Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched here and on the net and can't seem to find an answer.

The frame on my 2017 Colorado appears to be e-coated (not a thick wax finish). Did GM e-coat the Colorado/Canyon frames at some point as opposed to the old method of "waxing" them, which they supposedly still do on the full size models?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I've read about a wax like coating that is used as a rust and corrosion proofing. It seems to be avaliable in the snow and salt states, I could not find any installers here in Orygun. I believe it's a petroleum byproduct.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Read a little more online and this is what I came up with. GM appears to be the only manufacturer using the outdated "wax" technology on their truck frames. Ford and Dodge have moved on to electrocoating their frames.

A friend of mine who bought a $60,000.00 Duramax Sierra told me he hated that GM still waxed their frames but the Colorado/Canyon were being e-coated. Mine definitely has an painted like as opposed to "waxed" finish. Perhaps he is correct, but not much info is available on line.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've been thinking of doing this before winter. Any one think its a bad idea
https://www.theruststore.com/Fluid-Film-1-Gallon-Can-P181C67.aspx
Well if we can determine that ours are e-coated then that will not be necessary. :smile2:

Here is an informative post I came across on another forum:

Wax coating is just that a wax coating sprayed on just like Rusty Jones used to do in the 1980's- factory undercoating for GM. It will scrape off but is self healing for minor scrapes. The E-Coat is an electrochemical dip the chassis passes through (just like electro plating) which adheres the coating to all surfaces, inside and out better than the wax. The Ecoating is supposed to be more durable and scratch resistant, which based on what my truck has been through (plowing and high salt content winters for it's whole life) does work better.

Wax coating is a hold over from past generations of vehicle manufacture. It is a predictable method because it was widely used. Updating multiple factories to use a newer method costs a significant amount so I think they were doing it on a trial basis on the US made trucks with the intent to upgrade other plants in the future.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I understand the frame might not need it but was thinking of the body panels and such, at least what can be sprayed without drilling.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
As far as I know, all GM truck cabs and body panels are cycled through the "Elpo" process whereby the entire body, doors, etc are separately dipped as components into an electrically charged anti rust primer bath. The full sized SUV trucks were done this way even back in 1995 for body panels.

The frames come in the plant from the supplier for a particular truck vehicle. Whether of not they are "Elpo'd" is a question and would be determined by what GM specs on the frames.

The frames on the Gen I Colorado were just spray painted black with anti rust paint. After a few years the welds and edges of frame components would start to show rust. I used to spray black anti rust farm implement paint and touch up the spots that started to show rust on my 2005 and 2010 Colorado.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went out for lunch and looked under my friends 2015 or 2016 GMC Sierra. Ran my fingernail across the fame and sure enough it was covered with a thick black wax like material. Came right off and caked up under my fingernail.

Looked under my Colorado and the frame is indeed e-coated. A rock hard finish. No wax/tar coating.

I guess with the twins being a somewhat new generation GM decided to incorporate e-coating the Gen 2's. I guess my friend who bought a Sierra Duramax knew what he was talking about.

This a good for us Colorado/Canyon owners. It is better system than the wax method. GM needs to get their act together and start doing this on their full size models.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Went out for lunch and looked under my friends 2015 or 2016 GMC Sierra. Ran my fingernail across the fame and sure enough it was covered with a thick black wax like material. Came right off and caked up under my fingernail.

Looked under my Colorado and the frame is indeed e-coated. A rock hard finish. No wax/tar coating.

I guess with the twins being a somewhat new generation GM decided to incorporate e-coating the Gen 2's. I guess my friend who bought a Sierra Duramax knew what he was talking about.

This a good for us Colorado/Canyon owners. It is better system than the wax method. GM needs to get their act together and start doing this on their full size models.
Yup , I just checked mine and the frame does, indeed seems to be tank dipped. The frame has the typical cutouts and hollows to allow flow of material into and out of the frame members. A nice good coating over welds as well. Hope it holds up in winter road salt.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup , I just checked mine and the frame does, indeed seems to be tank dipped. The frame has the typical cutouts and hollows to allow flow of material into and out of the frame members. A nice good coating over welds as well. Hope it holds up in winter road salt.
Yep, we should be good to go. Taking it one step further that just tank dipped. The electro coating process really bonds the material/paint to the surface. The Gen2 twins ought to really stand up great to harsh environments.

