thing common to all 4 times is I did not drive the truck for 3 days. All the lights clear after 4 starts or less.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Just curious, was a Pedal Commander on it when this happened? Or before? Thats a strange problem, seen stranger than it too though....
it was disconnected. dealer found the issue and the truck performs like it did when new instead of sluggish acceleration. hasn't happened again but shifting issues haven't disappeared tho and those seem to appear when trans temp is 135-150.
finally fed up with that and reported it to NHSTA

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bumping an old thread. This just happened to me this morning. I can't get into the dealer till next Tuesday. Glad it's still under warranty, but am I ok to drive this in the meantime? Other than the fact that I have to take back roads everywhere since it tops out at about 25MPH. I don't plan on really taking it, but I do have to get home from work today (about 35 miles)

2016 Z71
30,500 miles

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have you tried restarting the truck 3 or 4 times? Allow a couple of minutes after turning it off before restarting.
If that doesn't help, maybe disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes, then hook it up and try again.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
I haven't tried that yet. I limped it to work and it's been parked since. I will check in a while.
It wouldn't bother me to drive it as long as it's not getting hot, or the oil pressure is low, making a noise, that kind of thing. Chances are it's an electronic thing like a sensor that is bad. Just take it easy and pay attention. At least it's under warranty if it explodes on the way home right? ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know I'm doing this wrong,sorry. My 2006 Colorado also has redused power message. Shows PO 601 code. Will run for 2 or 3 minutes, then die. I wait 2 or 3 minutes more, and it will start again. I was told to buy a PCM online, have it flashed, by giving them vin and odometer readings. Then install it myself. Does this sound right? I think I can do it if I can figure out how to unplug the wires. Any advice?

·
Registered
968 Posts
I know I'm doing this wrong,sorry. My 2006 Colorado also has redused power message. Shows PO 601 code. Will run for 2 or 3 minutes, then die. I wait 2 or 3 minutes more, and it will start again. I was told to buy a PCM online, have it flashed, by giving them vin and odometer readings. Then install it myself. Does this sound right? I think I can do it if I can figure out how to unplug the wires. Any advice?
This is the Gen 2 section (2015+)... for a 2006 try this area of the forum:

https://www.coloradofans.com/forums/78-1st-gen-engine-talk-i4-i5-v8/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.