Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my alternator replaced and I have two readiness monitors that are incomplete:
Exhaust gas sensor
PM filter monitor
How do I get these to complete?
I have Biscan and did a regeneration to fix two others and can't figure out how to fix these two.
If you have any readiness codes incomplete here in Nevada, You fail the smog test.

Thanks,
Skip H.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I tried looking for the drive cycle that is needed to allow all of the readiness codes to be set for the diesel previously and didn't have any luck, but if I remember right the most common drive cycle involves a few minutes idling, a few minutes low speed driving, and a bit of high-speed (highway/freeway 55+) driving to allow the computer to run through all the emissions checks. Most shops just tell folks to drive the vehicle and come back in a few days. There is no way that I know of to set all of the readiness codes without actually putting miles on the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Every vehicle is different. Some need 2 drive cycles with you hitting a specific miles per hour, some are decided upon by driving time. Some want X miles at city speeds and some at highway speeds. Its a huge pain in the butt because even across the same manufacturer, it can be different based on a different engine, or different from year to year.

Wish there was a cut and dry method but there isnt.

Now, having said that, its possible one of our diesel guys has the actual answer but short of that, Ive had to go150 miles in a car over a period of a week before all the monitors reset.

Come on you diesel guys, chime in. :wink2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have driven in town, out of town, around town and up and down town, and 70-75 mph for 250 miles now. Yee Gads, what does it take....
I know they disconnected the battery when they replaced the alternator, They shoulda kept power on the ECU... But they don't care.
It runs good but won't pass smog at this time.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have driven in town, out of town, around town and up and down town, and 70-75 mph for 250 miles now. Yee Gads, what does it take....
I'm having the same issue after a battery disconnect... did you resolve the issue and what was your results?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Hope not, just replaced my battery, but I have 8 months for the monitors to go to ready status. I will have to check mine. I wanted to see if my Actron OBD II scanner that I bought in 2004 will work on my 2016 gas truck.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Should be just until the readiness monitors reset, with the correct amount of driving cycles. Give it a month or so and check it again.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hold steady at 55mph for 3 minutes. That is not possible anywhere near me.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Just found this, do not know how accurate it is!

Thanks... Its worth a try if I can find some nearby road that will accommodate those requirements

I did find this in the Diesel Manual

See Page 20... (Same information in the 2016 Duramax supplement manual)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
UPDATE..

330 miles/10 days of various driving and finally reset.... I'm sure the smog tech was getting tired of me coming in every other day so I got a cheap Innova scan tool and checked daily til it showed a green light

Disclosure...."Your results may vary"

Lesson learned: DO NOT disconnect battery prior to an emissions test

1 - 13 of 13 Posts