Again, I knew nothing about this until my friend who went out and bought a new GMC Sierra told me about it. He thinks those trucks are still built on a line that uses the waxing process and that the twins being vintage 2015 got the new e-coat process. Cheers!

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Yes they are coating the Colorado, Canyon frames. They used to wax the old S10 and Canyon and it could get messy working on them in hot weather. Both of my waxed frames never had rust issues over 12 years even in out salty environments.

I expect the new gen GM full size trucks to get the same treatment when they come out in a year as the twins. Often deals like this are updated at platform changes on the line. Also GM has to address the Aluminum they will be adding to the trucks too. It also has to be treated to prevent the corrosion. Just look at the back hatch of a Ford SUV in the snow belt and the paint is just falling off and it can be pitted.

The bodies for the most part have held up well. The major concerns have been door seams that can bubble rust and the fender lips on the beds.

In the past the Plastic fender lips also have been an issue as they can move just a little and dirt got behind them creating a rust area. The new mounting appears to have prevented that.

I noticed the new coating when I was truck shopping. I saw people complaining on the wax on the full size but noted the small trucks no longer used it.

No matter what you do in a harsh environment often the truck will get 12-14 years before rust is a major issue. Often anymore brake lines are the issue now. Fuel line on some that are not plastic.

From what I see anymore on many vehicles the lower doors and the rockers are where much of the issues are and some suspension parts that are not aluminum or cast iron.

We used to just spray the old plow trucks with used tranny fluid and Diesel fuel. Diesel leaves a coating and helps. It can be messy if you do not have a good place to do it at.

Many old farm tractors are preserved because farmers used to wash them down with Diesel.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Yep, we should be good to go. Taking it one step further that just tank dipped. The electro coating process really bonds the material/paint to the surface. The Gen2 twins ought to really stand up great to harsh environments.

Again, I knew nothing about this until my friend who went out and bought a new GMC Sierra told me about it. He thinks those trucks are still built on a line that uses the waxing process and that the twins being vintage 2015 got the new e-coat process. Cheers!

Yes, the Full sized trucks and some others still use the wax dip. On some old truck what seems to happen with the wax is that it eventually dries out enough and can peel a bit. The, in areas that use winter road salt the peeling spots can hold moisture, salt dust and then start to rust.

Similar things can happen with some rust proofing materials as they age. Spray on rust proofing and wax can also, sometimes, block holes and passages that are designed to be drain points.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Google GM frame wax and you'll see what we're talking about.

Here's a GM service bulletin mentioning such.

https://gm.oemdtc.com/3302/frame-coating-appearance-2014-2015-cadillac-chevrolet-gmc
I know what it is and what it does. Our trucks don't have it nor does my Camaro which had surface rust on almost all the underside black parts from the factory so I disassembled the suspension to fix or replace them all. My new Canyon has the same issue. The Pontiacs and Chevys I used to own had the same issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've searched here and on the net and can't seem to find an answer.

The frame on my 2017 Colorado appears to be e-coated (not a thick wax finish). Did GM e-coat the Colorado/Canyon frames at some point as opposed to the old method of "waxing" them, which they supposedly still do on the full size models?
I can't say for sure but I know they have an Ecoat Line at GM and or Chevy. I know this because I built there Ecoat Line alone with ford and dodge and all the others

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, 2nd gen Colorado frames are e-coated.
I joined just to comment here even though it's old. My dad works in the Hopkinsville plant, on the Colorado frame line, he has been with the Colorado frames since they were prototypes. He spent almost 2 months in Mexico to help them set up the line, then helped install it and shake all the bugs out in Hopkinsville. They also built the 2wd S-Series frames(S-10/Sonoma). They have been e-coating frames in Hopkinsville since the early/mid 90's. 2wd S trucks unfortunately didn't get e-coat, but the 1994 4wd S10 donor frame I have is e-coated. The 2nd gen Colorado frames are e-coated. They are then shipped to Wentzville, MO and what happens after that, no idea. But, they are e-coated right before they go through QC then out the door to Wentzville.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.