Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looking at one of the newest diesel supeliments for the 2.8l they (GM) now recomend running fuel additives for non top tier diesel (almost every diesel fuel sold in the US right now). My 2016 they said it was not needed.:rolleyes:
I'm not perfect on keeping up on recommendations, so hopefully I have not harmed my baby-max. I have been running diesel kleen for a few years now, and especially when I go north in winter (run white bottle up there). I hope that in doing so keeps my HPFP happy, in turn keeps me and my wallet happy. :D

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Can you post the supplement? I would be curious to know what the purpose is. i.e. change the cetane, add lubrication, etc.. IMHO, to release a vehicle that cannot run on common local fuel without additives would be a product failure.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Looking at one of the newest diesel supeliments for the 2.8l they (GM) now recomend running fuel additives for non top tier diesel (almost every diesel fuel sold in the US right now). My 2016 they said it was not needed.:rolleyes:

The supplement may not have been updated, but the above says it's recommended for 2014-up diesels. Now to find the MSDS and try and figure out what's in it and/or who makes it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Can you post the supplement? I would be curious to know what the purpose is. i.e. change the cetane, add lubrication, etc.. IMHO, to release a vehicle that cannot run on common local fuel without additives would be a product failure.
Its GMs conditioner they call for of course. Cetane, cold flow, lubricity, and injector cleaner.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
TSB - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10166665-9999.pdf

Here's the OEM product - POWERGUARD - INNOSPEC

Hot Shot's Secret Winter Anti-Gel contains the same stuff in relatively similar amounts as well as some additional components. I run HSS EDT, which also has much of the same stuff, because it's easier to dose than Diesel Kleen, and will use HSS Winter Anti-Gel in the, well, winter.

Of course GM isn't going to recommend non-GM additives, but if you don't want to pay GM crazy money then I would say HSS or Diesel Kleen would be the ones I'd use (and have used), but you're welcome to use whatever you think is best or nothing at all, of course. I've had the best luck in terms of noticeable improvement in smoothness and quietness with Diesel Kleen and HSS so those are my go-to.

Reactions: Duken4evr

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
They don't qualify what "top tier" diesel is, so it must be all marketing BS to sell their additive. I've never seen a gas station advertise "top tier" diesel. It seems the same as after market oil additives to me; if it was that important, it would already be in there. And if it were critical, the manufacturer would have a standard for it. i.e. the diesel fuel equivalent of dexos2, DEXRON-VI, GL-4/5, DOT-4/5.1, etc..

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
They don't qualify what "top tier" diesel is, so it must be all marketing BS to sell their additive. I've never seen a gas station advertise "top tier" diesel. It seems the same as after market oil additives to me; if it was that important, it would already be in there. And if it were critical, the manufacturer would have a standard for it. i.e. the diesel fuel equivalent of dexos2, DEXRON-VI, GL-4/5, DOT-4/5.1, etc..
Top Tier diesel is a standard, just like Top Tier gas. It's not a GM thing so it's not up to them to tell you what Top Tier diesel is.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Interesting, something new to learn every day! That said; what a useless standard! It looks like it's only sold under 2 brands in the USA (Kirkland Signature is a Costco brand and Fast Stop and Fast Stop Express are related), only Costco is in Florida, and I've yet to see a Costco that has diesel. So in short, there's no where within driving distance of my house that I could even buy "Top Tier" diesel even if I wanted to, and no where in all of Florida (the whole east coast maybe?) to buy it without a membership to Costco. So that most definitely has to be 100% a marketing move by GM to sell their additive.

GM surely must have designed the truck to run on the quality of diesel fuel that is typically sold at retail locations in the USA without special additives. Failing to do so would be so retarded that GM would know better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Interesting, something new to learn every day! That said; what a useless standard! It looks like it's only sold under 2 brands in the USA (Kirkland Signature is a Costco brand and Fast Stop and Fast Stop Express are related), only Costco is in Florida, and I've yet to see a Costco that has diesel. So in short, there's no where within driving distance of my house that I could even buy "Top Tier" diesel even if I wanted to, and no where in all of Florida (the whole east coast maybe?) to buy it without a membership to Costco. So that most definitely has to be 100% a marketing move by GM to sell their additive.

GM surely must have designed the truck to run on the quality of diesel fuel that is typically sold at retail locations in the USA without special additives. Failing to do so would be so retarded that GM would know better.

View attachment 408217
Or since the noted problems with injectors and fuel pump it gives them another excuse to say your fuel system didnt fail because of fuel pump and injectors we sourced.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Costco is not only in Florida. Ours advertise "top tier" fuels on both the gas and diesel pumps in the midwest. However, not all Costco stations sell Diesel.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Costco is not only in Florida. Ours advertise "top tier" fuels on both the gas and diesel pumps in the midwest. However, not all Costco stations sell Diesel.
Of those brands only Costco is in Florida, not Costco is only in Florida.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: MattFL

·
Registered
2018 GMC Canyon
209 Posts
Top Tier diesel is a standard, just like Top Tier gas. It's not a GM thing so it's not up to them to tell you what Top Tier diesel is.

Well, that's awesome. The closest confirmed Top Tier diesel retailer to me is the Fast Stop in Spring Green WI. There is a Fast Stop only 2 hours away in Marquette, but they don't list them as having 'Top Tier' diesel on their site. Sorry, GM, I'm not driving 6 hours for fuel. I'll keep hitting the local Holiday station and using Opti-Lube, I guess.

I like how they list 4 retail brands, Costco, Fast Stop, Fast Stop Express, and Kirkland Signature. In reality, it's 2 retail brands, since CostCo sells Kirkland and Fast Stop Express is the same company as Fast Stop.

Reactions: custom90gt

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Nevermind

Reactions: nullptr

·
Registered
2018 GMC Canyon
209 Posts
That link with additional brands is for gas, not diesel.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Yeah, I realized that after looking it over again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
In reading various posts on here a year or so back, I decided to go with diesel kleen.

Also, I figured if Cummins recommends it, that should carry some weight, even though not a duramax, still respected engine builder.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've discovered that the local Kum & Go (terrible damn name) sells diesel with it already added and it's only $.09 a gallon more than the local shell so I've started running that.

·
ColoradoFans.com Site Sponsors
292 Posts
@GreenDiesel Great info, thank you very much! Final question; relative the OEM tune, do you run higher fuel rail pressures for the same power output?

Allowing the TC to slip slightly to soak up vibrations is an interesting decision on GM's part, perhaps that explains why the OEM tune doesn't lock it up as much (comfort over function). I wonder if that decision led to a lot of the TC shudder issues. Is it plausible that some imperfection led to more slipping than intended, overheating and polishing the clutch surfaces, leading to the shudder when it is intended to slip slightly?

Time to count the days remaining on my warranty. :)

At full load GM limits rail pressure to 2000 bar, GDE does not change this. FYI, the fuel system in the 2019+ vehicles is rated for up to 2500 bar, but GM elected to not change peak fuel pressure above 2000 bar.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
At full load GM limits rail pressure to 2000 bar, GDE does not change this. FYI, the fuel system in the 2019+ vehicles is rated for up to 2500 bar, but GM elected to not change peak fuel pressure above 2000 bar.
That must be related to the fuel injector change, perhaps their thinking is that beefier injectors with the same max pressure as before would be less prone to cracking tips.

The question then becomes...what would be involved in fitting the new injectors to pre-2019 engines? At the least it would be injectors and supply lines to the injectors since the location of the fuel inlet on the injectors has changed, but beyond that...?

Reactions: RedEyeB20

·
Registered
152 Posts
Its certainly a whole new OS # so you’re likely SOL, but hopefully someone else will chime in. Maybe if you can find all the tables changed between the two systems you can do it in hpt/udp. The 19 uses a t43 so it might be doable to load the whole os and segment swap?

81 - 100 of 110 Posts