Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 diesel crew cab has started to light up the brake lights at random times during the day while I am not driving it. Parked in my driveway, brake lights illuminate, and stay illuminated until the battery dies. No amount of messing with the pedal will change this. I took it to my dealer and they said there were no codes being thrown. And they could not recreate the problem. I also think I have a windshield leak directly in front the drivers seat above steering wheel column. They also said they couldn't find that after a "rain test." I have 15000 miles on the truck and have not been in any accidents. Anyone think the leak could cause an intermittent brake switch problem?
Anyone have similar issues?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went through something similar to this for a year while my dealer fumbled around to find the issue. Brake lights coming on randomly even with the vehicle off. Cruise control would not stay engaged on the highway, etc. Ended up being a bad connector deep in the dash board which they had to take apart to fix. They could never fin any codes or anything else wrong. To add to it the bad connector was not on the wiring schematic for the 2016 canyon. They tried to blame me for two foot driving for the brake light...until it was sitting in there bay with the lights coming on. Replaced all the brake switches,etc but it was a bad wiring connector in the dash as stated above.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My 2016 diesel crew cab has started to light up the brake lights at random times during the day while I am not driving it. Parked in my driveway, brake lights illuminate, and stay illuminated until the battery dies. No amount of messing with the pedal will change this. I took it to my dealer and they said there were no codes being thrown. And they could not recreate the problem. I also think I have a windshield leak directly in front the drivers seat above steering wheel column. They also said they couldn't find that after a "rain test." I have 15000 miles on the truck and have not been in any accidents. Anyone think the leak could cause an intermittent brake switch problem?
Anyone have similar issues?

can make contact
Does the brake pedal have a switch mounted near it were the pedal contacts it to activate the brake lights? If so, it might need adjusted because it is just making contact enough to turn the lights on and disengage your cruise control. Wife has our truck so can't take a look for myself. Could also be up high in the dash also. Just an idea. MADMAC

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went through something similar to this for a year while my dealer fumbled around to find the issue. Brake lights coming on randomly even with the vehicle off. Cruise control would not stay engaged on the highway, etc. Ended up being a bad connector deep in the dash board which they had to take apart to fix. They could never fin any codes or anything else wrong. To add to it the bad connector was not on the wiring schematic for the 2016 canyon. They tried to blame me for two foot driving for the brake light...until it was sitting in there bay with the lights coming on. Replaced all the brake switches,etc but it was a bad wiring connector in the dash as stated above.
I will run that by them when I bring it in next, they said to wait until it happens again and drop it off, they are super bad at having a loaner car for me to drive so it is tough to leave it there for any length of time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can make contact
Does the brake pedal have a switch mounted near it were the pedal contacts it to activate the brake lights? If so, it might need adjusted because it is just making contact enough to turn the lights on and disengage your cruise control. Wife has our truck so can't take a look for myself. Could also be up high in the dash also. Just an idea. MADMAC
The first time it happened I attempted to look for the brake switch to adjust it myself but I couldn't locate it at 3am, or at noon when I tried again. The dealer mentioned that the brake switch may not even be adjustable though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As a new Colorado owner, I have the question: Can you take it to a different dealer without any penalty? Meaning, if you can get it figured out elsewhere will the warranty and whatnot be covered?

If one place cant figure it out, doesn't mean another one cant, ya know? Good luck on getting it figured out.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
As a new Colorado owner, I have the question: Can you take it to a different dealer without any penalty? Meaning, if you can get it figured out elsewhere will the warranty and whatnot be covered?

If one place cant figure it out, doesn't mean another one cant, ya know? Good luck on getting it figured out.
You should be able to take it to any Chevy dealership in the country.

Reactions: RatRacer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The truck ended up having the issue last week again and I was able to bring it into the dealer while it was happening. Turns out that there was a pinched wire bundle behind the brake pedal causing a short. I'm not sure exactly where, but it has been working fine since they fixed it. Hope it doesn't happen to anyone else and my truck was just a fluke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.