Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used 2015 chevy Colorado recently. I have a question if anyone could please help me.. Is it normal that the engine says it has almost 4,000 engine hours on it.. But only has about 55,000 miles.. ?? Something seems fishy. Let me know your thoughts. Im pretty sure ive been had and sold a straight lemon.. Carfax report seems fudged.. "Fleet vehicle" sold and bought from online auction come to find out. Guess from what state... Texas. There is rust inside the cab under the dash.. And the entire underside of truck is rusted. Dealership said its " normal" . i beg to differ. As soon as i figure out how to post photos on here I will.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Something isn't quite right there it seems unless that truck did a ton of idling. The conversions I've seen is about 60 miles per engine hour which would be about 240,000 in your scenario.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Typically, vehicles will average around 35MPH for most drivers. If we do the math for your truck that comes out to 13.75MPH average. That isn't normal at all. On the flip side, GM engine hour meters are known to be flaky sometimes, at least on the older 6.6 diesels.

Texas...fleet vehicle...very low average MPH...sounds like it was an oil field truck that idled for hours on end if the hour meter and miles are accurate. I would expect closer to 1,500 hours on the engine if it truly has 55,000 miles. If you suspect odometer tampering then that would mean the truck/engine could be closer to 140,000 miles. I would reach out to your local GM dealer's service department and see what maintenance and repair records they have for your VIN to see if any discrepancies show up.

Something does seem fishy, but it's hard to say exactly why or if something was tampered with.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
The industry standard is between 30-35 miles per hour. Thus, your engine theoretically has 120,000-140,000 miles on it. Thats a ton of idling time, thats for damn sure.

I work as a govt fleet mechanic and we use the 35 mph standard as we have a ton of cop cars that sit idling at intersections 24 hours a day thus, the mileage is useless to us when determining when a vehicle needs maintenance.

I wont say you got a lemon but, you definitely dont have a 55K mileage vehicle in your possession.

As for rust underneath, Im calling bullshit on that being normal. I live in the North East where you drive on layers of salt all winter long, and there isnt a spot of rust on my 2016.

Any chance you can refuse the sale and send it back? Unless you got it for a steal of a price, Id be very worried if I were you.

·
Registered
939 Posts
My cousin used to work out at the airport and they would sit in the car or truck and it just would idle all day and when they drove between gates or back to their terminal they’d drive max of like 10-15mph wonder if it came from a situation like that

·
Registered
351 Posts
My cousin used to work out at the airport and they would sit in the car or truck and it just would idle all day and when they drove between gates or back to their terminal they’d drive max of like 10-15mph wonder if it came from a situation like that
My Older Brother worked as a Security Guard in the early 90's for a Up Scale Gated Apartment Complex and probably 90 % time just sat in a Vehicle with it running always most of those vehicles had very low miles on them but had Tons of Hours on them .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Toughsox.. I'm new to this page.. How can I post pictures on here? It shows that it wants me to drag attachments but I have no idea how to do that from my phone. Lmao. i want to show u what im dealing with.. I didnt get a good price.. This is actually my husbands doing.. I wasnt there when it went down.. But they totally took advantage of a first time buyer. I think the truck was a flood damage vehicle that was sold on an online auction then pieced together and repaired to sale. I probably should just start a new thread and tell the story for the beginning. Im in need of some serious advice.. I keep getting told everything is "normal" by the shady ass dealership.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Take the truck to a different dealer, one for GM if the truck wasn’t bought from a GM dealer, and have them pull up the history like I mentioned in my previous post. They can also give you their opinion on the truck’s condition. If their records can prove fraud then tell the selling dealer they can either undo the deal and refund any money and return any trade-in or you will take this info to the state’s attorney general. I would also then look for an attorney that would be interested in taking on a fraud case on contingency so you’re not out any money.

It sounds like the selling dealer has no interest in helping you find the truth so I would stop wasting your time dealing with them until you’re able to get some more information from a different dealer.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
I bought a 3 year old car out of Los Angeles last year and the car's computer said an average of 17 mph and 15 mpg. I thought the dealer got the car in and reset everything and the drove it to a nearby gas station for a fill-up. After driving 50 miles or so I checked again and there was no change. The three year old car had about 18,000 miles on it apparently in stop and go LA traffic - it really gets 26+ mpg at an average speed of 36+ mph.

The point is that the 4,000 hours may be correct.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Toughsox.. I'm new to this page.. How can I post pictures on here? It shows that it wants me to drag attachments but I have no idea how to do that from my phone.
On your phone it is a lot easier to access the forum using the Tapatalk app. I find forums almost impossible to use using a web browser on a phone. Download Tapatalk, search forums for coloradofans and sign in. Then when you post it'll look like this.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
It really is going to depend on where you are and how the truck was used. My commute home 5 days a week is 38 miles. It usually takes me 90 minutes, but there are days that it's over 2 hours. You'll get the same sort of average speed in LA or NYC.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Does the 2016 Colorado LT have the Hour Meter? If so, where is it, and how do I pull it Up? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Does the 2016 Colorado LT have the Hour Meter? If so, where is it, and how do I pull it Up? Thanks.

If your truck has the up-level DIC then the hour meter can be enabled in the DIC's Info settings within the "Edit List" area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would worry more about the rust than the hour-meter versus mileage. Thousands of salvage vehicles from flooding could have ended back up on the market without being recorded as such. High hours and low miles means that it most likely idled for a majority of it’s life or like another guy said it could have been a job site vehicle that never accumulated miles at a normal rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
378 Posts
Will have to look to see where my engine hrs are with 48k miles. But my work van idles almost as many hrs a day as it is driven. When its hot out I use the van to escape the heat while idling with A/C on, if its cold out and I need to warm up, jump in the van and fire up the heater. Point is if its a fleet vehicle it is very likely that it sat idling a lot. Texas is hot in the summer right? I bet it sat with the A/C running a lot during those hot summer days.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
14,600 miles and about 382 engine hours.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
21 Participants
hand foot maneuver
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing