Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Midnight Z71 3.6l
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying g to keep it nice lol.

Is it safe to power wash engine compartment? What should I do?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Personally...I wouldn’t. Too many electronics under the hood.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I'm trying g to keep it nice lol.

Is it safe to power wash engine compartment? What should I do?
Youtube has some good videos on this. Look at ones from ChrisFix.

I wouldn't use a power washer. In all the cars and trucks I've owned . . too many, I usually just wrapped the alternator, air intake, etc and any other vulnerable electrics with plastic bags from stores and fastened with tape.

Then lightly sprayed the under hood with 409, Fantastik, or some similar cleaner. Then a light mist of water with the hose nozzle and scrub lightly with a large 4" or 5" paint brush. Do the hood underside first by the way.

The key is to mist regularly with the hose nozzle to keep things wet.

Then I would give all of it a good light rinse with water again till no more soap suds are seen.

Let it sit for 20 or 30 minutes or use a low powered leaf blower to help get rid of water that may settle in some nooks and crannies. Don't force water into electrical connectors.

Others may have other ways, but never had a problem with doing it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I use the pressure washer, but I don't get the nozzle close to anything that matters. I cover the alternator with a plastic bag.
Most recently, I hosed down engine with the foam cannon, and rinsed it with the pressure washer. I blow everything dry with the lawn blower and air compressor before I crank the engine. Looks good, no issues.

·
Registered
560 Posts
My life experience with this; I had a Tacoma for almost 20 years that I would periodically spray with Simple Green or Foamy Engine Bright then hose off with the garden hose, never a problem. My wife had a Nissan 200sx and I tried the same thing but it immediately killed the alternator. Some months later I tried it again thinking the first time was a fluke, but nope killed that alternator immediately too. Immediately as in it did not ever work after getting wet, odd since I directly hosed the alternator in the Tacoma without problem. Now I have a 2017 Colorado Diesel, I've used Simple Green and a garden hose a couple of times, but being careful to not soak the alternator and so far so good.

Everything under the hood should be reasonably water resistant because it's going to get wet if you drive in a big rain storm. But I would avoid a pressure washer (or spraying things directly with a hard stream from a garden hose sprayer) as that could easily push water into things that are only splash resistant. Also take a drive after to get things hot so it dries off quickly and completely.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I generally use a spray cleaner like Grease lightning and then use a hose with a water nozzle where I can control the direction and pressure. I also shield electronics and harness connection.

It helps much today that most engines are not leaking oil so much of this is dust today not grease so the removal is easy. Often much of it just needs wiped down with a detailer.

I know the trouble is with the real off road people who can cake mud everywhere. Even the worldly know it all old men don’t have enough detailed for this. That is where the low pressurecwater comes in. Also most real off road people really know what yo do as most have been doing this for years. They also have to contend with rivers and creeks.

Generally we have water tight connections and sealed electronics today and as long as they have no high pressure water focused on them you are safe.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I guess I've always been a tad paranoid about actually spraying water under the hood with all the modern electrical crap under there. I just wipe everything best I can and call it a day.

Reactions: 93Duc

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've hosed down engine compartments for decades. The key, as others have said, is to not direct water where the road spray wouldn't normally go and use lower pressure. KISS principle!!

Guys on the motorcycle forum are like "don't wash your bike" I reply: I assume Yamaha figured we'd get caught in the rain every once in a while... :)

Don't overdo it and I think you should be fine. And, yes, definitely run the car right afterwards to dry things off and use leaf blower. car sitting in driveway getting rained on all night is pretty dry under the hood. Same car driving in the rain is wet BUT things are at operating temp.

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
854 Posts
Personally I would hand clean as much as possible. Garden hose pressure at max. Never tried chems to clean anything I drive but I never really detailed under the hood of something this tight- just old school V8’s. My past 3 new vehicles just get spot cleaned once a year with an oily rag.

·
Registered
2019 Midnight Z71 3.6l
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My truck is spotless inside and out. I'd like to keep it clean under the hood as well.

My other truck is for dirt roads and 2 tracks. This one is my nice ride and I plan on keeping it nice. Yeah I guess the pressure washer was a bad idea I just used detail spray and a rag, it wasn't even dirty anyways lol.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
If you use the new Blue Tooth hose, you can dial in the pressure via your smart phone.
Usually wash the engine after checking the blinker fluid....
Very good tip . . . LOL
Anymore. . much of any task on our trucks can be enhanced and aided with Blue Tooth. Much today is much too complex as much is best relegated to technology at hand even so and too .

Note, it helps to update your phone to the latest iFoney Quantum XQM with 6G for future planning as this too will come to pass and people will be much amazed at all you know and much impressed with what wordy diatribes are issued on most any and all subjects. :) (y) - - LOL

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
My truck is spotless inside and out. I'd like to keep it clean under the hood as well.

My other truck is for dirt roads and 2 tracks. This one is my nice ride and I plan on keeping it nice. Yeah I guess the pressure washer was a bad idea I just used detail spray and a rag, it wasn't even dirty anyways lol.

Nice and clean is. . .. well nice !

If not filthy with built up road gorp under the hood, always easier to keep on top of it with some detail spray . I've done that for years also. (y)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys on the motorcycle forum are like "don't wash your bike" I reply: I assume Yamaha figured we'd get caught in the rain every once in a while... :)
I hear this all the time, and it cracks me up as well. Like you said, you'd think Yamaha would expect that me riding my FJR might get caught in the rain now and then. In fact, I've gotten caught in many rain storms. You know what? My bike still runs like a top. I routinely wash my bike with a foam cannon. No issues.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I use a degreaser or soap of some kind, sometimes a car wash gizmo and go crazy with the water hose. You guys still worried about getting water in the distributer cap? lol

p.s. pressure washer? I would be careful with it but would use it if need be.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts

gross, use water too.

Reactions: 93Duc
1 - 20 of 25 Posts