Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we're back on the road with our travel trailer today and I finally have my torque app up and running. This past week during normal driving, everything was fine and the oil temp ran around 10°F lower than the coolant temp and once in a while it matched the coolant temp. This morning while towing the trailer (4500 lbs) I see the oil temp running higher than the coolant and staying higher. With all of the talk about the transmission issues, I expected the trans to be running hotter than it does, but not the engine oil. Is anyone running an aftermarket oil cooler for towing or is anyone even monitoring oil temps?

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Personally I see no issues with this due to it not being that much higher than water temp. Which is typically your block temp. But if you're towing a lot it would probably not hurt to have an oil cooler.

Then again I'm no ASE certified mechanic.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I guess I'm used to seeing cooler oil temperatures since I drive mostly highway during early morning hours when it's allot cooler. I just googled it, which I should have done first, and see that synthetic oils are made to run much hotter than the 213° F that I'm experiencing. I'm still curious if anyone else is monitoring oil temp via torque or another app.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Don't worry about it, oil temps will typically rise as higher RPMs are maintained while towing which pumps oil through faster and the oil cooler doesn't have time to pull as much heat out of the oil.

Synthetic oil is good for 275F-300F oil temps or more. I've seen 250F towing up long grades with my diesel and I've seen 270F oil temps with my V8 track car after 20 minutes of hard driving at the track. Neither of those concern me, oil pressure is also still just fine as well.

I believe GM has the oil overtemp warning set to around 280-285F. I wouldn't give a second thought to oil temps not matching coolant temps and I wouldn't start thinking about cutting back on how hard the engine is working until at least 260F, which you are unlikely to ever experience.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Rule of thumb as I learned it is engine oil within 30 degrees of coolant temp is perfectly acceptable and normal. Granted this was in race boats but still, 240-250 on the oil there.

Huh. First time I've heard of a vehicle that came with an engine oil temperature sensor. That's kinda neat.
My 84 vette has one. (From the factory you toggle the DIC between oil pressure and oil temp) Most of the LS stuff can have it and I believe the new era OLM uses it as a sensor for its calculations. I've seen it in a few vehicles over the years... but usually more performance orientated.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
For anyone still worried about "high" oil (or coolant) temps, check out what the Ram 1500 Rebel was running at when it reached the top of the Ike towing max tow/payload. Makes my 250F oil and ~220F coolant MAX temps going up similar grades and elevations in Colorado seem like no big deal. The Ram in the video wasn't de-rating, either. FYI, this was from TFLTruck's series on them torture-testing the new Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil, which is a dexos1 gen2 oil for you gas truck owners. Those trans temps look great, though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
For anyone still worried about "high" oil (or coolant) temps, check out what the Ram 1500 Rebel was running at when it reached the top of the Ike towing max tow/payload. Makes my 250F oil and ~220F coolant MAX temps going up similar grades and elevations in Colorado seem like no big deal. The Ram in the video wasn't de-rating, either. FYI, this was from TFLTruck's series on them torture-testing the new Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil, which is a dexos1 gen2 oil for you gas truck owners. Those trans temps look great, though.

View attachment 380761
And look at that... still below where the oil would start breaking down in its protection. :LOL:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Huh. First time I've heard of a vehicle that came with an engine oil temperature sensor. That's kinda neat.
My '16 BMW 535i has an oil temp gauge but not a coolant temp gauge. On a long drive in warm weather the oil temp runs around 240-245 degrees. The oil temp should be higher than the coolant temp as the coolant removes heat from the engine and the oil is near engine temp. Where are your temp sensors located?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My '16 BMW 535i has an oil temp gauge but not a coolant temp gauge. On a long drive in warm weather the oil temp runs around 240-245 degrees. The oil temp should be higher than the coolant temp as the coolant removes heat from the engine and the oil is near engine temp. Where are your temp sensors located?
No idea where the oil temp sensor is. It's one of the sensors detected through the Torque App via the OBD II port.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts